Throne of the Dead is un PUGable

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dominic Blue, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I really don't know how new players are going to handle STU during the WW stage but it's pretty apparent that you'll always need two Tanks who know what they're doing for the first boss of Ares and separating the Essence of War from him to move on. I just qued in to both Regular and Event versions of TotD and even though I can help in Tanking we never got another one who could help. Most players said they just qued into the role of Tank and wouldn't have the first clue what to do. Do you really need to use LFG to get past Regular or even Event content? Not sure what to make of this but it's evident you either have to completely run with friends and Leagues to get anywhere to advance. I mean if this was going to be a thing where an old Raid with very specific mechanics was going to be a thing couldn't there be more communication with the player base? I feel there'll be a lot more players quitting this out of frustration. Gatekeeping content for veteran players isn't very cool.
    • Like x 17
  2. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Should have been Olympus.
    • Like x 9
  3. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

This was going to be a problem everyone could see . They should of picked Gates as the raid .
    • Like x 18
  4. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Yeah.... that was to be expected.

This will be pretty much unplayable for most group sadly.
    • Like x 10
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Or... going with classics, what about Gates of Themyscira?

Throne of the Dead was probably chosen as it is the easiest to upscale, since it was the first Elite raid.

Edit: Is probably pugable if you go into it with the correct group makeup, with 2 of every role, but most assuredly not random queue-able, because you will probably end up with like 1 of each role...
    • Like x 7
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I just want to make sure your realize ToTD has always been unpuggable. Not because you can't get the 2 tanks*...but you cant always eliminate the 1 yahoo who won't quit hitting the essence. Only when AM was active could you just bulldoze your way over the mechanic. Even right before 41 and the clamp went in, if a god level group popped in there, that one CR skip toon could screw it up.

Get them kicking boots shined up boys....they are gonna get a workout.

*one tank is really all that's needed as long as the other 7 players agro Ares, cover the add doors and stay far from the essence, pets off, etc...event/reg at least
    • Like x 12
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

We'll see. It won;t be the first time I've done it at tier with a group made from mystery meat....
    • Like x 3
  8. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

Just ran the event version since I used a jump skip switched to one of my tanks to help when it became apparent that we had 2 inexperienced tanks and it took 70 minutes cause always had the noob that just got in after wipe hitting essence and even after sending group msg and msg directly they still kept hitting essence. Not to mention punisher mechanics and cursed shade mechanics and totem master mechanics and reflect mechanics that hades does oh and he will send any group using solo tank and heal down getting everyone who doesn't get sent down to the chamber s killed. THIS RAID IS GONNA BE THE MOST UNPUGGABLE RAID!!! Event version caused 7 wipes and two was before the boss cause of punisher. Why did u think this was a good idea to make this the raid?
    • Like x 7
  9. Neb153 Level 30

The devs were in an awkward position because of the other half of the forums was calling everything too easy, which is fair, but not being able to do the regular version of this with a PUG feels kind of ridiculous to me.
    • Like x 9
  10. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I could see this situation happening from miles away, this was bound to happen. ToTD really wasn't the best choice considering the current skill level of the player base. People have been playing on easy mode for years and with the clamp making mechanics and communication a whole lot more important, stuff like ToTD is going to be rough for A LOT of players. After trying to pug it myself with randoms, I don't see many people outside of LFG/League runs completing ToTD... the devs should've used Gates or Olympus.

I think the devs overestimate the skill level of their community. Very poor decision on their end.
    • Like x 9
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Of all the Wonder Woman raids, why this one? :( Sorry Rip, I’m not doing your time sphere weekly again until the other raids are enabled again.
    • Like x 6
  12. zNot Loyal Player

Thats why i said during testing feedback to make essense (on regular version) attackable by any roll not just the tank.
    • Like x 6
  13. L T Devoted Player

It's never been pug-friendly. That having been said, I pugged it successfully a few weeks ago as Omni content. On the other hand, today's attempt at pugging is was a complete disaster.

Hopefully in a few weeks everyone gets the hang of things and becomes comfortable with the mechanics. Until then there's always TD
    • Like x 2
  14. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I'm not going to lie, I have not been happy with the choice of content for STU since the beginning. It's like they picked the most tedious and boring content associated with each of the trinity members and threw it at us. I know they had to create an artificial grind in order to keep the players active until EP42 but this was just awful all around.
    • Like x 6
  15. Darth Piper Loyal Player

This is a major gripe I have with the system. On a random queue-in there are plenty of scenarios by which this raid will automatically fail. The system should be assigning 2 people the "Tank" role no matter what. It is a known mechanic, was designed to be that way, and needs to be added to the matchmaker process.
    • Like x 6
  16. BumblingB I got better.

Be glad we have the ability to turn on role optional in settings. It was far worse before.

Also, it technically does look for 2 of each role, but it's not smart in any ways. It can't tell if a player is lying, as an example. Also, it will try to get a full group, but result in picking just 8 players that queued as a last resort. You get a bigger feel of this when on a low population server, like the switch. You can have a raid with no roles altogether and only DPS listed as queued in on the group list symbols.
    • Like x 4
  17. Darth Piper Loyal Player

That's another issue for a different thread... the ability to queue in with a role that you either cannot or refuse to play simply because you want to speed up your queue and 3 or 7 other people be damned. In the case of TOTD stricter enforcement of the "two of every role" thing should be implemented... partly because of first boss, partly because of last boss... yes, last boss... just in case anyone has forgotten, one of every role is teleported outside every now and again but because of the 5x1 meta that everyone wants, regardless of how impractical it can be, it's tends to slip people's notice.
    • Like x 3
  18. JailhouseBat Active Player

In all honesty getting wiped in TOTDE was a possibility before the clamp lol. We failed at Death Proof not too long ago because the experienced players all got transported downstairs and the rest of the group got picked off like flies lol.
    • Like x 2
  19. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

Can't even get into a pug group that can get past the 1st boss .....
    • Like x 2
  20. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Should have been Gates. That way it would've been way easier to get these f***ing counter feats.
    • Like x 8