Stat Clamp Overraction

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by timetrapper52, Aug 27, 2021.

1. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I don't know, I guess I look at it like anyone can be a terrible player. Healers can be, tanks can be, trolls can be. Dps's also can be. Even if they didn't spend a dime or spent $10k. But the majority blame high output dps's and that's just terrible to me to hate on someone who has clearly put a lot of effort and money into doing their job extremely well. But yeah, I get it. Blame game takes no prisoners lol.

But for clarity, last run I was in we had 2 randoms. One was a healer and one was dps. One of us had to help heal and the dps that was dying every 5secs was about 20mil down on damage to the rest of us.
    • Like x 3
  2. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

That's true however there are far more DPS than support roles so the blame game usually goes to them but nevertheless high output DPS shouldn't be allowed to one shot enemies in low tier content as that ruins the experience to them. I was in a T2 raid and these players didn't care about running past adds just to fight the boss. The group and I got mad and their response was "that how we role". To me it didn't bother me as much since I already experienced running T2 raids but can you imagine how the newer players might feel. What run was it?
    • Like x 1
  3. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

I think a lot of us have been in groups with tanks that don't tank, healers that don't heal, controllers that are just out for damage, oddly that one person standing in the back doing nothing but dancing, and yes the much maligned DPS scoreboard chaser.

I have been in dozens of duos with someone that just stays right behind me goes and hides never actually doing anything. Now with stat clamping all those people make it massively harder to get through content because you don't have the use of your fully earned CR. Last night I went through three in a row where the whole group wiped except me because I was stuck with new players or low level players refusing to follow very nicely written directions on what to do to get through the content. Worse some kept spamming hate because I didn't keep dying with them just so they could run in and die for tenth time. I have my limits on dying on purpose to help others that refuse to help themselves let alone the team. So I get to spend ten times longer beating a boss solo nearly dying repeatedly because "Stat Clamping Is So Awesome."

Heavy sigh.
    • Like x 4
  4. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

"New" fos raid. Have a pretty similar story for old clamped fos3 but that was just so easy we didn't care what the randoms were doing
    • Like x 1
  5. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I feel you but at the same time it puts me in a position knowing I'm a good player that knows how to read and takes me away from the players who don't but yes ultimately we still lose (from your perspective of course), I can dish out damage and tank so its a win win for me XD
  6. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

I agree with this.

This new system encourages Feat grinding for Skill Points. Also, Augment and Artifact grinding. I still feel plenty powerful even when clamped because I took the time to Feat grind and grind my Augments and Artifacts.

Let the GRIND recommence!! (^_^)
    • Like x 2
  7. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This presumes everyone plays for the same reasons. This is ultimately what torpedos the argument in support of stats clamping.

DC Comics is an IP with popular characters dating back more than 80 years. The IP has fans that play ranging from children to seniors, execs to people with disabilities. The assumption that everyone plays to be the best or even competent is deeply flawed. This is the assumption that assumes your perspective is representative of the majority of players when it is not. If you've been playing long enough you would know that the bulk of players here are here for the IP specifically and their primary concern is experiencing the content. They do NOT care about being good by your standards and they're perfectly fine with being carried because they just want to experience the content. And there's nothing wrong with any of that. They're keeping the lights on. Elite content was created for the niche of remaining players who wanted difficult content.

If this game wasn't DC Comics it would have shut down years ago. Most players are here for the immersive comics content primarily; at the time of this post DCUO is the only relatively modern quality game of this genre on the market and has no direct competition driving it to be better. Which is a problem because there's no concern that a lack of features, updates etc, or in this case dubious development decisions, will lead to players going to a competitor.
    • Like x 4
  8. Controller Devoted Player

Overall I feel good about these changes...

They WILL take some time to get used to...some aspects of it feel like a new game, tbh - like the menu.

The gameplay? Overall not bad.

Did the Starro raid with group at 261 CR - had no issues or massive wipes.

Did Prime Battle ground at CR 83 with group of same CRs - everyone seemed to work together and we got it done in decent time.

Nexus Raid? I was a bit hesitant queuing into this one, lol - but was pleasantly surprised that the group was able to get the split bosses done the 2nd time around and instructions were received well.

PZr? Had a bit of s struggle, at least at LB. I offered to change to Troller and the group was ok with it. Once I changed we finished that as well.

Did FOS2 Reg yesterday and that was a challenge. The Dps seemed to want to rush through it. We did the split bosses ok. LB was a load but we were fortunate enough to have a very good tank to finish it.

Did FOS3 today, at CR. Burn was good and we finished it properly.

I think once I get used to the menu and figure out what these new Marks are used for things will get even better. I neglected to watch the stream for these changes and I'd probably be a bit ahead of things if I did lol.

