An Unstable Guide to Atomic

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Snix, Dec 6, 2015.

1. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I'll give my Input on atomic tanking since it's my main when I'm out of work. I had YouTube videos of my tanking but I deleted my channel for personal reasons.
  2. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I recently adjusted my tanking lately not much but wanted to change it up

I wanted to incorporate mass density

I’ve looked at other builds it’s all
    About the same I think most don’t use the break out I still have it on my load out tho

I use the break out density proton remedy atom splitter and mass density

Been thinking about dropping density for hardlighy shield tho

Although I like having the break out because it’s a second option to get into my aura if I mess up the first time I feel like I could drop it for headlight shield
  3. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Is this for pure tanking and elite runs?
  4. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Yeah pure tank I have zero issues tho I never die unless of course I’m the last person alive
  5. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I know I discussed this before

But man atomic really needs so much done to it in term of dps

I hate using neo venom boost but it is truly the best option

I hate that we have no aoe dot that can be applied on range

I hate that we have a ton of pi spreaders but very few powers thst actually get boosted damage from enemies that are dazed

Things I would change

Energize: still heals and instantly puts you into your aura still costs 5000 super charge but also increases your damage similarly to how electrics circuit breaker works

Atom powered assault: instantly puts you into your aura no combos needed

Neutrino blast: instantly puts you into your aura

Or

Density: instantly puts you into your aura(since it’s a weak shield it could
    Atleast be the first thing we hit before goin into combos

Geiger blast: aoe range attack that does the damage it does now when you’re in melee range but adjusts as you get further out. Damage increased while you’re in your aura.

Ionizing eruption: becomes an aoe damage over time ability that does increased damage while you’re in your aura

Thermochemical explosion: increase the damage in melee distance increase range

Do away with dazed pi now thst the aura can be activated immediately there is no need for a dazed pi… all damage abilities that previously spread pi now just increase damage while you’re in your aura

This would atleast open up more options for might/prec/hybrid dps game play
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The biggest issue with atomic is how it’s mechanics work. Be default you have to reserve 1 slot in for an aura shortcut. And the aura can also drop quickly. So what does this mean? To start a fight you waste 1-2 seconds with lower damage setting up your aura which uses 1 extra slot. Between adds that are spread out you risk the chance of aura dropping meaning you’ll start yet another fight with lower damage.

So what I think should be address first is the aura itself. I believe it has a duration of 13-14 seconds after the last “buff”? Instead it should be changed to 24 seconds. I know it seems ridiculous that it be 24 seconds. But it’s the only power whose PI is something that has to be activated with the use of 2 powers. 1 being a combo power and the second being an activator. Secondly, the activator should be changed too. Maybe make one of the other powers an activator too. This way atomic dps don’t have to use an unneeded slot for an activator. If combo powers can’t be used than other useful abilities should be used.

As it stands the activators that are available are:
    Remedy: a heal over time
    Neutrino blast: which is a breakout
    Atom powered assault: which is the weapon buff
    Electron flare: melee range dot

2 of these aren’t beneficial from a dps standpoint. These being proton remedy and neutrino blast. The next is a Prec buff which is only helpful for a might with the head mod. And Prec won’t “normally” use the combos anyways. And the last is a melee dot which is also weak. Electron flare should be changed to a range 3 second dot. This way it could be used within a standard rotation and can be applied and used from range. The damage it does already acts like a range dot anyways, it’s even weaker. Or it should be changed to a dot field similar to mental’s close range dot field. Density should also activate the aura. It’s the weakest tank shield so give it a reason to be the weakest or increase it’s damage cap.

Beta surge is a combo that needs to be changed. It does the damage damage as nuclear burst which is a lower cost power. It also has less range and cost more power. It’s a useless abilities. Atomic is missing. Full strength single target combo. Change beta surge to be a ST combo that does more damage than neutron bomb. This way atomic has a ST ability.

And it’s dazed side of the power set needs an overhaul in general. It doesn’t have a max range 300 cost power. It’s dot capability is lower than other powers.

Overall atomic is usable on live. But it relies on iconics more than a lot of other powers
    • Like x 3
  7. Han Lower Level 30

Been a while since anyone posted. What artifacts and allies are you liking with atomic?
  8. L T Devoted Player

I'm running HoL Bot, Batman who Laughs, and Cyborg for allies. Thinking about leveling Nubia and/or aquaman.

For DPS artifacts I've been running Trans/Solar/Quizlet and swapping in Soul Cloak before using my supercharges (NVB+AB). Thinking about ditching that strategy in favor of Lernea's now that I have that artifact at 180.
  9. Psyfur Well-Known Player

For now, I’m using 161 Mystic Symbol, 160 Strat, and 90 Lasso as my tank arts. The motivation behind this set is passive heals. For allies, I have Cal Bot, FP Batman and Cyborg.
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

For tanking, I use Manacles, Everyman and Mystic Seven. If a particular instance or boss fight has little to no adds, I'll sub in the Refractor for the Mystic 7. I'll also do that if the instance or boss fight is easy enough that it doesn't matter and the troll is buffing with either the cog or tetra.

