Handling Rude Players?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Saami Loyal Player

I doubt Sony, Daybreak or whoever owns DCUO rights will ban someone without solid proof. At least they should not.

My forum inbox is full of messages from mods about all kind of bad behaviour in this forum and here i am still. I am not proud of what i have said in past, but i take responsibility like a man.
    • Like x 1
  2. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Lol english is my native language and you can use “you/your” as a general term not an individualistic one. In general speak u can anyway.
    Im generalizing and your taking it personal. That however is specifically a “you” prob and has nothing to with me lol.
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Discouraging others to not report is part of the problem you need to understand that. You can't bully, suggest, or pressure anyone to not report when they are offended. THAT is toxic behavior and is actually what is hurting the game.

How about you not do something in fear of losing your money to? It's like saying "yeah, I used a speed hack, but only in solos, no group content? Why am I banned? It didn't hurt anyone else."

Everyone who plays this game is subject to the Terms of Service that we all signed when we first launched the game. Even if it was funny to you and a few friends, great, but it will not be funny to everyone else. Whether it be toxic behavior, off color jokes, or what, it is all under the TOS's guidelines and if reported can result in the loss of your thousands of dollars to.
    • Like x 2
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

It really isn't. If someone learns to treat other players with respect, they have nothing to worry about. If someone is toxic, and is banned for it, they have only themselves to blame.
    • Like x 1
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Well, you're welcome to have that opinion. That's not the same as having any kind of facts, however.
    • Like x 3
  6. Magnificent Loyal Player

It's a "better" decision for you. You don't get to decide if it's "better" for other people.
    • Like x 3
  7. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Regardless of root cause, or context?
    I mean, not everyone has such thin skin so maybe the one doing the reporting is the toxic player who instigated and instigated and when someone who never said a word finally gets fed up and says something, the toxic instigator grabs the SS an reports them.
    See, you for sure should not be reporting every player for every little thing. It needs to be serious enough to warrant a report otherwise we have the ignore option.
    This is the part alot of people seem to be missing. This is a 2 way street, even 2 actual friends joking back an foruth could be reported by someone else as toxic and per TOS even definitially prob is. That warrants a ban but what the accuser doesnt know is they are real life friends and wer ejust having fun with each other.
    See? We as a community should absolutly NOT look to reporting as the “go-to” move. It should be a last resort.
    I gave 2 real world examples and they are REAL examples where 2 people i knew got banned years ago.
    Both completly innocent, i even contacted support over one of them as i was there for thr conversation and vouched the a cuser didnt know us an didnt know we were friends an such. They coMpletly misunderstood, reported and a friend lost their acct over it even tho witnesses like myself proved and explained otherwise. Support didnt care, to them it was clear cut, the context didnt matter. The fact the accuser didnt have a clue didnt matter.

Reporting is serious business and its best reserved for serious reasons to report. We have the ignore option, it should be the 1st line of defence
  8. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's not quite it. He's not wanting to convince people to not report when they are offended, he's wanting to convince them to not report when he's not offended (it's a subtle difference). He's wanting his view to be the delineation point between what others deem offensive or not, not their own view nor DI's view.
    • Like x 2
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

And again, your trying to use your own criteria to determine what is/isn't toxic for everyone else. You don't get to make that choice for others.
    • Like x 3
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

So... in your view... someone telling someone else they should kill themselves is a "little thing?" That explains a lot about this discussion, honestly.
  11. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

TBH I largely don't lmao. I don't really talk in game-chat all that much unless I know someone, am spoken directly to in a way that I really should respond to like a question about a style I have on or something like that, or I need help or an answer to a question really badly (though even then I mostly just go to Discord or Google). And unless it's either someone just trying to talk to me, a comment on my look (be it compliment or suggestion or question or whatever else as long as it's not just nastiness), or some sort of useful advice or planning or whatever I largely don't even pay much attention to it, either. Unless it's something MAJOR I often don't even bother putting them on ignore if this is the only time I've ever interacted with them and the run's gonna be done in a heartbeat and only even bother kicking if the bad behaviour they're doing straight up inhibits the group's ability to make any progress and/or the rest of the group starts the vote (for a genuine reason) in the first place. So far never even reported anyone (largely because it's just too much hassle unless something I feel like I absolutely HAVE TO report happens). Currently, the most I've done is express mild annoyance to my friends and/or the DCUO community in some capacity, though even that's just "*sigh* someone's being a bit of a pain in the neck", and in one case recorded it but really just for the sheer absurdity and ".....bruh" of it and so my friends could see what I was referring to when I told them about the bizarre encounter and laughed about it.
  12. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Did I misunderstand something here?
  13. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Ok so i feel like certain ppl aren't fully aware of how Reporting/Bans work so lets get this clarified asap. Also, ignore the "new member" account, old account is impossible to retrieve.

