The "GET GUD AT THE GAME" Crowd:

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by The Con, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Have you ever heard the phrase 'A win is a win'? I'd guess if they are offended by my tactics, next time I run the content, they won't show up....yet, every time I go in DWF, Darkseid is there. No matter how many times I've locked Trigon up, or defeated his hologram, he still tries again.

And If I was going to fight Mike Tyson I would definitely bring a gun, and might still lose....He could probably still kill me all these years after his prime....and that dude bites!

Don't make me bring out the 'Oh you were serious....' gif again.

Hey, in a 1 on 1 against another person...DPS comp dueling, PVP....I'm all for an even playing field...let the best person win. But against a CPU bad guy who has his own cheap shots? Nah...sorry. That dude is going down.
    • Like x 1
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Lmao...fair enough, Mike probably would still win lol, think of Trigon as Mike Tyson on steroids.
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I've been debating making a post with all the times superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Hal Jordan and many, many others who are supposedly the "superest" of super heroes have have had their a**es handed to them by super villains. We literally have a DLC (or permanent event or whatever) titled DEATH of SUPERMAN, aptly named after the comics storyline. Wonderwoman is the strongest Amazon and has had 900 years to hone her battle skills and has trouble beating a cheetah chick. Deathstroke regularly beats up the entire Titans squad even when they try their hardest all the while he's just toying with them until he gets bored or has actual business to attend to. And that's not even touching potentially-apocalyptic causing powered beings like Parralax or Trigon, or the ACTUAL GOD of War Ares and the GOD that puts him in his place, Zeus. And then there's Darkseid. I'm pretty sure I recently saw that it took the entire Justice League 4+ hours just to beat Darkseid's incompetent screwup lapdog Steppenwolf and that was only because he happened to catch a Kryptonian on a particularly bad day where he was processing through some emotional baggage stemming from a recent bout of zombification.

But these players don't feel "SUPER" unless they're smacking those super-villains down in mere seconds in between sending tells, yucking it up in league chat and cycling through their Spotify playlist???? please....

I'm glad the MCU has a different idea of what "super" is.

(cutscene): Heimdall gets killed by Thanos
    Thor: "You are going to die for that!!!" (end cutscene)
    Lokie and Thor: pop flying hammer and scepter turret pets, pop bifrost orbitals, pop Odin peptalk buff trinket
    Thor: circuit breaker, arc lightning, Tesla ball, repeat 3-4 times.
    Loki: Pop holographic decoy, spam one handed prec combos 3-5 times
    (cutscene) Thor: "I told you you'd die for that" (end cutscene)

Roll credits

Booooooooo
    • Like x 2
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Whenever I've used the term "git gud" to describe something or someone it's usually in a bit of jest but is usually also used to describe a person who is clearly acting incompetent and probably should know better or is refusing to use their initiative, it's not a term used to insult new players.

If someone is maximum CR for example and run things like end game recent elite content or even for that matter regular content and they're failing to comply with the basic mechanics of "old clamped content" and then complaining about it like the problem isn't them but rather the content, then hell yeah I'm gonna say "git gud", because they're playing like an idiot.

It's not really intended to be rude and if it hit a nerve with the person it's probably because they've deep down realized, the truth, they were playing like an idiot lol :D

As for the whole "Relying on strength, to eventually overcome mechanics" you don't have to have the strength to overcome the mechanic you just have the co-ordination to overcome the mechanic.

Having some strength to allow you to more easily do so still exists, for example you're stronger in Wonderverse content today than you were when it was first released, so the strength is still there.

You should never however be so strong that you can "IGNORE" the mechanic, it seems a few people are hell bent on preserving that ability because they're lazy can't be bothered and dare I say it need to "git gud" ;)
    • Like x 1
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Wait, so now you're upset that the players who put in effort have an advantage over you because of it..... oh dear.... Entitlement much...
    • Like x 3
  6. shoegazer Well-Known Player

Though you'll be weaker in Wonderverse than you are now when it drops out of relevancy

Then you'll basically be stuck at that level in Wonderverse forever..

