Post Stats Clamp SP Relevancy

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Empress_Orana, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

Good evening, fellow gamers.

I’ve taken some time to really immerse myself in the new system of gameplay.

First off, Stat Clamp still remains a very positive direction for the game as a whole. The new On Duty needs to be cleaned up A LOT, but overall it’s good. I enjoy the random queuing directly into content.

Secondly, I know they removed CR relevancy, but it’s time to fix the skill points element of the game. Yes we can max out our role tree and then everything else goes into health or whatever secondary stars you may need.

However, overall this is absolute trash Bc a player who has spent years grinding and playing can easily be out done by someone willing to spend money and picking the Meta power of the month.

So tell me devs, why should we invest so much time and money in the game when lower players can spend a month or two raising their CR and be just as good or even better than veterans who have spent years “strengthening their character?

My proposed solution: make skill points a unofficial fifth artifact.

How to do it: set benchmarks (and even breakthroughs, Bc for some reason the devs love that) for skill point tiers that unlock special bonuses for your character. Go by the hundreds for example. 100sp = .5% might increase. 200sp = 1% might. 300= 3% might.

So on and so forth.

That will incentivize players going for feats, AND reward players who have already worked hard. This will also give the veteran players something that genuinely sets them apart from newer players with a credit card.
    • Like x 3
  2. Noxious Flora Well-Known Player

Uhh no.
    • Like x 12
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No.
    • Like x 9
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Nope.
    • Like x 7
  5. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Gotta say no.

Skill points, while valuable drop off sharply after you hit 100 for any one tree. After that the increase per point is VERY incremental.

No need to overhaul
    • Like x 5
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Player ability matters more in this game than most other MMOs. Stats are not and never have been the be-all, end-all aspect of the game, and someone simply spending money isn't going to automatically make them a better player. They still have to play their character. If their ability is lacking or excellent, it will show.

Beyond that, there are reasons why a new player could outdo a vet that DON'T rely on monetary expenditures. That new player could be a new character made by a veteran player who knows what they're doing. It could also be that the power set/weapon choices made by that player simply click for them better than one might expect. And if one is using the scoreboard as a metric (damage particularly) then it may simply be a matter of getting lucky in getting group buffs at opportune moments or just hitting the "critical" jackpot on a run.

The very fact that player ability matters more in this game means that veteran players are never guaranteed to be top of the heap.
    • Like x 6
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The number one factor when it comes to damage is skill. If you have max gear, arts, and high sp and “lose” to someone who barely has anything than instead of blaming “power of the month” or SP, try looking inward. You have more SP than it amplifies YOU. No reason in turning SP into something just to make sure new players don’t beat older vets. As a vet you should be looking for way to improve yourself.
    • Like x 6
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Massive yes, a little extra main stat (might in my case) would be a welcomed reward for the grind.
    Im in. No breakthroughs, but im in
  9. Lady Mystyk Active Player

A character with 150sp would not be able to out dps with 500 sp. The 500sp player would have might maxed out while the 150sp will only have 90 in might.

SP increases might by % of the stats (from gear). Unless that person just simply does not know how to dps it is next to impossible to out dps someone with 295sp in might. Excluding arts and augments.

Edit: So you do not like skill points because you think that someone can pay their way to the end, but you do not think they could do that with an artifact?

Like I said before edit....skill points increase stats by %. Which is exactly what you are proposing.
  10. Luke© Well-Known Player

I don’t agree with what you are proposing but it does need an overhaul, for example I am sitting on 672 Skill Points almost Maxing Prec and Might however might is virtually useless to me as a prec player yes it does add some extra damage but I would much prefer an extra 280 into Prec. This does need to be changed it would separate the 450 SP players from 670+ ones. Would also add more incentive to grind SP
    • Like x 1
  11. the solowing Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I think as evidenced by the other thread i necro’d (lol) your aginst because you want your low SP to keep you close to a 500+ player?
    Surely your not suggesting that because you dont feat hunt, no one elses feats should give them the edge?
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Gotta keep the game balance they are aiming for in mind, though. Trying to balance the game around someone who could pump all their points into one stat could very easily turn the incentive into a "must have" and that's not exactly ideal. On top of that, there'd be a very good chance of seeing diminishing returns on that kind of SP investment kick in much earlier or see the effect of those returns be much harsher, or both.
    • Like x 3
  14. the solowing Steadfast Player

You having more SP innately gives you a leg up. How many more advantages do you need?
    • Like x 1
  15. the solowing Steadfast Player

Skill points are not indicative of skill.
    • Like x 5
  16. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

This statement is soooooo true! If my skill points achieved depends on others performing their parts correctly, then it has no bearing on my skills. Plus it doesn't take much skill to collect a style. lol
  17. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

You lost me on the ‘fifth artifact’…did I miss #4 somewhere?

Sp as an artifact? You must be as coocoo as the devs to think of an idea like that.

Sp not as meaningful? I get that. I really do. Getting a style feat from crap box is really skill….lmao!

And for ppl going for feats? Lol. Seriously? Try running spindrift reg and tell them to disarm the manta bombs (because somehow they don’t matter). Was in a chat with friends yesterday and guess what, they wiped. Guess what the dps were doing, pew pew pe..boom booM (dead) BoOM bOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM (flee) BOOM BOOM! Good luck getting sp’s if you can’t even get past anything.
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Uh... OP, that is already being done in the EEG and if you are worried about actual end game, it's definitely a smaller portion where sometimes skill can overtake dedication. Usually if someone is new, they won't know the game like someone who's older and seasoned. Seasoned does not equate to skill, just they already know mechanics or instances they have ran many times over the years.

This just sounds like a useless time waster for the devs when they could actually develop something beneficial.
    • Like x 1
  19. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I say we get rid of stat clamping, because its a bad thing for this game as a whole, it makes it even harder to get older content done and really only benefits only both of the extreme minorities in the game; The people that wanted stat clamping so they could "experience the raid" and the people that want content super duper hard elite content for everyone. We all know how much the people that wanted clamping are benefiting. But the people that want super duper hard SM content for everyone, those people are benefiting because they can spam GoMe and Throne E ad naseum and sell those T3 pets for way higher than they're actually worth. Stat clamping going to hurt this game in the long run just like that super duper hard content has and will.
    • Like x 3
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

The short answer is "kind of", and the real answer is "no".

Pretty much no player with 100 SP, even with 200 level Artifacts, is going to outproduce a similarly competent player using similar Artifacts and 400 SP; you can afford to take some very interesting departures from Meta and still make bacon on the most stringently adherent, by-the-book build. There's a reason why there's a 30 page long thread from *one guy alone* begging for direct purchase SP, and there's a reason why so many people clamour for larger handouts with the CR Skip. There's also a reason why I DPS effectively using a giant Sword, even *after* the Doom Spin nerf.

SP are still very much the essential missing ingredient to top-tier output - period. Closing that gap means spending time in game and grinding, and nothing should change that. They work excellently at the moment - of the systems in this game, the one in the least need of an overhaul is the Skill Point system.
    • Like x 3