ThIs gAmE iS DeAd!?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Hraesvelg, Aug 27, 2021.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

How many of those games made with UE3 on consoles were also MMOs? It's one thing to make a single player game using any engine for a console, even if it has some multiplayer elements. But a full-blown MMO is another matter. It's an apples and oranges kind of comparison.
    • Like x 1
  2. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Since most of the stuff in DCUO is instanced, I'd argue that we're comparing the same thing. The only real large scale MMO element of DCUO is Metropolis and Gotham.
  3. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

Doesn't matter lol. Any game made with UE3 is much more demanding than DCUO. The problem with DCUO is that the Devs didn't use the full potencial of UE3 back in the day. We still only have "normal textures" on PC since 2011.

Now it 2021, PS3 support is dead, and we still didn't even have any meaningful graphic change, new models are whatever really when the water still looks like blue plastic.
    • Like x 2
  4. zNot Loyal Player

Guess i hit a nerve and the OP thread also didnt touch on graphics so whats your point?
    • Like x 1
  5. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I'm sure you did, bubba. :rolleyes:
  6. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I get it fully make no mistake.
    When you compare a classic to something today, graphically and really in all ways except the actual gameplay, the new will almost always win.
    Shiny/new doesnt = better tho. To think it does makes one foolish.
    Its these ppl’s loss. The game does not need better graphics. If players wanna pass on such a good game because graphics then its their loss and if they cant experience a game for the game due to graphics then we r prob better off w/out them.
    Take any classic game we still play today (like the few i listed for example). By the logic expressed by your friends, these games are no good an not worth playing….. well, “x” years of gaming and remakes and sequels and downloads etc all says they are wrong. Sorry but again, its their loss.
  7. OnlyNomad The One Above All

You're missing my point but that's alright. Cheers.
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

No i get it, i do. I just dont care.
    I want players to play this to experience the game and because they want to experience the game. If it takes new graphics the game dont need just to entice someone to play them i dont really care that they dont wanna play. Devs weigh pros an cons on this. If it was worth it to them to redo the game an update graphics to entice the players you mention and others like them to the game then they’d do it (and if they do then great). So far, they havent done it an its brought up pretty much constantly lol.
    I get it fully, Thats not the players we want to attract perhaps? If they chase shiny an new then they aint gonna stay anyway as there will be something shiny an new to chase. It’d likely be a short sighted investment.
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

the graphics.

not the expectation that you'll spend 15/mo sub fee and then hundreds on top of that. the graphics.
    • Like x 3
  10. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I understand the difficulty in being objective. At the end of the day, we want all types of players playing this game, the game already has very limited resources and support, we can't cherry pick the community to fit our specific needs.

I get your point, you enjoy the game and don't really care that others have criticism about it but it's important to stay open minded and listen to the criticism. The developers don't have the resources or manpower to upgrade this game's engine, there's no cons to upgrading a game's engine, it's not about it not being worthy of their time.

See I don't particularly enjoy TC or microtransactions but if there's players willing to pay money and therefore support the game I like and keep it alive through that avenue, I'll respect it in a sense.
    • Like x 2
  11. OnlyNomad The One Above All

There's a multitude of reasons why people don't stick around or refuse to play DCUO. I'm not here to argue which one is more important than the others.
    • Like x 3
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Thats where ur wrong or at least misrepresenting what i have said or not getting what i have said.
    The criticism is fine. I operate in reality tho. Is there plans to change to UE5? I may be wrong but im pretty sure i recall devs past an present say they arent changing to a more powerful engine. They also are limited by the engine they are using as i understand it.
    So yea, no graphics coming (sorry). So your friends not wanting to play due to graphics is mute. Graphics aint coming an wanting them wont make it happen. Search the forum, graphics debate pops up like clockwork. Its all the time lol, there numerous threads.
    I stand by what i said. If graphics r all that matters then they shouldnt play and i dont want them wasting their time nor anyone elses. If they wanna play a good game with good gameplay then welcome. Its that simple. Holding graphics out to the devs like a carrot aint gonna get em to bite sorry.
    Am i on board with a new engine an new graphics and new etc etc etc? Sure
    Does the game need it? Of course not

Now 2x you have referenced objectivity as if your presenting objective truth and i am not. Your presenting your subjective view as am I. So stop trying to pretend your some arbitor of truth on this.
    At least i am referencing track record, mountains of threads on the matter and possibly devs comments on this (i admitted i cant be sure). What your offering is the smallest anecdotal sample size possible to form your subjective view.
    So you can save your “objectivity” stuff too.
  13. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

it's easy to show this just during the release of a certain "redesign" of a part of the game, let's wait and see in a few weeks/months and talk about it afterwards ;)
    • Like x 1
  14. OnlyNomad The One Above All

My point was that this game whether WE like it or not, is extremely archaic in most of its facets. Does it bother me or you? No. Are the developers planning to overhaul the game? Outside of character models, no.

This does not eliminate my point that the graphics are ONE OF the many reasons why players choose to play a game or not. This game would benefit from such an overhaul but unfortunately it's not planned. The vast majority of gamers choose which game they play the same way people pick books to read or restaurant to eat at, they look at the cover/appearance or read the reviews.

I'm agreeing with you that I don't personally need a graphical overhaul of the game to enjoy it, where I disagree is when you say we shouldn't give a rat's *** and let those new players run away.

What you're saying is basically "I love the game, the content is incredible and rich, the graphics are great and criticism towards any of those aspect can **** off because what matters most is the opinion I hold of this game". Yeah, you'd be right if this wasn't a subscription based model and unfortunately, your subscription isn't what's keeping the lights on, it's everyone's. This means that if this game doesn't follow suit and updates through the years, it'll become increasingly difficult to attract new subscribers.

Steam charts had an average player count of under 600 players in DCUO for the month of January 2021 and that's with an increase of 21% from the month of December 2021. I'd argue that were in dire need of something to freshen this game up because those numbers are abysmal.

My view isn't subjective, this game NEEDS to upgrade in order to retain its player base and attract new ones. It can't be done in an instant but if we keep dismissing change like you do with the sole reason being "Well ****, game's fine for me!", you and I will be looking at a black screen in a few years.
    • Like x 2
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Ur first paragraph sums it up and makes the rest mute.
    That said, i’d almost kill for full and fresh remake on a current engine with more possibilities.
    Reality is that its not happening no matter what criticism is offered. Daybreak is a business, they crunch the numbers not us (although we try haha). If they aint doing it then theres a reason and they are in a better position to make the call. Also i too agree with you in that theres plenty of various reasons that various groups of potential players dont play. As you just said, theres many reasons. Graphics is about as stupid a reason frankly as i have ever heard. Not stupid on an individual level or anything personal. Stupid in the same sence that if you had the opportunity to drive a 63’ stingray vette and drive it free and drive it free i can think of plenty of solid reasons to pass. Because you dont like Red for example seems about the stupidest reason to pass on the experience is all lol
    • Like x 1
  16. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Why are forums users so dense... :confused:

This argument is pointless now, have a great night my guy.
  17. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

The big problem with this game is that it only has instances to make it live in, it doesn't have a world as strong as a TESO, Guild Wars or Final Fantasy etc, so it ends up making the game uninteresting in the long run...

There isn't even a story either....
  18. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Its cool, we will Drive the vette, ur friends can drive what they want :) win/win
  19. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

pve phase
    pve phase
    pve phase
    umm how is pvp phase doing?
  20. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

They don't care because they don't pvp, that's how it works around here, 1 dimensional gamers.