Just a bit to digest but I think it will all balance out. Saw several players have feats pop for them, which is good.
    • Like x 4
  9. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I've always told those around me that the IP this game is related to, is what's keeping it together. That's why all the iconic stuff is so popular, people wouldn't play this game as much if it wasn't attached to the DC IP. You also made a valid point that player expectations, goals and experiences are different. Gamers tend to often forget that not everyone plays these games religiously with the sole intent of becoming the best. I for one have been playing casually since launch, I have no intention on being the best or being good for that matter. I enjoy the content the best I can and I leave it at that, when the content doesn't satisfy me I just unsub and come back later. People need to stop acting like the narrative they've created is representative of everyone and everything.

I wouldn't be surprise to find out Elite content or SM is only ever played by <1% of the player base. A lot of people just login to socialize with others and create iconic characters.
  10. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

What a great attitude.
    Glad your so good and no one ever took a moment to tell you anything or teach you anything smfh
    • Like x 2
  11. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You start at Brainiac ship and go to a leveling tutorial till you reach level 30 by then you should have been able to read words on the screen especially when they're red. If you think being able to play competent is flawed well that is a real shocker. I started new like everyone else and even I know when to avoid skulls, block or read words that pop up in the screen i.e having to separate from the group or else be wiped.
    • Like x 1
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Your claim is objectively false. Im still a cold beast, top of the boards an feel plenty powerful. Clamp didnt make me trash (you claim ur good and its the clamp that makes you trash).
    I call BS. All the good players i know are still good. If your trash its cause ur trash sorry to say. Learn mechanics, you’ll be fine tho
    • Like x 3
  13. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Ouch... I'm so sorry I had no idea you struggled in every single instance since stat clamp went live. Maybe I can give you some tips or good loadouts. :cool:
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

So what? We all did the ship. We all block and avoid skull attacks.

What does any of this have to do with you erroneously believing everyone plays for the same reasons you do?
    • Like x 1
  15. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

If you didn't understand my point then you failed to realize that being competent is part of the game. This game has been out for ten years now and everyone who plays this game should know how to read and follow simple instructions. The devs can't give it to us any simpler than that.
    • Like x 1
  16. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I didn't fail to understand anything. I literally schooled you on your flawed perspective and instead of acknowledging that, or even rebutting it, you replied with inconsequential ramblings about the basics of the game. If you're going to present yourself as a "vet" and assert your xp over others, you should actually know who's playing the game and what makes them tick by now instead of running around believing they all play like you do.
    • Like x 2
  17. JSnaples Committed Player

Not exactly struggling more of a pain in the *** that instances take twice as long to complete now
    • Like x 2
  18. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Then how would you be able to gain access to new content if progression has been abandoned? Have the devs settled on allowing players to gain access to the next dlc without "high" gear scores? If you could gain access without a raising your gear score then how would you complete your missions since Bosses and adds have "higher" damage and health pools in comparison to the previous tiers.

Your progression grants you access to experiencing new content, that's its primary purpose for the player. After all, players are locked out of content if they don't pass gear score checks. If your of the mind that gear scores don't add to the challenge or experience within new content than shouldn't they get rid of gear altogether? What's the point of having multiple tiers since stat progression is relative. No matter how much you gear up, you're still dealing with percentages. You progress so you can take 50% of health away from your target in 5 hits only to achieve it again and again up through the latest tier.

In other words: Your pretty much doing the same dance in every tier, trying to get as close to one shotting your targets as a Damage dealer as you can get (for healers its restoring HP to 100% in one move and tanks is becoming invulnerable). How well your efficacy in doing that dance per tier is where players seem to get their enjoyment. Take this away and the point or motivation to gearing is lost---including ripping through old content since you go backwards because you went forward.

Bottom Line: The point of gear is lost without forward progression. Without being able to go forward erases the point or ability to go backward. So, taking away your ability to rip through content isn't taking away the point to gear progression. Ripping through content relies on forward gear progression to exist so there still is a point to gearing without being able go back and face-roll content.
    • Like x 2
  19. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Nice bait but no thanks. There's no flaw in knowing how to follow simple directions.
    • Like x 1
  20. Vincent Lestrange New Player

I can understand somewhat the direction they intended with the stat clamp. However I still believed it should have only been optional in the Omni Bus and offer rewards of decent amount to encourage older players and veterans to play it. Right now while none of the instances have been impossible they take a large amount of time and when you got the time that's perfectly okay. I have tried four raids today and my group fell apart for each because half the team no matter what you said didn't read prompts or do the simple put your guard up when skull pops up.

However that is a moot point, the stat clamp itself has ruined basic daily running for me. I used to be able to do Bop, Chaos Gotham, Flashpoint, and Titans dailies in about three to four hours on my main and two alts. Now it takes me about half the time one one character and it forces me to choose my time. I get in raids, alerts and all but basic open world content the clamp shouldn't have been forced as it slows the daily grind to a crawl for no reason. I don't have a ton of time to play daily even if I wanted to. Its just my opinion I just wished it had been locked to the Omni bus, which should have been a lowbie and veteran refresher tool with extra incentive rewards to let higher cr's players do it for it. But ehh like I said it's just my opinion.