Your Theory on the Tank Shortage

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BaelinFishman, Sep 23, 2021.

1. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I love looking at all the DPS bumrush adds at the beginning of FVE while the tank is still loading in.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Way too much pressure on Tanks, especially in instances where you need to critically aggro enemies so that they won't 1 -shot other roles.
    • Like x 1
  3. Plowed In Loyal Player

How many tanks do you play?
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Because the groups blame them when anything ever goes wrong and treats them like #$^%
    • Like x 2
  5. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Healers reading this are like:

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  6. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

There's so many bad dpses that refuse to pick up a support role in general. They'd have more survivability if they played support, especially Tank. They'd even learn a thing or two about callouts and awareness.
    • Like x 3
  7. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I never encounter these DPSes who don't do pick-ups, who are these fiends you guys are running with? lol
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

DPS: WHY DID YOU LOSE AGGRO YOU POS. GET AGRRO
    Tank: It's a scripted attack, you have to block
    DPS: **** tank and do your ******* job and keep aggro, you #$%$% suck you dog.
    Tank: /leaves
    DPS: Good, get out, loser
    Tank2: Hey Guys
    DPS: I hope you have enough skill to keep aggro
    Tank: absolutely
    DPS: Good, we had a noob in here just before
    Tank: Cool, so are you aware of the scripted attack
    DPS: Starts vote to kick Tank 2
    • Like x 14
  9. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Seriously though, I think if the game's mechanics were more engaging and demanded that more people (especially the DPSes, ESPECIALLY) interact with certain things otherwise death would be inevitable or heavy penalties would occur, people would become a bit more pro-active. Also if existing mechanics were a bit more unforgiving to those who choose to ignore them, maybe that would entice some people to do more.

The big issue is a lot of DPSes just want to sit still and "Burn", there's not much else to the role so a lot of people focus on that solely.
    • Like x 2
  10. OnlyNomad The One Above All

DPS: YOU GOTTA TANK HIM IN THAT SPECIFIC SPOT OTHERWISE WE WIPE!!

Tank and Healer: Are you dodging that red circle on the floor and blocking when that skull appears?

DPS: I wouldn't have to if you tanked him in the right spot and if the Healer could heal through the damage, ya'll weak!!

Tank and Healer:

[IMG]
    • Like x 9
  11. Bubbla Active Player

Multiple reasons. Most good/great tanks run with their leagues and have been with those leagues for a time. For most of the reasons you all pointed out. To be fair, people that have tanks could do a better job of mentoring other tanks that are struggling when we are other roles. Not saying some dont, but enough sit back and allow the abuse which doesn’t make you any better. Want good tanks? 1) recruit 2) mentor 3) assist . Engenders loyalty and a willingness to help. If people crap on me while on my main when they selling (and no one saying anything), I give them a gg and dip. That being said, tanks need thick skin in this game.
  12. Canadian Justice Committed Player

The harder and more complex that content gets, the more communication an instance requires, the more likely it is that people stay within "known" circles. Whether that's just in league, maybe an allied league or a custom chat with several leagues, depends on the individual.

This is true for all roles, not just tanks. But there's typically less tanks in general, for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. So when a tanks start to isolate, it becomes noticeable alot faster than some roles.
    • Like x 5
  13. bull425 Well-Known Player

Since the mew dlc dropped, my fire character tanks almost all the time. I am happy because before it was burn and now i get to tank. Played 6 years and this is the most i have tanked period and still learning. It is fun.

I am mor concerned about content because i have barely run any of the tier 5 stuff, lol. I know, 6 years but i never had any characters cr close to endgame, lol
  14. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

My theory is most certainly the behaviour of non-tank people towards tank players, whenever there is something wrong most of the time people attack the tank and even when sometimes it is not the tank who is at fault, the dps criticize the tank and yet quite often the fault lies with the DPS players who don't apply the strats....
    • Like x 2
  15. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