1- When someone reports another, it isnt a "guessing game" or a "flip of a switch" scenario. There's an actual mini-investigation done. For anyone unaware, every single thing you type is recorded. All of it. Most Worldwide DPA allows it to be kept for up to 12 months. If DPA even applies here, which is 50/50 at best. Either way this is referred to as the Chat Log. Members of the Complaints Team will get a Report and, (believe it or not) actually look into it. Theres a reason why you had to fill out multiple details, including your own character name, in the old report forms. In other words they literally pull the full conversation between all parties involved and decide on how to act.

2- Bans are not the first step. Like a lot of businesses DCUO has a 3 strike rule, only to be circumvented by aggregious vitriol. The first 2 of these are Suspensions. And there is a pretty big difference between Suspensions and Bans. If you were ever Banned without first getting Suspended twice, the games better off without you.

3- Can't believe this actually has to be explained but, if you feel you need to report someone and there's no ulterior motive behind it, there are ABSOLUTELY no Negatives. No matter what nonsensical rubbish is posted in here. This is not a "Pro's vs Cons" situation, and it never will be. And anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is likely a perpetrator of toxic behaviour themselves. As long as you are honest with yourself about who instigated the situation being reported, then report it. A good rule of thumb is, as long as you'd be comfortable reading what You typed in chat out loud to all your friends and family, then do what needs to be done. We've seen what can happen to people over the last few years when they're pressured into staying quiet. Don't.
    • Like x 2
  14. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Ah, but you do agree that telling someone you wish they were dead or that they should go .... themselves deserves to be reported then?

What about someone calling someone else stupid or ********? Serious enough or not?

Implying the person's mother/wife/gf has been or should be violated? Serious enough?

I'd just like to know where you draw the line, since you've been pretty vague this whole thread.
  15. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

The more serious the offence, I think the more likely that it's an escalating 2 sided conflict.
  16. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This hasn't usually been my experience at all. Some people simply enjoy trolling others. And other players don't have any kind of emotional control, so when something goes wrong in the game, rather than dealing with the frustration like an adult, they take their (quite-frankly humorous considering it's a game) rage out on other players rather than internalizing it.
    • Like x 1
  17. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

They will, i have seen it happen. Its way too easy to take things out of context or actually be reported for something innocent by an observer be ause they didnt know it was innocent (2 ppl goin at ach other because they know each other an are just joking but random person doesnt know this and reports anyway when they should have minded their own business).
    I have personally known 2 players banned in this way and 1 was a real life friend and i was actually there for the conversation.
    Make no mistake, support can get it wrong sometimes. They arent flawless.
    This is why i advocate the ignore button not the report button. Err on the side of caution and give the benefit of the doubt. And above all, if whatever is being said aint even to you, then mind ur business lol.
  18. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I can agree with that except its not always that black/white.
    Theres alot of grey there and alot of context that could be missing and i formation the accuser may not have.
    Thats why i advocate err’n on the side of caution and using ignore.
    Theres a clear time/place for reporting, make no mistake. But it should be a last ditch effort, a last resort, etc.
    Its the final step in all a available options one can take
  19. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's for DI to investigate and decide. Not ne, not you.
  20. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

What you try to do, while in itself I agree with, doesn't actually do anything. You really think being toxic towards people is going to change how they act? No. This is teenage style naivety. You don't improve how people talk about mepps. Very little could actually stop them from being toxic just as nobody is going to get through to you about the pointless nature of being toxic in trying to bring about any goal you may have.

There is a difference between being toxic and standing up for what is right. There is a line, you can cross, which you have on numerous occasions where any intent of being helpful is completely undone by what you are saying. You can be firm. You can be short. You can do a great many things without becoming toxic. How many people actually stop what they are doing by your being toxic? Or do they just go after you in the same manner? Think about it.

As far as my son.... I give authority its due place. While I will absolutely defend my son and not be mad if he immediately strikes back, I don't do it that way. The reason why is simple. I am teaching my son how authority works and doesn't work. In my experience, if you hit back at everyone who ever hits you... you better be 1. Significantly stronger than the other guy and 2. Be ready for significant escalation. My son is being taught to deescalate the situation. Why? Because by and large he will be safer deescalated than if he escalates the situation in many circumstances and sometimes you don't know what you are up against. It also safeguards him against mistakes in reading situations. Like if someone hit him, but it was actually because of another circumstance and he didn't see the circumstance. I don't want him in fights nonstop. I've seen the kids who try to do that that aren't the biggest guy in the room. If he wants to go back into karate... I'd be more comfortable with it but still.
    • Like x 1