Totally new to the Controller Role

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ThePAW, Oct 15, 2021.

1. ThePAW New Player

Hey guys and gals,

I'm not new to MMO's. Been playing them for many, many years. I totally get the standard non-DPS roles, like tank and heal. I mainly play those on other MMO's. I'm not even really new to DCUO anymore, having taken a healer to around CR 310 on the EU server.

As I've been trolling the forum here, I've seen some talk about the lack of good non-DPS role characters. Seeing as how I much prefer a support role in group content, I figured I'd take a look-see at the Controller role and try to figure it out. I've got CR 70+ character who apparently would make a good Troll... a Gadget/Martial Arts/Acrobatic character.

I understand gear. That's a no-brainer. Augments I got figured out as well. Those were both easy enough. Relics is still a bit of a question however. Where I'm stuck though, is that I've noticed that folks here say that there aren't a lot of Power Healing Trolls. Apparently, most Trolls are a combination of Buff/Debuff and some CC. So I looked into my Loadout and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of abilities that actually give Power back to the group. Really only two; a Group Power Heal and a Supercharge (the turret thing I can't remember the name of).

So, the question is then: how does one set up a good Power Healing Troll.

Also, on a side note: anybody looking for a totally noob Troll and willing to run with them through some group content? :)

I'm SableDefender on the PC/US server.
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The main way Controllers give power is through their innate Power Over Time (POT) ability. Casting any ability in your loadout will trigger POT for the group. The strength of your POT ticks are connected to your Vitalization stat.

The other ways that you already mentioned is through your Group Power Heal / Group Weapon Buff ability which gives a moderate heal to you and three group members with the highest Power percentage. Also your Group Shield / Group Power Heal supercharge ability which protects you plus seven group members and restores additional power over time.

There are a couple different setups for Controller because they have two optional playstyles but the most efficient artifacts for power healing are:
    Amulet of Rao: Your Controller Debuffs are stronger and hit additional enemies near your target.
    Parasite's Power Harness: Hitting an enemy with a Controller Debuff grants you and up to 7 group members Power equal to a percentage of your Vitalization, and Precision equal to a percentage of your Vitalization. This effect stacks for each type of Controller Debuff used.
    Scrap of the Soul Cloak: Increases your maximum Supercharge and Supercharge generation by a percentage and reduces your Supercharge ability cooldowns by a percentage. Restore 7% max Supercharge after using a Supercharge ability.
    • Like x 1
  3. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

Welcome to the club and be prepared to be driven crazy...LOL. Just like with healing, trolling on DC has a really funky line of sight thing. Sometimes you never notice it, other times, it almost seems like if there is a small pebble between you and someone they don't get power....I hate to see low power bars and it drives me completely insane when something stupid blocks line of sight and someone important (like the healer or tank) does not get power.

My main has always been Quantum, but I have alts of every power but water, but honestly not many of them have seen the light of day since stats revamp so I could not give you any advice on good powers to use within gadgets. I also use different artifacts then what was mentioned above.

My best advice while you start your adventure in trolldom is really find what works and is fun for you. Other then that make the tank and healer your priority focus for maintaining power, and DPS's secondary. Ads you don't really have to worry about debuffing, but make sure you keep them up on bosses (some will get scripted buffs for defense that you can't debuff, so don't get too worried if you are debuffing and you can't from time to time) Make yourself available to works cogs and do pick-ups. Since we have a passive POT the works with any power we use, it is easier for us to do that so the healer and tanks don't have to....DPS's could but then it might mess up their scoreboard chasing.
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

160 or better Strategist Card, maxed out Critical Power Chance and Magnitude, Escalating Replenishing Procs mod, and if you have 6 slots of Elite Gear - Debuff Efficiency. You CAN dump a bunch of SP into Vit, if you want - you won't need to though. This is DEFINITELY a later-game build.
    • Like x 1
  5. DeeOweEnn New Player

For me, specifically for gadgets, Its nice to use stealth to hold additional powers. That's usually where I keep my supercharge and some CC abilities for controller. In addition, the hologram decoy is nice to have on hand for emergencies.

"when in doubt, bring your own tank" -me