FFXIV & DCUO PVE Content Mechanics Guide & Comparison

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TheLQ-DCUO, Sep 10, 2021.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Hello all!

Recently I started playing Final Fantasy XIV and there are plenty of similarities in mechanics in group content between DC Universe Online and Final Fantasy XIV. From utilising line of sight to simply which way your character is facing at a given time, there are many examples in both games that have been used in alert and raid content.

This series of episodes will highlight these further, and hopefully will be helpful and useful to players of both games, in learning how to go about certain mechanics. Though the series will more lean towards FFXIV, there will be plenty of examples and footage that will apply to DC Universe Online content as well.

Hope you guys enjoy these videos, I will update this thread in the coming weeks.

Episode 1: Stack Markers (eg. Mark of Cain in Shattered Gotham (Elite)'s Mordru fight)

A stack marker is when a player has an icon above their head, indicating that they are to receive a particular attack. Group members must then gather around that player close to split the incoming damage, otherwise it will do huge damage and might KO player/s if there aren't enough to split the damage.

- this is the specific clip from DCUO that I use in the above video.

Episode 2: Which way your character is facing (eg. Medusa/gorgons in various Wonder Woman themed content)

Which way your character is facing can have a large impact to the effects of certain mechanics. In DCUO, this is shown most through Medusa and gorgons in various Wonder Woman themed content, including in Amazon Fury Part III, and False Idols (Elite) raid.

- this is the specific clip from DCUO that I use in the above video.

Episode 3: Line of sight mechanics (eg. The Visitor duo first boss, Forgemaster Hawkman in Into the Dark Multiverse (Elite) raid)

Line of sight can be a very important aspect of gaming in general. Your surrounding environment can protect you from incoming AOE damage, but also block healing from reaching certain players if something is obstructing that line of sight, such as a tree or rock. This can be very important in certain content.

- The DCUO specific part of the video. Commentary explanation and case study on the Visitor Duo first boss, and case study on DMe second boss.

More to come! :)
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Episode 4: Special consumables or abilities unique to a particular boss fight (eg. Zeus boss fight in Olympus raid)

Sometimes in PVE content, you will need a special weapon or consumable in order to work around certain mechanics, killing special adds or evading/mitigating a powerful attack from an enemy.

- this is the DCUO specific clip that I use in the above video.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Two of my favorite MMOs.
  4. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Episode 5: Absorb mechanics

Two types of absorb mechanics to look out for:

1. Absorbing a smaller source of damage, either for yourself or for group member/s, in order to prevent or mitigate a large source of incoming damage or KO attack.

(example: Lady Blackhawk fight in The Phoenix Cannon (Elite) raid)

2. Absorbing an orb or something that would otherwise buff the boss's attacks/abilities towards the group. This will also buff your defence against other group wide AOE attacks that could potentially KO you or even the whole group without that defence buff.

- this is the DCUO specific clip that I use in the above video.
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Episode 6: Trailing (AOE) mechanics

This mechanic tends to involve the boss targeting a player or players with a marker, and then shortly after consecutive AOEs follow that player. If the player is hit too much by these or it hits nearby players it can do large damage.

Example: Queen Diana's curse ability skull attack in The Royal War (Elite) alert. This is also relevant to some of the feats for this boss fight.

- this is the DCUO specific example that I use in the video above.
  6. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Off topic discussion of another game-- Seems like this should be in Joker's Fun House?
    • Like x 2
  7. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Hello all! Based on feedback I have updated some of the previous posts with additional information about the mechanics, and linked the specific parts of the videos concerning DCUO as well.

The intention here is for this to be a guide for DCUO players as well, though it is interesting to compare with FFXIV content also. It also helps to better explain the mechanics as many of these examples are only used once or twice in the whole of DCUO PVE content.
  8. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Episode 7: 360 Degree Clockwise/Anti-Clockwise Attack Mechanics

This mechanic usually involves the boss doing a laser or several attacks in succession, usually around the map clockwise or anti-clockwise. Players should move around the boss or they risk taking heavy damage or being knocked out. In some cases there may be windows where you can stay in a specific spot and do damage provided that you are out of the area of effect at the time. But you would need to be comfortable with the precise positioning required to pull this off.

DCUO Examples:
    - Lady Blackhawk fight in The Phoenix Cannon raid
    - Eye of Ekron fight in Convergence of Unmaking raid

9. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Thank you for compiling this!
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Episode 8: Active Time Maneuver Mechanics (Spam Action Button to break free)

This mechanic is likely the most self-explanatory one in this guide/comparison series, you need to spam the action button (square for PS players) to break free or progress past the phase. This is usually in response to a big attack. Failing to do so in time may result in a KO for you or potentially the entire group as well.

DCUO Examples:
    - The Merciless fight in False Idols (Elite) raid
    - Professor Zoom fight in The Royal War alert