Bring back Rock Paper Scissors

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MojoDuul, Aug 2, 2021.

1. MojoDuul Active Player

In the past there was a rock paper scissors gameplay. tanks would beat trolls, trolls would beat healers and healers would be tanks. this is desperately needed in dcuo. ever been a healer and fought a tank? do you have any idea how long those fights can go on for? you have a tank who just heals himself and tanks against a healer who keeps healing themselves. it is a never ending fight. I have been in 1v1 matches where i am my healer and i run into a tanki we fight for like 5 or more minutes straight without anyone dying then eventually we just give up and chill and wait for the match to end. how can we possibly fix this? gee i wonder? how can we fix it so healers and tanks don't just beat on each other for 10 minutes and get no where? oh gee i know maybe we should make it so healers can debuff tanks ya gee what an idea? oh wait this is how the game USE to work wow it is almost as if the people who designed pvp in the first place knew what they were doing and the devs never should have changed it.

• Like x 3
  2. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

this would add much needed balance. I agree completely the game was way better when we had the trinity. tank vs healer battles are a headache.
    • Like x 1
  3. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I myself prefer Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock! ;)
    • Like x 5
  4. Solarbound Committed Player

I've been saying this. We need the RPS system back. In order for those DEVS to truly fix PVP, they have to retrace back to its original roots. My greatest concern for that is mainly within Arenas.

Btw, a 5 min duel is nothing. That's how it used to be back in the day, even when the RPS system was still in place. Me personally, I like the kind of fights that test your endurance. Longest duel I had lasted 45 min in a tank vs tank scenario; won it. And, that was back around 2013. What a legendary spectacle that was. We had quite the audience, too.
    • Like x 3
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This game never had a true RPS system because of the 4th DPS role. It always imbalanced the system. That's part of its inherent problem in DCUO.

I do think an RPS system is good here but I don't think it should be based on PVE roles. For example, DC Legends (a DC Comics mobile game) published by WBGames San Fran is basically a turn based pvp game that uses an RPS system. But they use "physical, mystical, and energy" for theirs. And these describe the 3 general types/sources of damage that happen in their game. DCUO could adopt this instead of the role based imperfect RPS it had.
    • Like x 1
  6. MojoDuul Active Player

i get where you are coming from but they can not add 3 completely new roles. would each power have a 3rd role? are you saying we should remove healers from arenas?
  7. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

God I feel old now that I remember that
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Bazinga. ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

From what I remember DPS back then was a paper tiger. Any of the three roles could beat a dps if you knew how to block & counter.

Also, pvp got screwed up because of Spytle screwed it up after losing a long PVP match. He turned pvp into a pewpewpew whoevere clicks registered first spam fest. Then we had AM spamfests. Then we had stats revamp and all of a sudden 5 minute pvp battles take too long. LOL
  10. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This doesn't change the fact that the system is balanced around an RPS system. Anything outside of a 3rd spoke breaks the balance and upsets the system.

PVP has a lot of problems that need to be solved. It has to be rebuilt ground up for the most part.
    • Like x 1
  11. Magnificent Loyal Player

To incorporate this it sounds like the easiest thing to do would be just remove DPS from the mix and force role-based PVP.

I think a lot of the player base who still PVP would be...

[IMG]

...less than pleased.

It would take work to bring DPS in line (looking at each powerset's PVP DPS performance individually then adjusting each specifically, maybe even specific powers) but it could work.

To my way of thinking the ones making out the worst would be Controllers as Healers and Tanks are foundationally damage mitigators whereas Controllers are not (unless their powerset contains a shield or two). This would mean not only changing how DPS are balanced but how Controllers are balanced against DPS.
  12. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

well he did post a video fighting someone where no one died. think he may have misspoke on the five minute part.
  13. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

Hmmm, elaborate more on this if you wouldn't mind.
  14. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

There does indeed need to be some sort of balance to PVP again. PVP is just a big mess right now. It's so broken all around.

Rock Paper Scissors will return some sort of order to the PVP environment until they can have more time to make finer adjustments.

...OH, an also maybe find a way to factor in how to better balance DPS role with the Support Roles.
    • Like x 1
  15. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

To much work and it will not end well after they are done.

Let me break it down for you.

Survivability.

Each role has it's own form.

Healers=heal- they would not be able to against a troll, but against a tank or DPS it would depend on skill, but the gap is way to big against a DPS and that would be where blowback comes from because they would be to OP against the vast majority if they adjusted the healer to be able to keep up with a DPS.

Tanks=durability-they used to be able to do something to trolls, again would need something done to balance it out so that there durability could cover them to take on a DPS and a healer. Basically the same problem as with healer, it's already happening.

Trolls=to many to just say 1 particular thing-i don't think I need to say much but for everything that we can do, it was taken away because of "bugs" where we could Perma stun or ghost someone and they can't seem to break out. We lost our ability to survive because of it too
    . Away our ability to mitigate damage in order to allow the other 3 to dominate us.

In short, if they balanced the roles out, there will be players who would hate the system, claim that it was never in the game before, and will flood the forums with cries of how PvP is screwed up worse.

None of what I was saying was factoring anything to do with skill, because, I know for a fact that even when ghosting was considered bug, a skilled player could destroy an unskilled troll and the only way to counter that is to flip it and it's what a troll has to be today in order to be successful.
  16. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

Still...

I believe some sort of order is better than none.

Bring back the R/P/S system. I think it would be way better than what we have currently.
  17. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

I wasn't saying that to disagree with you.

It's just that the community has a nasty history with how they receive things.

Short memories and a whole lot of people who were not around to even know that it was even in the game.

Not many left from the old days.
    • Like x 1
  18. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

for people saying that dps would have a hard time fighting healers and tanks first of all they already have a hard time fighting healers and tanks. an important thing to point out is that healers and tanks did not do as much damage back in the day. so a healer would fight a dps and heal themselves but when the healer attacked the dps he would not do as much dmg as the dps would do to the healer so it balances out. same goes with tanks, tanks would not do as much dmg to dps as dps does to tanks. when it comes to trolls they to do not do as much dmg so they would have to use dmg debuffs and defense debuffs to even the playing field when fighting dps.
    it was actually a very balanced system way more balanced than today.
    • Like x 1
  19. timetrapper52 Well-Known Player

Dimensional Ink has given zero update on the state of PvP that many of the playerbase want. That alone is troubling

If they don't see profit in PvP here's an idea

Add a PvP track for special cosmetics and pets. This can easily be monetized with some sort of prestige system if they can go that far

There already pushing login tracks they should see the potential

The PvP Fix is to bring back the RPS system with some balance and add new interesting maps

The Fix & Monetization is there. They just need to do it pure neglection

Could also be a manpower issue too look at this Episode 41. There unable to push big improvements along with new content
    • Like x 1
  20. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

OK, that makes sense.
    That does sound pretty balanced to me.

They'd just have to make sure that they have a short but sweet breakdown of the advantages Damage Role has on the PVP side for players to see. Maybe something like: Damage Role - PVP - +20% Damage...just an idea, but I'm sure you comprehend. LOL

Just so players understand that they indeed DO have a reason to be their favorite role. They will SEE with their EYES that they do have an advantage which is doing MORE damage than the other 3 roles.