Nature DPS Has Been Nerfed Into Futile

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Realist617, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Realist617 Active Player

Im not a DPS main and I dont chase scoreboards at all. However that doesnt mean I dont know when a power is lacking in damage potential. I have only been playing since the release of BoP and I never used nature until after the last big nerf. Its by far my favorite healing power and maybe even may favorite power overall. I have tested everything in its kit in every combo i can think of and though the support side is outstanding the DPS side is severely lacking. With gorilla and wolf form only giving their buff for 15 seconds on a 5K SC and having no other viable SC, the DoTs severely lacking in total damage, the powers that apply the DoTs initially hitting like a sack of feathers, and the entire kit revolving around one loadout its clear it needs some attention. Iv been told that nature was considered broken and overpowered befor the nerf but why bring its so low that its almost twice as bad as the worst DPS power overall. I mean, in current content it cannot even compete with middle of the road powers let alone keep up with them. I think it would be good if slight QoL changes were brought to nature that didnt render it as broken OP as befor. When I choose a power I want to think I can be viable to my team in both support role or DPS and with nature I just cant. Maybe boost the DoTs a small percent, boost roars initial hit, boost the buff times of the gorilla and wolf form to 30 seconds, or even boost rampage(which i always thought was a good concept SC) to the effect lasting longer and the crit boost percent buffed up a bit with a reasonable cooldown. Its a great concept its just far too weak as it is to even be considered viable. Im not just writing this as a bias because its my favorite power but because nature DPS is quite literally so useless that even doing my dailies on my healer is dreadful. Please give some attention to a power that you rendered useless in the damage department.
    • Like x 4
  2. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I know nothing about nature but I do know that a few have started not using form changes and having good results. Maybe that's some helpful info? A lot of players hated form changes because it ruined their immersion so the changes may have been due to that. I'd like to post a name but I'm not sure he would be ok with it. The guy does incredible with it. I've been near untouchable in FFE and he stayed right with me and was even ahead at 1 point. No form changes.

Another league mate has gone prec and source shard/ grim quislet with his and is doing fantastic too tho I don't get the impression you're after prec help whatsoever. Either way, great post and if I didn't help you any, sorry I tried!
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That "nerf" was an exploit fix that required more than one Nature character. A single Nature DPS on their own was never "OP".

Nature is a slow but deadly Boss killer that lacks in single target and mob damage. If you want to be competent in those other areas you have to switch your loadout up with movement/iconic abilities.
    • Like x 2
  4. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I cant with your signature lol
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The last big nerf nature got was because it’s ability to abuse Gemini. In my option the form changes should have their sc taken away and returned to regular abilities like they used to be. Natures strength comes from being able to jump into and out of the forms. People may not like these forms but they are needed to do damage. Right now on my nature toon I can still out dps players even thou my arts on her are only 120. But she does good damage because I understand nature. I’m using a form so that I can have a second loadout.

Right now you can’t get its full potential like you used to because it’s forms were changed to 5000 cost SCs with a 30 second cooldown. They used to be 12 second cooldown I believe with no sc cost. Later they were changed to 2500 cost sc, and later the cooldown was changed to 15. Then the cooldown was changed to 30 and finally it’s cost changed to 5000.

That itself is a high change, especially the last part. Nature has 3 dots (poisons) that can be refreshed with a push of one ability (2 different abilities. Harvest and thorn burst). To compensate for nature being able to maintain 3 dots with the push of a single ability nature has downsides. It’s finished is weaker than all other finishers. Not only because it has 3 poisons but also because it’s finisher turns to aoe in gorilla form. It also doesn’t have a 300 cost aoe burst ability or a 300 cost st ability (3 second cooldown) like other powers have. And it’s class pet (swarm) is also the weakest class pet (even compared to snow devil). And the 3 poisons themselves also take up 3 ability slots. Take into account the 1 button refresher and you have 4 loadout slots being taken up. Let’s say your last slot is a passive pet and a sc. That means you have no powers to use for a rotation. Let’s say you use those last 2 slots for a rotation instead. You have no sc or passive pet damage. You also only have a 2 ability rotation.