For DPS I use Solar Amp, EoG and Tetra. I use Tetra because it's good for battle tanking (where battle tanking is appropriate) and because Atomic isn't gonna top any boards anyway so I might as well help the group, lol. I also use EoG because it's a good battle tanking artifact. I imagine the Strat and trans with solor amp is much better for ST since there is at least a ST DoT. No idea about the best AOE setups.

One thing I've been meaning to test is how DPS EoG circles work when a second SC is cast inside the circle from the first SC since Atomic Blast has a minuscule cooldown.

As for allies, I don't really see any that are more or less advantageous due to being atomic. Personally, I don't think any of the legendary allies are worth the investment (time or money) on the tanking side. Cyborg is good since Atomic is probably the most power hungry tanking power and Calc Bot is solid considering the small investment it takes to max him out.
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

For tanking I use Symbols, Manacles, and EoG
    for battle tanking i use Symboles, quislet, trans
    for DPS I use trans, quislet, EoG

I was running source shard with quislet and trans but replaced source for EoG. I was using source because I wanted to use 1 loadout for aoe and ST since I rarely ever switch armories even thou I have an extra armory i can use lol. But instead of godwave i just added my finisher in place of godwave.
  12. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

So I take it not much has been changed with atomic in terms of dps (or tank for that matter)

In terms of super charges … I saw word of power got and update

So the question is … neo venom still or word of power ?
  13. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Ideally neither. Atomic Blast is a 0.5 second cooldown 5000 SC. If you have the SC regen in groups you would want to use that over WoP. If you won't have any sort of SC regen at all then you can prioritize Neo Venom, unless you see others using WoP then you could use that to have it stack of the group.
  14. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Yeah I went back to neo venom since I don’t really run with one group.l to make atomic blast effective enough… and it seems neo venom is the clear winner.

Now I’m leveling quinslet yo see if it will work adjusting my current arts set up of solar, strat, and trans…. Thinking about switching solar for it or maybe strat not sure

Atomic dps needs some love when it comes to dots still.
  15. Derio 15000 Post Club

Is Atomic still the lowest might dps compared to other powersets? And is it still the 3rd best tank behind Rage and Fire?
  16. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I’ve done the elite alert once under geared and didn’t have any issue… haven’t done any of the elite raids or elite plus so I can’t tell you that

But the alert wasn’t hard at all I don’t even know if I had a healer I can’t remember.

And none of my arts are 160 I think the highest my tank arts are 140. My Allie’s are also low.

Dunno how atomic compares to fire or rage now but thets my experience
    • Like x 1
  17. Retire Well-Known Player

I recently switched to Atomic a month ago. I realized a few things.
    1. Aura is almost useless now :( On bosses with no ads you only need to rotate shields. Atomic is basically just a weak version of ice with the best juggle in game. Only time I use my aura is when I'm tanking ads. Even then you dont need the full TE combo--just hitting the first move is enough to juggle. Yes this applies in Elite Content also. I might as well be ice LOL
    1a. Lasso art is great with Atomic. I never use Atom Splitter, so lasso is amazing. I'm able to pull everything to me and then spam TE. If an ad gets away, I just use Atomic Reorganization to bring it back
    2. Atomic DPS needs some love. I use Neutron Bomb (full combo. clip out of last part into HV) > HV (full animation) > Geiger Beam > repeat. I also use RSK, Atomic Blast and Neutrino Blast (to quickly activate aura)have not found a better rotation. I use Trans, Strat, Amulet and swap in Gem at the end of HV.
    3. Mass Density AND Atomic Blast should both activate aura. Neither does at the moment.
    As a whole, Atomic needs a buff. Bring it back to the glory days of tanking at the very least
  18. Retire Well-Known Player

I would say Atomic is the weakest tank TBH.
    1. Rage
    2. Ice
    3. Fire // Earth
    4. Atomic

And Compared to other powers I'd say Atomic DPS is the worst also
  19. Retire Well-Known Player

All that being said tho, Atomic is a strong tank
  20. Drathmor Unwavering Player

these last 2 pages are just depressing to read :(

Atomic was my favorite power when it was released and what I ran with all the way up to advanced mechanics when they slowed down the combos and the power over all to make it fit into that 1234 mechanic. the power just never recovered from that change

its still a playable power but feel lacking in all fronts
    I agree with Deity that they should really stream line the aura as most other tanks dont have to have a build up to jump into a group of adds. make it easier to get and last longer so that your not dropping it as often

and as others have said as far as DPS its lacking in all kind of fronts.. ST is lacking, Range is lacking viable moves. at melee its ok but not great while the powers hit ok their slow and the few dots it has are weak. and good grief with the power consumption

I truly miss atomic so much its probably my favorite alt I play just because I enjoy the power
    but running my alt it always takes longer to run him through the content than many of the other powers

I express doubt the devs will do anything to it or tune any of the powers really and there is no monetary value in it for them but it sure would be nice it they gave it and a few other powers a once over