Can the subscription price be reduced?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aduzar Light, Jul 21, 2021.

1. CassUV Well-Known Player

Sorry for the flood, the edit button desapeared.

About what Mepps said that “We do prices regionally(...)”, sorry man, here in Brazil you don’t do this. Here in Brazil, DCUO applies direct exchange rate. Just do the numbers and you see. The problem is, in US reality, it’s okay, it’s relax, I would pay without question, but when you see the Brazilian reality is other, making the direct exchange unfair...
  2. Dev72 Dedicated Player

no.

$16 (with tax) in the U.S. is fair to me, especially considering the changes they are making to memberships in the near future.
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

With the new Membership plan coming soon, you'll be able to play as a Premium with no need to subscribe. Full game, no cash cap. Solves the problem of membership being too expesive.
    • Like x 3
  4. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I was about to say the same thing.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough.... 80 BRL = $15 US... or maybe less! I haven't checked the Exchange Rate recently.

As Mepps himself mentioned in a thread last year on this topic, Brazilian players got an UNINTENDED discount on Membership of about 82% off for several YEARS because no adjustment was made to the Exchange Rate to account for the BRL losing value due to the actions of the Brazilian Government.

Also, and this is another thing I cannot stress enough... this is a game that was developed for NORTH AMERICA and EUROPE. The Servers to connect to DCUO in order to play it are located in the United States and somewhere in the European Union. But you'll notice there's NO South American Server. OFFICIALLY the game is not available in South America. YES there are players in Brazil, and possibly other South American countries, who connect to the US Servers in order to play. But they're doing so to play a game that is not officially available in South America.

IF the game's licensing agreements had been done in a way that made the game officially available in Brazil and other South American countries, maybe the price would have been adjusted into a local currency, maybe even as low as 15 BRL. But due to the unofficial nature of playing from Brazil, that doesn't seem likely to happen. I doubt Daybreak's license with DC Comics will ever be officially improved to cover Central and South America. The game's been around for 10 and a half years, if DC was going to extend the license like that, I believe it would have already happened.

But with the game changes launching in August, it's a moot point, as Premium players will do fine without spending any money! The next Game Update will improve things immensely for Brazilian players, so be thankful to the Devs for that! :)
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Saying the game is not available "OFFICIALLY" in Brazil is nonsense. It's on the official PlayStation Store for Brazil with everything for it priced in Brazilian Reals. I assume it's the same in the Brazilian Xbox store and the Brazilian Switch store. Just because it doesn't have a dedicated South American server does not mean that it's not "official" to download and play the game in Brazil. By that logic people in Australia shouldn't be supported because there is no AU/Oceania server. Same with Canadians - they're not part of the United States or Europe.

US and EU refer to the locations of the servers, nothing more.
    • Like x 5
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

All of this is incorrect and comes off very prejudiced. This game was developed for PC and PlayStation players regardless of which nation they happen to live in. Some players are barred from becoming members where PSN and digital currencies aren't supported in their region. Nothing to do with game development.

It's called North American and European servers because that's where the two server hubs are physically located.

DCUO is officially in the Brazilian PSN Store.

Console partners (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) control the price conversions. Not Daybreak and not DC Comics. What region the game is made available is also controlled by game developers console partners. Not Daybreak and not DC Comics.

Also incorrect. Brazilian F2P and Premium players will benefit from the next game update, paying subscribers will still be paying an inflated price.
    • Like x 2
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Also wanted to point out that the license between Daybreak and DC Comics that you keep referring to primarily involves the game's continued use of DC Comics' intellectual property. Not who, what or where the game is available for play.
    • Like x 2
  8. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I stand corrected. I was going by the fact that major licenses for content to be used in video games or other goods outside of the comics themselves often specifiy which countries or regions the licensee can distribute those products in. Again, just a "general rule" kind of thing that I go by until I'm informed otherwise.

It's not incorrect, as you just made the same point I was trying to make: The next Game Update benefits Brazilian F2P and Premium players, and most of them that are active on these forums fall into one of those 2 categories because they can't afford Membership! But now they'll get some of the best benefits of the current Membership plans FOR FREE, which is a big win for them!