So why don’t they give nature those things? Not everyone wants to use poisons for cosplay right? It’s because it would make nature the single strongest power without any competition from other powers. Those who do min max nature will just be completely broken. Nature doesn’t have all those things because adding everything with 3 dots constantly ticking and constantly spreading will make it hard to ever balance.

Right now nature’s strengths lean towards boss fights. Prolonged fights that are worth setting up poisons and even having a different form for the added loadout slots. While hallway adds are where you have to try to keep up without those added loadout slots since your form change is a sc that cost 5000.

So what does that leave you with for a loadout?
    Well since your form change cost so much to go into it’s left as a stat stick. Basically this means that the form change will only have the 3 poisons, the refresher ability, a passive pet (robot sidekick), and return to normal. You could have these things in your human slot and have your actual loadout in your form change. But if you die and don’t have enough sc to return to your form than you will be stuck fighting with spamming poisons or weapon attacks. But if want to fight in your form change than it’s an option. As for your human loadout (or form if you do the opposite way) you will have your actual loadout. Your last 2 abilities will be your pet and form change. Which means that your first 4 abilities are true loadout slots. This begs the question. Should one of those loadout slots be an actual sc? That’s up to you.

But that’s pretty much why nature isn’t seen as much as they used to. It’s still a strong power when used correctly. But it requires more work and even armories compared to other powers.
    • Like x 11
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I've been saying this since 2017. +1
    • Like x 7
  7. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Yeah they did nature dirty, it needed a balance not a narrow nerf, this is why a lot of people don’t want the devs to nerf things. Flurry shot was probably the most balanced nerf we’ve had
    • Like x 3
  8. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I third this motion. WHo's idea was it to make them super charges? The whole point a lot of us used the powers was to transform. I'm not against a super charge transformation But I think it should be a new animal. The original 4 should be regular hot bar powers that provide a bonus. If they they don't want it to be permanent, I'd advocate for a temporary transformations that are a part of the rotation.

For example: You hit Werewolf form and you stay transformed for 10 seconds getting some buff and then transform back.

I'd even be down for each form having it's own hot bar with unique attacks allowing you to use an animal only loadout where you cycle between Dog -> Bug-> Wolf ->Gorilla where each has a like 2 or 3 unique powers. 1 range, 1 melee , and one Buff. The fantasy would be changing forms to meet the situation getting progressively more powerful. When you get to Gorilla form you get big Damage. Trade off is if you mess up you Have to start from Dog form for the most Damage. Imagine a Supercharge being a T-Rex that Breaths fire for w/e reason(Gimlock nod). Now that PS3 isn't causing memory issues, transformation cycling isn't a large task.
    • Like x 1
  9. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

OP, nature was nerfed because those that wanted it nerfed knew that the devs would butcher the power.
    Every nerf call has been disingenuous.
    If there was balance, things would be brought up in line to match other powersets.
    There will never be balance and if crybabies continue to want things nerfed, there will be more threads such as these during the aftermath of another dead powerset.
    History will continue to repeat itself...
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

No… it was nerfed because it was bugged. Got a little secret to tell you. People aren’t out to get you.
    • Like x 1
  11. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

Devs always break powersets after they "fix" them.
  12. Realist617 Active Player

I just feel like 2 small changes that could be made that wouldn't be game breaking would be a small buff(5% or so) to both the DoT ticks as well as Voracious Plants. If the DoTs ticked a little higher and voracious plants hit a little harder it would do justice to the powers DPS capabilities without causing everyone to go nature overnight. I don't think adding time to the DoTs would be right because all that would do is increase the time between refreshing them and wouldn't really help much. Also if the initial hit of Roar were to be buffed slightly it would add another variant for a capable loadout.
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The only change I would do is make big and wolf none supercharges like before. You can’t increase the poisons without causing a major rework. Increasing each poison by 5% means an overall 15% increase to poisons. That’s a lot of background damage going on. On top of that you want to increase voracious plant and roar? Roar in general is just not a good ability. It’s situational at best. As a nature dps you never want to strip your poisons. It’s takes a couple seconds to reset all your dots all just so that you can hit roar and have to reapply your dots again. This is a waste of time and a loss in damage. People were using roar before because they were able to use other nature dps poisons which was a bug and needed to be fixed. Wolf was also applying double buff even in healer role so nature would just go healer role and regain its sc to gain the buffs which was another bug.

