Stat clamp is going to ruin DCUO- Please reconsider making this go live

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by JSnaples, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Noxious Flora Well-Known Player

Well yeah if you wanna random queue, you should have to be clamped. Not gonna get any disagreement from me on that point.
    • Like x 1
  2. the solowing Steadfast Player

As i said to Reinheld, let them tune the clamp, they are far too deep in this by now. They just announced it to us, how long was this already in the works behind the scenes? Do you remember their was a walk-in portal that kept giving them issues, so they removed it from the game years ago (They havent done a Instance Walk-in Portals since Origin Crisis i think). If that is any indication of the difficulties on the technical side, i can fully understand why *optional* isn't on the table at least for the moment. Once the clamp is tuned and everything is worked out, i will be asking about a un-clamped option with you guys.
  3. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Is stat clamping the beginning of the end for DCUO, or is it the rebirth its being advertised as? I suppose we won't know until its here. All this guessing about what "the playerbase" will do. I have no idea, and neither do you. I only know what I will do. And I just don't see myself scrambling to earn feats or build my characters knowing the building will be largely for naught. I only forsee myself collecting styles here on out. Very little marketplace to those ends also. It's just paper dolls now. God damned paper dolls.
    • Like x 1
  4. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

I can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself.

The last time I played TT just went live.

I did not complete that DLC or the 1 before it, I still have a feat in HH that I need.

With that said...

This could have been resolved if people would just focus on the things that they need.

Cause and effect is all it is.

Cause- newer players needed a way to catch up

Effect- skipped over the very content that they want others to run, who don't need that content any more.

If for alts they gave us the ability to buy feats, it's just that it is easier to just run the older content, but...

Self inflicted wound, if you already obtained it on your main, most others who ran it with you have it...

To just be blunt, buy the feat and be done with it.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Sons of Trigon was the last one with walk-in portals. The duos and the alert all have portals in the Gotham Wastelands. But considering Sons of Trigon was the next episode after Origin Crisis, it'd probably be fair to lump them together in that regard.
    • Like x 2
  6. zNot Loyal Player

Wish they would focus on the newest elite raid regarding increasing difficulty i dont think stat clamp is good for most especially if they havent even managed to correctly adjust/scale the newest current Elite raids i mean we are day 1 completing it with previous episode gear and stats no wonder ppl are bored and quit dcuo for many episodes in a row now.
  7. the solowing Steadfast Player

Wat?
  8. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

He's saying the "new" raid is way too easy again. From what I've seen, it's not looking like much of a challenge for anyone. Znot, I wouldn't expect anything this dlc but the old elites that were rough should be again once this goes live. If you're like a lot of us, you have no reason to run them but still, can for a challenge. Well, maybe not a challenge but they'll take longer.
    • Like x 1
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The only once since Origin Crisis was the solo(s) from Wonderverse. It didn't cause the same issues as before because it was a solo.
    • Like x 2
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You'll have to wait till Episode 42 for that.
    • Like x 1
  11. Toshknight Loyal Player

actaully.... mmorpgs, were designed to have players, interact with eachother, relying on only other players, to group up and go kill and loot something, is the biggest part of what mmos are suppose to be.

This whole I don't wanto talk to anyone, just que up, i can solo everything. Let me ask you, do you want a solo Online game? or a MMORPG, massive MULTIPLAYER roll playing Game, this company SOE, now daybreak, started all the great stuff in MMORPG history, with innovations that will forever be remember by many, more then anything that has happened in the last 10 years,

You log into an mmorpg, you pay 15 dollars a month for, no f2p or anything like that yet has shown it's ugly head, say star wars galaxies, or Ever quest, Everquest 2. you have no voice chat, you have no discord, you have to meet people and group up just to kill stuff and level.

Then imagine this, you start a guild with people you actually like, not just to have a guild hall, and not talk to any of them, and do your daily quests, do a pug, or alert, w/e u que up, or /lfg, is a echo of what mmos use to be, cause they are meaning less in making friends for the most part,

once you have truly met these people in game and logged on for months, everyday, seeing the same people, getting to know them , while they are across the world from you, grouping, in a guild you created, someone in the guild/league/alliance w/e clan, buys a Ventrilo server , or TeamSpeak server, Ergo Ventrilo /ts all use to be the only discord/ live chat we had before there were in game chats, and TONS of guilds had them, and they utilized them in great community bettering ways, whether it be to set up a pvp tournament, or just talk with your friends and help each other grow the city you have built on Naboo out of nothing. its all lost and the mmo genre is almost lost on most players now, if you started playing mmos after 2009, its not your fault you never go to to see how , when you first load into a Star port "SWG" after making a character, with no money, 1 crappy speeder bike, that you have to repair, after use or it will be blown up forever. you meet other people that are either the same as you or slightly higher level then you and you start doing missions, and group up, and actually talk to each other, instead of just going through the motions.

