A name reset would be nice .

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Zaar, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

They're going to do it when they feel it's necessary, not when the players want it. So while it's your opinion that it's way overdue, the facts don't support your feelings.
    • Like x 2
  2. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Yeah, it's unfortunate.

Totally agree with your second point.
    • Like x 1
  3. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I'm really curious as to why it's "way overdue". I also wonder how many people really want this to happen.
    • Like x 1
  4. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Indeed, that is my opinion. Much like how it's your opinion that a reclaim would be useless, players are entitled, and other things you have implied when responding to this topic. And yet, the community manager has already confirmed it's going to happen anyway. So if the "facts don't support my feelings", then the same applies to you as well.

Personally, I'm willing to wait however long it takes. And on the contrary to your implications about player entitlement, I have no issues with any owner of any name logging into the game whenever they feel just to save their name from deletion. I am all for the original owners having sufficient prior notice. If they log in, even after a 5 year break, retain their name, log out for another 5 years, I support that, because they've demonstrated that they care about their name, even if they can't be bothered to play. As for name hoarders, I can see why that would be a concern. But some name hoarders are willing to sell the names they obtain. And people are willing to grind up whatever cash is necessary to obtain such names. I was. I grinded 17 billion, my leaguemate grinded 18 billion, and as we speak one is grinding 20 billion. Just to buy and wear the names we want. The possibility of a name being sold even for high amounts makes it more likely someone truly determined to obtain a name can accomplish that goal.
    • Like x 1
  5. Tharkis The Pretty Kitty Princess

There are also people who may take long breaks and come back who , if you remove their names from their characters, will just quit forever instead. I mean... i went almost 2 years without logging in at one point, but I still had my subscription paid up. If you really want a solution, you need a solution that allows two people to be called the same name yet remain unique , like "display name" vs 'uuid name" similar to what discord does, or blizzard does.

I mean.... we've got multiple The Flash even in canon !
  6. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

It's overdue because as I said, Mepps already repeatedly confirmed it's going to happen for over at least a year if I'm not mistaken. And it's been nearly seven years since the last reclaim.

Many, many players want this to happen. Players in-game, as well as the players creating threads on this exact same topic time and time again over the years.

Why are names so desirable? Names are unique. There can only be one. So a name to me holds far more value than any aura, material, having 200 artifacts, etc. I'd imagine others feel the same way or similar.

Why are one-word names in particular so desirable? This is subjective, but people tend to agree one-word names are simply better in general. They are easier to see, easier to pronounce, look better, and for me personally, (it really depends on the name itself) the best part about them is that they look official. Like a name you would see a comic book/TV/movie character use. What do the names "Venom", "Storm", "Flash", "Raven" all have in common? They are short, clean, beautiful one-word names. And what's more, the names are an integral part of that character's theme. Their name, despite it being only one word, tells you about the character. Same logic can apply in-game. And let me tell you, each of those names I mentioned could sell as high as 15 to 20 billion, (the ones that are valid) and that's being generous.

Why don't people just get "creative"? Again, subjective, but I was "creative" with my character's names for many years. First, "ShadowMorphX7", then "ShadowTheHunter", eventually "The Huntsmaster". Those names were okay for their time, but as I grew older and my concept of my character became more mature and sophisticated, I realized the value of a one-word name, the traits I described above. Now my character's name is "End", a name I spent months grinding billions to obtain. My character is the personification of destruction for any soul it targets. "The End" given form. With the name "Death" being invalid, I am very pleased with it. With what I described, it shouldn't be difficult to see how one-word names are no less creative than what players typically come up with as a substitute, the opposite could be argued.

Hopefully my rambling provided some insight.
    • Like x 1
  7. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I never said one worded names are less creative but in the end, it still doesn't make sense why we should do name reclaims.
  8. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

I never said that you said one-word names are less creative, it's just that that is a common talking point I see used by those who oppose the reclaim. There still appears to be much confusion as to why names are desirable, why people want the reclaim, etc. I shared all of that to help anyone reading look at it from a different perspective.
  9. OnlyNomad The One Above All

One-worded names were made really popular by people who deal in trading names and scamming. They created a market by making a bunch of goofballs think that having a name like "Activate" is cooler. I haven't seen anyone bring up one-worded names as a common talking point to oppose the reclaim, most people (that I see) who are against it, are because it makes no sense at all.

The only reason people want a name reclaim is because they're either uncreative or plan to make money off snagging some names.
    • Like x 1
  10. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

I've seen it. Especially when the reclaim is occasionally brought up in-game, such as in trade chat. Perhaps they believe so because one-word names are typically the kind of names people plan to obtain during a reclaim, though not always. That because of how they are common words, that they are inherently less creative, thus the reclaim is pointless. Who knows, they would be better to ask.

The idea that someone is uncreative just because someone else got to their name of choice first baffles me. Their idea of a name could be very creative, even taking on a different twist for their character than the person who claimed the name first. Just because a name is available to use or unavailable doesn't make it creative or good and vice versa. And if a person wants to sell names, so what? Many people would rather have to pay for a name than it be left forever claimed by someone who never plans on returning to the game. And perhaps name selling might be some player's path to wealth after being chronically unlucky with time capsule or booster bundle drops.

Other MMOs have regular name purges. So, it clearly makes sense to many people. And what I don't get is, if you're an active player, the reclaim doesn't affect you negatively at all. So why complain about it?

Mepps said that here last year. So, regardless of what you and others who oppose the reclaim believe, it appears that is the direction the game will be going. If that's unbearable then you all have the task of convincing the developers to think otherwise.
  11. OnlyNomad The One Above All

It's usually brought up here or especially on trade chats by people who deal in selling/buying names. I'd argue that the vast majority of those in favor of a name reclaim are in it for financial reasons.