LMAO this entire thread is just reminding me of running with a few members of the league I was in at the time and some randos and there was this one goober who thought he knew everything and everyone must bow down to his authority..... as every piece of advice he gave or strategy he told everyone to do was literally the exact opposite of what should actually be done and if anyone weighed in with any other opinions on what to do, no matter how respectfully and nice, he'd throw a hissy fit. We were struggling with a particular boss and kept dying over and over again and the goober started barking out terrible orders and the one I remember was him telling the tank (who was one of my then league-mates IIRC) to stay away from the boss and one of my then league-mates (one of the most well-versed in how the game works of the league) tried to explain that this order doesn't make any sense because the tank's whole job is to draw the boss's attention so everyone else can get in there and take the boss down, which kind of requires a degree of closeness to said boss (but just the right amount) and that the tank is essentially the one person that rule of keeping distance doesn't really apply to so much. The goober threw a tantrum and started a vote to kick her and... well.... it backfired.... The rest of the group instead started a vote and pretty unanimously voted to kick him instead. Fortunately that's the only personal encounter I can recall of anti-tank toxicity/hostility. I mean, I've had plenty of general toxicity and hostility directed at me or happening around me, including while tanking on Atomikit, but not really specifically about tanking.

Side note, my brain always expects munitions to be tank, probably because it draws a line connecting the concept of a tank to a literal tank to big guns and artillery, lmao.
    • Like x 1
  16. Clintelligence Level 30

Until very recently, the cash cap rendered repairs for a premium player Tank to fall somewhere ranging from super obnoxious to awkwardly cumbersome to downright impossible. Since Legendary players made up a very small minority of the population, it was no surprise that Tanks were the least plentiful role. A Premium Tank tries to run a raid, dies 3-4 times, and then has to leave because gear is broken.

That's my theory at least, since I know several people who said that was exactly their reason or experience that prevented them from being willing to Tank.

Now that the cash cap is lifted, those same Premium Players can finally start to Tank. However, due to the stat-clamping nerfs that were forcibly applied to all players, there is no option for new Tanks to allow themselves to out-gear an instance in order to practice until they are comfortable. Instead, they have to learn the basics of how-to-tank, exclusively in content that is designed to be challenging for players who already know what they're doing.

The game has no real tutorial, no explanation of roles or how to do your job; the only way to truly learn is by doing. So while the cash cap being lifted finally does make more players capable of doing it, it was accompanied by a change that made it significantly more difficult for these new Tanks to learn. A nice attempt to discourage as many of these potential new Tanks as possible.
    • Like x 1
  17. Miss Adora Loyal Player

If there is a shortage of tanks, I blame the we don't need tank people.

I don't tank often on my tank character, I use to quite a bit but I do remember one time running inner batcave alert. Had one noob blame me for not tanking Brother eye. I try to explain to them you can't tank brother eye, the attack is random. They were convinced you could.

FYI not holding aggro as a tank, you need more dom:p:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  18. InvisibleInk Active Player

I mean... there is one telegraph and it basically means nothing except when it doesn't.

I'm not saying I'd be a bad tank, but I feel like being a good tank is a bit more esoteric than it is in something like FFXIV and WoW, and as somebody that has played basically every type of tank there is in multiple MMOs, nobody has sat down and done anything close to a translation matrix for what the different classes in other mmos might like to play, and most of the guides for tanking/tanking builds are the opposite of concise.
  19. VariableFire Loyal Player

Over the years, the majority of the mechanics tended to screw with the tank role the most, mainly scripted attacks, even in 4mans. Remember Themyscira Divided where if a player moves far away they get lunged no matter what? Yeah, try convincing DPS of that. Off the top of my head I can't recall troll or healer being messed with nearly as much. And then you throw in rage timers on top of that...

So yeah, Tanks require knowledge of their role, knowledge of the instance, and a team that will either listen or already knows the instance, and knows how to play their roles too. Tanks need healing too sometimes. Trolls need to know when to stun and when NOT to stun (you can tell the rookie trolls by how spread out the stunned immovable ads are), DPS need to not stand between the tank and the enemy (good lord, I remember times I'd position multiple times to turn the boss and the DPS would jump in front of me every time).

Moreover, the game design for years has made tanks desirable only in raids and rarely 4mans. And that was only at or near endgame.

tldr: Tanking just isn't as fun.
  20. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I have 1 tank toon, but I've played all of the powers.