Error CE-34878-0

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by 9001BPM, Oct 26, 2021.

1. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Noticing a spike in instances of this. It even happened during a boss battle which is very unusual. Anyone else or is it on my end?
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  3. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Without knowing their software and it's naming convention, that is more than likely a memory error. Other than a memory error, maybe client-server miscommunication(timeouts, etc). Best thing is to update Windows(if on windows) then update video card drivers and other drivers. Tech support will TRY to say it's client side but programs crashing are USUALLY memory errors.
  4. Jcal Dedicated Player

Just standard PS4/PS5 crash stuff.

Lately, I'm crashing a bunch on teleport and the game crash actually shuts down my PS5. Freaking sucks as the system doesn't immediately respond after the crash. It's like a forced 15 min break, lol.

But that isn't a DCUO specific issue. That behavior has been reported across various PS5 games (Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Returnal, etc).
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ah yes...the 'warp to blackscreen' problem. Yeah, warp/flee/teleport/door all have an issue of popping this. IT's been around since PS3 at least. This is one of the reasons I go insane with things like Meta/Synn who have a teleport attack where I've been disconnected several times while fighting them. Its a major PITA and I think contributes a lot to the tendency to see people 'taking a knee' if knocked down in a fight vs fleeing, then losing loot/credit.
    • Like x 2
  6. Darth Piper Loyal Player

This error appears to be like the Windows error that was called "General Protection Fault"... in the Software Engineering industry it is called a "memory leak." What this means is that the program attempted to access a memory location it was not allowed to, whether it was to read from or write to it. The trick with them is finding the cause. I've diagnosed a couple of memory leaks, and trust me they can be a pain in the tuchus to find. Sometimes you look at the code and go, "Oh yeah! I'm stupid." Other times you have to add all kinds of debug statements, use memory mappers, core dump tracing... and it will be a week later before you figure out what's going on.

In this case there are 3 possibilities:
    1. The error exists in the PlayStation firmware... unlikely, and there is nothing Daybreak can do about this other than report the issue to Sony for them to fix
    2. The error exists in Unreal Engine 3... quite possible, but Daybreak can only report the problem to Unreal and I don't know how much support Unreal is currently providing for this version any more
    3. The error exists in the DCUO code... also quite possible, and the best thing we can all do is submit crash reports to Sony every time it happens because this can give the Daybreak folks data to examine and find the fault... and this assumes they get the crash reports from Sony and have people who can sit there and dissect them
    My experience is mostly that the problem occurs during a teleporting situation... using a teleporter, warping, or fleeing after being KOed. The problem also tends to occur when trying to determine where to place me upon arrival because when I sign back in after using a teleporter or warping, I always seem to be in the location where I was headed, not at the location where I started. Since they turned off whatever that "feature" (I forget its name) was regarding rejoining from where you were without loss of supercharge, instance team spot, etc, you can't end up back in the instance but instead are returned to the location where you were when you entered the instance in question. This isolates it to "arrival" code... and as silly as this sounds, it could just be that you tried to occupy a spot that was claimed by someone or something else a split second before you but the system hasn't had time to shift you that one pixel over.
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

'Linkdead' was the name. I still miss it. I had way more success with it than the few times it was stupid aggravating. Way more aggravation to constantly get kicked from instances by fleeing or using a teleporter then losing my progress, SC and wasting time having to rebuild a group or whatever I had done to the point I was dropped. Not sure why it wouldn't still be viable, if thye put it back in with 2 min timer vs the 10 or whatever it was that seemed to cause the most headache for people. 2 min is more than enough time to relaunch the program after a crash, then sign back in.
    • Like x 1
  8. VariableFire Loyal Player

Well, I'm glad someone enjoyed Linkdead. It never worked right for me, it'd end up crashing my console completely requiring a full reboot and scan for possible drive damage. Heck, one time it prevented me from playing any of my alts, as it felt like as soon as I switched an invisible timer started to crash time.
  9. Darth Piper Loyal Player

When it worked, LINKDEAD worked well... and then there were those "dead zones" in South Gotham (Bottled Building area) where if you found yourself in one it would repeatedly sign you in then sign you out... until you waited 15 minutes for the sweep to remove the linkdead pointer. There were problems with it, and I believe it was more related to PC than to PS... but I seem to remember people were using it to glitch things and get extra rewards and stuff... and the folks at Daybreak looked at the effort required to find and fix what was wrong vs just killing it and applying the resources to other problems they obviously opted for the latter.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Oh I know that there were problems but I know a lot of the problems seemed to stem from when you were 'stuck' in linkdead or the like...which required the full timer to crap out. That's why I was saying a 2-3 min timer would be more like it, and on the times you did get 'stuck' it wouldn't be the end of the world to let it burn the timer off.

Exploits, I'm not sure. Again, I'd guess a shorter timer would help in fighting those, but yeah...the savvy exploiter will always find a way to exploit something the rest of us would like to have.
    [IMG]