Instead of asking for a buff why not share your loadout and see if others can help you
    • Like x 2
  14. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

It be easier to just use that rubber part at one end of a pencil. I use to heal with it before stats revamp and it was awesome!!! I would be in bug form, use hive mind, cc ads in pods, have my own power back, hots everywhere, healing npc’s left and right…NERF…enter stats revamp. Shape shift is now a supercharge, no more power back, no cc as they took away harvest, hots became weak. Now entering stats clamp. I’m sorry, what’s nature? Haven’t seen anything in game resembling nature for the past few years.

I went electric and it is a cool power for healers, lacking in healing abilities, but still awesome to use. Dps side has been dead since advanced mechanics so that was longer time ago-oh.

I just see electric, water, and a few sorcery healers now. Maybe 1 celestial infrequently. I’m sure that speaks volume.
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Nature was better urging AMs? I’m sorry but no. Nature and electric were dead powers during that time. They were both stuck to being support powers because they were the worst powers during AMs. And the power back wasn’t something exclusive to nature. It was part of AMs. All powers were granted AMs which people used as crutches to feel strong. AMs nearly killed the game so the devs had to remove them. After AMs were removed and Gemini was added nature was a dominant power and you’d see them everywhere dont bugs (not the supercharge).

AMs getting removed just exposed bad players who relied on op AMs to be good. Just like bad players used out gearing content to be good. After AMs were removed you would see a lot of threads about players saying x power should keep it’s AM or how the game will die because AMs are gone. Same thing is happening now with stats clamp
    • Like x 1
  16. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Nature just needs quicker animations and it will be in a much better spot, you could make roar mimic gear gas and allow it to be jump cancelled, and even that would be an immediate buff
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s more complicated than that unfortunately. Roar strips poisons meaning that you will end up wasting time setting them up. Poisons also take up 3 loadout slots which leaves only 3 left. If you have roar than you only have 2. Do you use those slots for pet passive damage and a sc? Or do you use those slots for damaging abilities to fill a rotation? You can add a transformation sc, but even that is not enough. One slot is for return to normal, and one is for poison refresher. Without the refresher you will have to go back to regular form to set it up. But transforming cost 5000 sc so it’s also not something you can do all the time, meaning roar goes against what nature wants to do.

The best fix for nature is to remove the supercharge requirement from nature. Don’t make any other changes at all and monitor how nature players do with that one change. If the change wasn’t enough than you go in for a second change. An easy fix would be to either increase the damage of poisons refreshers or lower their damage and allow them to clip.

You can’t do to much to nature or it will be overpowered for bosses
    • Like x 1
  18. Viande New Player

Autre chose que je trouve triste, ayant repris le jeu après pas mal d'année, c'est d'avoir retirer la possibilité de changer le loadout de la forme de chien. IL ce trouve que parmi les compétence du chien, celle qui créer un soin et l'invisibilité ou bien même le coups simple pourrait être remplacer par d'autre compétence du nature et étant un sc a 2500, le gameplay autour de cette forme pourrait être amusant.
    Le fait d'avoir des compétences en nature devenant plus puissant ou consommant les poison nous oblige a les utilisés, et je rejoint les autre pour dire que le nature n'étant pas très puissant en attaque rapide sur les petit monstre, ont ce retrouve obsolète a ces moment la.
    Par contre la ou le nature sort un peu du lot, c'est lorsque l'ont ce retrouve face a de multiple boss. Comme dans pas mal de mmo, les classe a dots devienne généralement très puissante quand il s'agit de multi cible sur le long therme.

The other thing that I find sad, having returned to the game after many years, is to have removed the ability to change the loadout of the dog form. It seems that among the dog skills, the one that creates a heal and invisibility or even the simple hit could be replaced by other nature skills and being a 2500 sc, the gameplay around this form could be fun.

The fact of having nature skills becoming more powerful or consuming poison forces us to use them, and I join the others in saying that nature not being very powerful in fast attack on small monsters, have this found obsolete at this time.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use the nature or not, but it's a good idea to use it when you're facing multiple bosses. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use the same method as the one used in other games, but I'm sure it's a good idea to use the same method as the one used in the other games.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)