Stuck in old content at a weaker level than you were when it was relevant
    • Like x 2
  7. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Well Deathstroke should be a threat to the titans because he is way more iconic them the Titans, he has went toe to toe with batman a few times, I actually love Slade lol, as for Trigon he is strong just not Ares level or true Darkseid but he has limits, and still is a god compare to us so this i should be able to 1 shot Trigon or Darkseid is very laughable lol, you mean to tell me gear should beat inmates godhood? Never should happen.
    • Like x 1
  8. Noxious Flora Well-Known Player

Retort: Wear this outfit. Feat earned.
    • Like x 4
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I was just using health stat as an example. You can apply it to any stats. At end game, a 5% boost is great because giant numbers. At clamped low cr content, while it helps, a 5% boost to a number like 400 is pretty worthless.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Even better....open Time Capsules...feat earned.
    • Like x 5
  11. Plowed In Loyal Player

Well when your screen starts to go red, but you survive, I’d start thanking that 5%. :)
  12. Proxystar #Perception

is that you Rip Hunter? Do you have a time machine and know what clamped Wonderverse already feels like, do share? :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  13. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

New players can know any role they want, but until they reach a certain level in stats, augs, and arts, this game almost pushes them to strictly dps.
    • Like x 1
  14. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I think the person's point was that those who have vested more time and effort into the game, gain a considerable advantage from this stat clamp and will often create echo chambers where they only play with people like themselves and ignore or belittle those of "inferior" skill. That type of toxic behavior has always been around but I think that the stat clamp might amplify those scenarios.

From what I'm reading and seeing, it seems those who have the most difficulty with the content at the moment, are those pugging it. Pre-made groups I've been apart of rarely fail, this seems to be in direct relation with the idea that good players will alienate bad or new players in order to save time and increase productivity. Now this could cause two things, new players or bad players leaving because they'd rather play something else than learn on their own or them learning like we did back then and increasing player retention.

I hope it's the latter.
    • Like x 2
  15. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

There are some glaring issues right now, but I dont think the water is as cold or deep as we initially thought it would be. We aren't even 2 weeks in, so I'll see where this goes
  16. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Alot of these people saying "get good" and learn the mechanics of a 10 year old raid have full reg gear from Flashpoint. Its their way to feel better than some player who has been playing for 2 years but has full elite Flashpoint. Most of the forum posters are casuals and the game has passed them by. Crapping on new but better players about a raid from 2012 is their way of feeling better about themselves.
    • Like x 3
  17. Proxystar #Perception

Fair enough, although despite that player toxicity, the system itself still needs to be in place to appropriately reward those that put in the effort and naturally that's going to create a gap between those that do and those that don't.

Unfortunately despite all that toxic players will always be toxic players.

To be fair also I've pugged a bunch of omnibus and the times it's been the smoothest is when I've played tank, it really does lead me to believe that unfortunately the ease of a run hinges largely, if not basically entirely on the quality of the support players.

Realistically this game probably needs more people to start embracing their support roles, it's like I said in an earlier post as well, people who can't support and still want to queue omnibus are playing Russian Roulette with themselves and everyone else they force to queue with them.
    • Like x 2
  18. OnlyNomad The One Above All

100% the system needs to be in place. Unfortunately I think that because of the nature of the game and the amount of content we get, the gap increases a lot faster than most new players can catch up.

I've had the same kind of experience, most of the Omnibus content I ran was at the mercy of the support roles and their ability. So like you said, either people need to start embracing their support role more (Doubt this will happen tbh, most MMO I play have a ridiculous ratio of support roles to DPS) or the devs have to reduce the importance of support roles in order to create a better synergy. I don't have an exact solution but maybe introducing a new form of role buffs could do the trick.
    • Like x 2
  19. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

That sounds like the kind of person that said that dominance affected a tanks ability to draw aggro.
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Possibly a roleless buff yea, although roleless buffs have never been present in regular raids, I thought I read they were putting them back in alerts though, perhaps I'm wrong?

A roleless buff though won't fix issues stemming from a support player of course who is simply terrible, their presence within the role alone would remove the buff and they'd still continue to cause issues.

I certainly don't have all the solutions either, to be fair the game right now probably feels a bit closer to the culture that existed some time around T4-early T5, the content isn't that difficult, but the expectation that people understand they have to play more than just DPS is definitely there and being somewhat forced.

For the better part of 8 years now since that period the entire community have been playing a very different game, the culture shock of changing that over night has led to and inevitable reaction that I personally, would be hesitant to make changes around in the immediate term, because those sorts of reactions usually die down in time as people make the adjustment. :)
    • Like x 1