Imagine having a Broker with Nothing but Awesome player crafted armor, clothing, food, drink "for buffs", vehicles , weapons , all placed there by players that are running businesses , and have vendors for those items to be bought in there city or you could just buy it on the broker and go pick it up,

but all we have now is Resurgence, capsules that are dropping the new style, which, i like new styles, but i don't like the idea of paying 15 dollars for my experience, which is plenty, then having to go buy after sub market items, to look like a hero i wanto, its crappy for the player but great for the devs, and the players have gotten use to it, like drones , i myself, have even bought tons of crap.

yet

the level "clamp" is a step to kind of get players on the same level as the other players doing the same content, and if you really can't stand grouping or helping one or 2 people in this DC MMO, then, your playing a entirely wrong genre of game, which has morphed into something that isn't even a MMORPG anymore kind of.

I know i went on a long blah blah blah, i feel like and am that guy that is like BACK IN MY DAY, and im not even 35 yet, i really just want you to understand how awesome Games like this use to be, forget about everything you know about this game , the way it is, i dont know why you play it, maybe you like the Random, Que ups, doing your stuff and forgetting who you even grouped with, cause its not about that anymore, its just about getting our characters CR maxed out, and getting Skill points, for most people, and that isn't in the spirit of how this company has made some games that will never be topped and have implemented mechanics in the past that still haven't been done better or even matched. its very sad.

i hope you find enjoyment in the game you started to play, cause, i know its easy to look for things and point out bad things in a game, that's what forums are for, but despite that you should be able to go into the game and not even care cause you like the game, and spent so much time on your character, and friendships you have created, maybe Its social media that ruined it, but thats a cop out, too many people say social media ruined everything, yes its a big part, but i think its the ease of access to everything we have, has been interpreted into the very video games that are suppose to challenge us, and we want everything right away, right now.
    • Like x 3
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Forgot about that one, thanks.
    • Like x 1
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Actually.

They were designed to have players interact with each other, but you've made a leap by conflating interacting with each other and teaching each other. OP is correct, while the game is designed for us to interact with each other online in a persistent ingame environment, players are not responsible for teaching each other how to play or carrying each other.

And players are not expected to sacrifice their own play experience for someone else's either. This is recreation not work.

A lot of this is really nostalgic and ignores the fact that MMOs as a genre began around 20+ years ago. During that time they were played by teens and young adults. Both the genre and the players have matured since then. Players grew up to have responsibilities like families and careers and the games have evolved to play differently too -- to accommodate the group in their players. 20 years ago as kids we didn't all care how awful the people we were playing with were ... as mature adults a lot of us realize we don't necessarily want to play with or interact with everyone in game because they're not great people. So, the genre has rightfully been maturing to not force its players to interact with other people they may not want to; and smart devs are not fighting this. And of course, in keeping with that, it's poor design to force players to rely on others for their progression also.

In fact, I recall Spytle once sharing instance data with the forums and solo content is the most popular content in the game or nearly the most popular. I remember being very surprised at first by this info.

There's some misconceptions here. You're living in the past and doing some gatekeeping. MMOs have changed and that change is driven by the players. Playing the game solo or selectively with others is a perfectly valid way to experience the game.

In fact, if you don't like that others don't want to play the way you do, I would say you need to take a step back and stop trying to control and dictate how other people spend their time and money; and it's you that doesn't belong in an MMO because you're not playing well with others at that point. Let people play how they want to.
    • Like x 4
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I don't dislike you either. Cheers

As Reinheld pointed out earlier, some of you have a silly idea that players are just dying to play old content and help out players they don't know, but just aren't doing it because it's too easy or they aren't getting properly rewarded. And that Game Update 41.2021 will somehow force the rest of us to play low level content when we don't want to. It's not going to happen. At first it might, but as people figure out for themselves they aren't interested; this bubble will burst.

This GU is not "correcting" stats and SPs to be more important now -- this is an elitist wet dream. smh It's smoothing out an obscenely convoluted progression/tier system. The game will be going from 13 tiers to 5 or something. Which is needed -- that's the change that's intended. No one is doing this to make SPs more important. Reading this telegraphs that you don't understand the topic. There is no way in Tartarus that the devs will emphasize a system like SPs that would lockout new players from ever being able to catch up. No, not, even with the changes they still won't be able to catch up on the hundreds of SPs because the bulk of our players are in endgame (who won't be donating their time) and there isn't enough new player population to support an "at level" community in pre-endgame content.

The only people excited for it are people like yourself who think you'll finally be more important than the players who didn't spend their time grinding SPs (that you appear to be super salty about btw), and a couple people here on the forums who have dubious motivations for their support. And that's not even counting the cluster!@$% that Allies will bring with their graphics pollution.