Got their name first? How can you say it's your name if they got it first? This whole debacle is really mind boggling. If someone has the name before you, it's theirs. Period, final.

Again, even if you have grander plans for a name that is already taken, it doesn't matter. someone thought of it first and they should have the right to it.

If you want to buy/sell names go ahead, I couldn't care less but nothing will change my mind on how it's goofy.

I do believe that the economy is being inflated by a number of things, including name selling/buying but that's a whole different issue I don't want to tackle here tonight.

I'm curious which other MMOs have "regular" name purges? Only MMOs I know that did a name purge was SWTOR and WoW and it was because of a server merge.

Again I'm only speculating but I think the next name "purge" or 'reclaim' will come around with the next server merge. I don't care much for the developers decision but it still doesn't change my opinion on how stupid it is to do outside of server merges.
    • Like x 2
  12. Beat Active Player

Actually most MMOs especially foreign MMOs have name recycling systems implemented, they don't need a "name reclaim" event because it's a constant system
    Or they have naming IDs with #s (like discord).

You hate the idea of losing the name you rarely use?

Imagine the idea of NEVER getting a name you'd appreciate because it's locked behind some guy who probably died, doesn't play at all, or simply logs in to look at it.

I personally don't care too much for a name reclaim but I completely understand people's frustration with the broken naming system, actually we don't even HAVE a naming system lol. It's like hungry hungry hippos except whowever get it's first keeps it foreeeverr (mwahahaa)
    • Like x 1
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

No one is really confused about why certain names are desirable or why people want the reclaim. The issue is that people have this sad mistaken belief that a name reclaim now (after the last two) will magically free up those highly desirable names that have been hoarded up. The only way people are getting those sweet names is by saving their BILLIONS and hitting up one of those hoarders sitting on the name they want.

The only thing a name reclaim will do right now is produce a crapton of disappointment for players. Days after a name reclaim happens you'll see lots of pointless threads begging them to do yet another reclaim that will only produce the same results. Name reclaims only serve one real purpose, helping the Devs deal with identical names in different servers being merged. Some few lucky individuals might benefit from the by-product of some names freeing up...the rest will be left with feces in their hands. How do I know this...??? Because that is exactly what happened the last time, and is the very reason why these threads pop up like a herp flare up.

The real fix is coming up with a better naming convention, or for a temporary fix, add an extra space for names. The second suggestion won't help with single name options (nothing will at this point), but it'll open up some options for a little bit.
    • Like x 3
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Mepps is merely stating that at some point (likely when some type of merger occurs) they'll do another name reclaim. Nowhere in there does he state that they plan to do this on a regular or semi-regular basis...or even that it's coming soon. Just that it will happen eventually.

Just for the record, i'm not "opposing" a name reclaim...i'm telling people to get their heads out of the clouds. The chances of people getting the names they want in the next reclaim are gonna be real slim. Most people will only reclaim hot bags of disappointment and fail.
    • Like x 3
  15. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

If its a choice between a slim chance and no chance, I choose slim chance EVERY time.
  16. Magician Dedicated Player

17. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Precisely, you are basically restating what I wrote. A name reclaim will happen eventually. ETA is undetermined. Whatever form it arrives in is fine with me, and I'm sure many others, as long as the process is conducted fairly.

Of course some people will be left with disappointment because they won't get to use a particular name. That's to be expected with the exclusive nature of names. But as I said in a previous thread on this same topic, you underestimate how many names could be freed up.

I've kept an eye on several names that I have never seen online, that never respond to mail, no one shouts to sell the name in-game or on websites outside the game, wavedox picture is still up so the name was used at some point before ~2016 but never deleted, and the name exists on a sub-level 30 toon or low CR from an ancient DLC. Could the owner be logging in on a secret alt that is in no way associated with that name and just never log in on it at all? Possibly. But unlikely considering how much money a person could stand to make by selling it. Or they could simply use that name if they valued it. Yes, some just care about the fact that they have the name and will never log into it or sell it. But then why just barely level/gear the character and put effort into it at all? Why not leave it as a level 1?

It's all speculation, but the point being, it's very possible that they're simply not playing the game anymore.

And in those cases and in similar cases, a lot of names could be freed up. There's a ton of names out there, each with their own situation.

And I know and have spoken with players who obtained their names in the last reclaim. Top-tier, insane, ultra-rare names. That they simply typed into the character creation screen. So, it stands to reason many people could find something in this next one, even if not their first choice.
    • Like x 1
  18. Beat Active Player

Though I do agree with this statement, you also have to be able to separate the "Real" from the "fake". Yes in the real world no one can just give a homeless person a house he really wants that's not being occupied just because he "wants" it.

But we're talking names on a MMO, your logic is basically "well the real world isn't fair so why should video games be", it should be because like I just said...it's a video game. Your crossing the real with the fake, but like I said I do agree with the points you made in a REAL world sense, but in a video game? Nah, that logic is honestly (no offense) dumb in my humble opinion.

Real world rules and logic and video game rules and logic shouldn't be the same or conflated/ blended together.
    • Like x 1
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This game is run by real people in the real world, with a very limited naming convention. Some people have gotten certain names, and the rest are left holding a bag of disappointment. That's the reality we're in until they make some very big fundamental changes.
  20. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

I disagree. Logic, fairness, and other things are consistent between the real world and video games. Kids play games. Having them be able to get what they want exclusively because they want it sets them up for failure in the real world. As a parent, I can't endorse the idea of having a separate logic for games. Kids learn a ton through games, I'd prefer they not learn the wrong things. (biased as a parent)
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.