Shall we bring wavedox back on?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Bytecode, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Bytecode Well-Known Player

Hey folks,

I stopped playing in 2015 and I was able to maintain wavedox.com for a couple of years after that, but at some point unfortunately I was no longer able to maintain it because I didn't want to monetize with ads.

As life takes turns, I'm now in a better position to maintain it again with the same principles: ad-free, intuitive UI with mobile-first design, fast page load, and your continuous feedback for improvements.

My motivation to dedicate the time again is the upcoming game update and my potential return as a player. I like the new mindset to allow free tier to play end-game content in a competitive manner.

What do you think, would wavedox be just another site now? Are there other great options in place nowadays or is it worth the time to bring it back on?
    • Like x 15
  2. Dev72 Dedicated Player

I am all for it, I used it often when it was up and running.
    • Like x 1
  3. jolaksi Well-Known Player

I think this website pretty much covers what wavedox did in the past + has more features:

https://dcuobot.com/

Not that I want to prevent you doing something you like but think it as a time saver.
    • Like x 2
  4. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

let us say again, "just wavedox me' or 'wavedox 'em'
    • Like x 1
  5. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

I used wavedox and a few other sites from time to time. But I came to the conclusion that websites like that caused more problems between players than it solved.
    • Like x 3
  6. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

another 3rd party app? have they not been bought, is why ignore them all. Have them make it. if licensing applies, have that company get theirs or shut up/legal fees. Marvel stole efx software?

omg, news from old news on unknown sources, is it nbew news, probabnly not. https://www.cvbj.biz/2021/08/18/legal-problems-for-marvel-studios/

Great , now rely on the company making a certification or reward from a subsidiary they made. Vietnam and Iraq/Afghanistan was Military industrial complex war profiteering for sure. Bush/Cheney, are you still ignoring that ****?? U had warning of potential enemies flying planes as attack, and ignored or said no. How else do u explain that? They do not read warning provided by the nature of the experience and seem to not be able to READ.
  7. Shalayah Committed Player

I’m not against it nothing wrong with the OG returning
    • Like x 2
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

I always loved using wavedox, but to be perfectly honest, zonexus.ca and zonexus.ca/beta are my current go-tos. No clue how it works on mobile, since I'm PC master race and all, but it's fast loading and has all of the relevant data I'm looking for in a simple UI. I'm not sure I'd reinvent the wheel, but I'm not going to discourage hobbies.
    • Like x 2
  9. Beastmaster Well-Known Player

Tbh i prefered wavedox i not found a preferably replacement for me but i do hope the character picture gets updated if you proceed to do wavedox again.
    • Like x 1
  10. Hraesvelg Always Right

If I recall, the lack of updates in character images has to do with the data available to scrape on Daybreak's end. I think they sorta just left what work was done on the Census API up and stopped developing it.
    • Like x 5
  11. Bytecode Well-Known Player

Thanks everyone, what I hear is that we miss the OG but we also have similar options nowadays. I'll dig the Census API docs and see if there's anything new, perhaps new data points that would enable new features.

For example, back in the days we didn't have stats about actual gameplay like combat logs, completion time etc. We also didn't have enough stats for a proper Top Leagues feature so I had to workaround it to make it possible.

If I spot anything new and promising, I'll give it a shot and share it in a new thread to get your feedback.
    • Like x 5
  12. Starblast Well-Known Player

A lot of people stopped playing in 2015. not just because of wavedox. The monthly episodes was a huge turn off for many. I took a break in mid 2015 until right before AF3 in 2016. I didn't feel like i missed out on much either. actually I would argue this past year has been hit and miss. hopefully this new update makes all better. it seems like it may go over well and bring back returning players. we will have to see!
    • Like x 1
  13. Eve YouTuber

I don't mind if it comes back or not, but I think DCUOBot just covers about everything needed nowdays. I don't think Wavedox covered artifacts.
    • Like x 2
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Also having DCUOBot as a mobile app is great.
  15. the solowing Steadfast Player

I found it ironic the people who quit were the ones who wanted a quicker content cadence cycle not thinking that would have a impact on quality.
    • Like x 1
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

As some others have said, it would be nice to see the OG again, but unlike when it was first out there are alternative sites which are similarly streamlined and easy to use. I like zonexus.ca personally mainly for quick looking at which alts need a feat I didn't buy on them without switching. However as people will be looking up stats more after this update, if you were inclined to launch it, I'd get it up soon and catch a new crop of Picky Petes who will want to know the makeup of people they are inviting to a group now....probably some of the old guard who will want to go back to the OG for nostalgia sake.

Plus it is more fun to say 'Yeah....dox me bro...look me up' vs 'zonexus me my guy...I got mad skills'.
    • Like x 2
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Speaking of things to add to make it stand out from the other options... would you be willing to look into the option of uploading our own pics, as a way to replace the broken avatar/Paper Doll that we used to get when looking up our toons on Wavedox?
    • Like x 1
  18. Bytecode Well-Known Player

Yeah too easy
    • Like x 1
  19. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Ah man, the OG Wavedox... brings back memories. I'm all for bringing it back, but like others have said, DCUOBot and I think DCUOBloguide kinda have everything covered. I'd also like to see you getting some kind of kickback from it - so whether you have ads, a donation button, or whatever, I'd be down for it.
  20. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

BRING IT BACK!

That poorly run sham of a site Obsidian tied his name to is almost useless. Leagues aren’t updating and member are shown in multiple leagues. please bring back WaveDox!!!