As for your opinions, I use to be like you; thinking playing games meant I understood how to make good ones. When I started working in the industry I realized how much more there was to learn. With enough xp you'll realize you can't just Dunning-Kruger your way through topics.
    • Like x 1
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure why that went to alts buying feats or whatever. Long story short, if you (or anyone else) need that feat in HH...let's pretend it's 'hat trick'...And you want it today...or if it were the 'Furious' style that drops there (assuming you didn't already complete it in BOP dailies). The main obstacle in getting it done today is finding 1 or 2 other competent people and 5 people to queue you in. That does take some work, but some LFG shouts for fillers get picked up on all day every day. If the goal of the change was primarily to allow people to get that feat or complete that style, we'd have a system to get in without those 5 fillers...as that's generally the barrier. Putting things to a random queue system, mean you'd be LESS likely to get HH...even LESS likely to then get people willing to work on that feat. It's a co-ordination feat....not speed...not 'no death'...meaning you NEED the others to co-ordinate effort vs just doing whatever they feel like will get them those 10 source a min earlier. Granted, the styles will be a bit easier, assuming the omnibus places you in the run you need...but that 'Hat Trick' feat? No, 'fraid not. Good feat hunters (old or new) know how to build groups and get into stuff. This is NOT for them.

I see this benefiting 3 groups. Group 1 - New players who aren't good at LFG, or just prefer queueing up. Many will just want to run the content...and it will work fine for that as long as 1 or 2 people in the group know mechanics and the rest of the people listen. If they end up in there with a group of unknowledable people or vets who don't care to do some instructions, they may get frustrated if things turn to a shoot-show. Group 2 - is people who need source and can't or don't farm it. They wont' care about feats....they care about source marks...farming source generally means going the quickest route to the end. Group 3 - The vet players who want a challenging run in old content they either played a long time ago, or never got to play as intended. I'd guess most will build their own groups and do fine. Of course they could build their own groups today....so not much is changing for them other than the difficulty, which should not be that difficult to challenge them anyway (especially if they are 'meta' players going above what the clamp will provide in challenge).

Now...how much of our player base falls into one of those 3 groups? If it's 90% the clamps will be a huge success. If 20% not so much. I don't have the numbers...but I'm not sure DBG does either. We'll find out...probably this Thursday or next.
    • Like x 2
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

I expect players to do what's in their own self-interest, nothing more nothing less.

"I need source marks!"

Before Episode 41 - Run CR relevant content (read: endgame content) or buy from the marketplace.

After Episode 41 - Run non endgame content or buy from the marketplace.

Having source marks drop alongside episode currency in "CR relevant content" ensured that players were incentivized to stay there. That barrier is broken down somewhat after Episode 41.

I saw a lot more people in Doomed Metropolis during the episode spotlight...give the Devs some credit on being able to waggle the carrot. ;) One doesn't have to be in the gaming industry to understand human behavior.
    • Like x 3
  17. Dev72 Dedicated Player

I f

If that makes you feel better to psycho-analyze people to enhance your argument....then..ok...if you say so.

But, most know as the Devs have explained time and again, that gear was never meant to be the ultimate chase. Most also know how the game is now, and what is intended are two entirely different things, that for some reason you continue to try to convolute into a massive "OMG the sky is falling, because they are taking away my gear stats, and forcing me not to faceroll old content" campaign you and others are on.
  18. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Agree with this part especially. One of the reasons I'm good at what I do is because I understand human behaviour. In keeping with that, you forgot a few options like walking away from the game. DCUO is a real world example of death through a thousand cuts. We can walk through its various mistakes over the years and can't point to any single reason for its lack of mainstream success--it's the sum of its mistakes.

Again, players will play the content after the update for a couple weeks until they realize they don't want to carry others, or slog through it. And after that you'll start to see the posts and players will start to log out.

Swing and a miss. Knowing what you're talking about isn't the same as psycho-analyzing people -- Oh the drama of being caught not knowing your topic.

This is very divorced from reality and doesn't really deserve more of a reply beyond that.
    • Like x 1
  19. Dev72 Dedicated Player

I find it humorous that if you disagree with someone, the only retort is "they do not know what they are talking about." Especially, after the Devs have explained in full detail with the intent of the game moving forward.

What is really divorced from reality is the value you stamp solely on gear stats while dismissing everything else.
    • Like x 1
  20. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I might have missed this over the past few years, but has the spotlight on episodes been done other than Doomed Met.? That might have been a better way to do the Stat clamp. Having rewards and clamp rotate to different episodes on a weekly basis.

Does anyone know if open world bounties will still be solo-able when over geared?
    • Like x 1