Just because you disagree, doesn't make the other evil.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Steamboat2302, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

kinda makes me wanna know what he considers the grandparents, if we are caveman and dinosaur (and we could be around the same age for all we know) what would that make our parents?.. o_O
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Amebas? :D
    • Like x 1
  3. OnlyNomad The One Above All

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

How are you arguing with me on something we agree on? We won't know for sure....maybe ever, but for a few months minimum. And just because something is anecdotal doesn't mean it's not 'facts' unless you are lying about your anecdotal info. FACT: I dropped my PC sub (or rather it will drop as of the 14th) FACT: I ran with an old leaguemate last night I haven't seen in 2 years. FACT: He said he actually liked the clamp as he had not run any of the M1/M2 stuff and wanted to try it. FACT: We ran MoM...it was a PITA but we finished...he had fun...I did not as I've run MoM at difficulty many times and could have spent that 45 min elsewhere.

Just because those are anecdotal does not mean they are not facts....Just that they might not be indicative of an overall feeling towards the change or impact to MOST of the playerbase. Again, only time will tell that no matter how much hate or love everyone has for it. And we'll only know that for sure if DBG shares the numbers (they will not) or reverses the changes (also unlikely). Heck even the Clamp lovers might come to hate it after 10-20 botched runs. Again, it's just week 1...feelings are going to change by the end of a month...or 2...good or bad.
  5. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I'm not arguing just stating my opinion on the matter.

Anectodal
    adjective

1. (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
      "while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"

This might help :D
  6. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

Well. If you look at the details screen in the past 5 years at the population per month. Its gone from 250k to 335+k in a year. Thats what, 30% growth year over year. If those numbers are able to be trusted, the population is actually trending upwards in the game in a real way. Which makes me wonder about a lot of stuff. Like, what counts as population. Are they counting players who never make it off the ship? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Which brings up new player retention even more so. Is it possible the devs are seeing significantly higher growth potential if they are able to gain retention based on the metrics shown on that site I think its very possible.

If so...this move may pay off more quickly than I thought if I'm right about why they are leaving. If the answer to why they don't stay is graphics etc.... then nothing they do will help much.
  7. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

Fine but literally doubling the monthly population is far more than0.8%. DCUO is estimated to have almost 10k active players for September. Was only 3k in July. I'm reading the same data you are. Historical population chart shows active players peaking up toward 7 k for September. The month is young and I'm assuming the charts are projecting growth.

DC Universe Online is estimated to have 9,758 players per day this month.
  8. OnlyNomad The One Above All

The real question is how many of those players stay on past the ship or past level 30.

Edit: Also if you look at the chart, the population always spikes up around the release of an episode and then steadily declines in the following weeks/months.
  9. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

September so far has 342K
    August was 339k
    July was 337k.

In active players there is less than 100 person difference in these statistics...what are you looking at?
  10. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Good point but like you said, who knows if those players stay past the ship tutorial or past level 30. Like i mentioned in my other comment too, we see a spike in players when an episode is released and then a steep gradual decline from the moment that episode goes live. Is this an indication that the content isn't up to par to expectations? Who knows but I'm curious as to why player population drops considerably right after an episode comes out.
    • Like x 1
  11. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Yeah I was going to say.. No idea what he's looking at but the stats I'm looking at show a relatively small but gradual increase in player base in the last few months. It's miniscule but it's there.
    • Like x 1
  12. Stark23 Committed Player

If you’re random q’ing Omni raids and any instance requiring a very specific mechanic pops you might as well back out.
    • Like x 2
  13. OnlyNomad The One Above All

It's the harsh reality that most of the community doesn't want to sit there and explain mechanics to new players. I enjoyed Omnibus a few time but most of my experiences where something went wrong (for the first time) resulted in people leaving in drove immediately.
    • Like x 2
  14. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

And unfortunately, if I am right about player retention...this may fail even if it works. Because even if you are running these instances, without helping the new users learn the mechanics, pointing them to leagues, etc. It changes from not being able to enjoy the game because they aren't playing to them never being able to beat anything.

Which is why I ask, why is it this community is less likely to do these things than other MMO's? I'd play FFXIV but they just don't have anything pulling me into the game. Maybe one day they put a FF7 World in or FF8 world in and I'll start playing it but right now...its just a lot for things I'm just not aware of the IP for.
  15. Plowed In Loyal Player

But that’s nothing new. Otherwise we’d probably have a lot more volunteer firefighters.
  16. OnlyNomad The One Above All

You're right and I wish I knew. From my personal experience and perspective, DCUO has been the MMO with the least helpful community I've encountered. I think it's because of the nature of the content (it's really casual and easy), people never really needed to help each other that much in recent years.

Also a lot of Leagues have ridiculous requirements or standards that can put off new players.
    • Like x 1
  17. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I think it's worse now, people know and have done the content when it was quick and unclamped. Generally speaking, most people don't want to waste extra time explaining **** when they can just pre-make groups and blast through it without issues.

Edit: I think what we'll see is new players getting sidelined and having to form their own groups with each other and learn everything from scratch.
  18. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

We'd need a LOT of new players for that to work. Which is why they are incentivizing the omnibus.
  19. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Well hopefully those Omnibus changes bring that because right now it just doesn't feel worthwhile to me. Let's hope.
    • Like x 1
  20. Noxious Flora Well-Known Player

Why? Because "they'll play how they want", "we don't pay their sub",or my personal favorite "go f urself nerd". In my experience, those were type of responses you'd get most often if they even bothered to respond at all. Or they'd just leave. Better off just not rolling that die.