And sinceriously, this issue pertaining to Brazil has been discussed TO DEATH over the last year. At this point, there's nothing for Brazilians to gain by continuing to beat the dead horse on these forums, as it seems that Daybreak Games has no control over the exchange rate situation at this point. Brazilians would possibly get better results complaining to Sony's Customer Service for the PlayStation Network, as they're apparently the ones that have more direct control over the currency conversion side of things.

But even Sony themselves may say there's very little they can do, as the problems that led to this situation still exist within the borders of Brazil itself. It's their current governmental regime that, through their actions, flushed Brazil's economy straight down the toilet, massively devaluing the Real in the process. Until Brazilians figure out how to get their current leadership out of power and replaced with people that will rebuild the country's economy, the root cause of this situation won't go away.
  9. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

PS players still get that 15000 + Free Red Obsidian Mat that was supposed to be over in 2018 yet its 2021 and they still have access and PC players get squat

:mad:
    • Like x 1
  10. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

They STILL haven't fixed that being offered again? Dafuq?!? o_O
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

This is a problem that can only be solved by the Brazilian government's changing laws and policies (and probably presidents). Sad, but true. Sorry about that.

You might need to devote less time to video games and more time to real life politics if you want to get significant change. My sympathies, truly. But gaming companies can't fix a country's screwed-up economic policies nor change international monetary exchange rates.
  12. Brit Loyal Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.
    In the past few years, the cost of the subscription has remained the same, but the benefits of the subscription have lost the following features:

- Access to Episodes. Now these are free for everyone, and the subscription no longer purchases access to these.
    - Mainframe Access. These are being made free for everyone, and the subscription no longer purchases access to this.
    - Currency Cap. This was previously one of the biggest reasons to subscribe. Now it's being given to all Premium players, so subscription does not provide this.
    - Ability to Mail Money. This was previously a Subscriber Only feature, but has been removed from the game, so subscription no longer grants it.

And in exchange for all these paid benefits that the subscribers no longer receive as a part of their subscription...

Nothing new was added as a Subscription Benefit.
    Price remained the same.

That means literally we are paying the same price to receive less for our money, and we have been getting progressively less for our money for a couple of years now.

I'm not arguing whether or not the subscription is a good deal. But it is undeniable that the subscription package had items removed from it, and nothing replaced them, nor did the price go down.

If McDonalds stopped including a Drink with their Value Meal, did not add something else in it's place, and kept the price the same, it wouldn't matter whether or not it was still a cheaper way of getting a burger and fries; the customers would still feel ripped off and angry.
    • Like x 7
  13. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Note that for most subscribers, the reason for subscription was "access to all episodes".
    • Like x 1
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I hit you with a warning for this post since it is so egregiously factually inaccurate, I can't imagine it was posted in good faith.

• Like x 2
  15. nawanda Loyal Player

I can’t see that offer on PS Store. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying I can’t see that deal.

As we are measuring PC/PS subscription offers, PS players never got offered the chance to buy a lifetime membership in 2018, PC players did. I know which platform got the best option there.
    • Like x 6
  16. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

It's there, everyone I know purchases it and get a free 100mil ingame cash when they sell the red obsidian. As for the lifetime paying $300 USD for lifetimes to daybreak games where you only care about DCUO AND THEN having to pay another $200 USD to actually get the red obsidian and diamond mat so you were actually spending $500 USD just to get DCUO rewards I don't exactly call that the deal of the century.

But feel free as PS user to tell me you would have paid more than your console you are playing on is worth just for lifetime and rewards to a game that was already 8 years into its development cycle.
  17. nawanda Loyal Player

Nope, I wouldn’t have bought it and said so at the time. You can check my post history. They had just made a load of people redundant, and all of a sudden were offering subscription options with huge upfront costs. That was a massive red flag at the time. Obviously, hindsight is 20:20, but the PC players who did buy it have got the best deal of all.

I was just making the point that PC players got offered a better deal in 2018, to balance your point about PC players getting a raw deal with this bundle that I can’t find on PSN.
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

In the PSN Store search for DCUO => Go to Add-Ons You should see it as the last MP Cash option after 10,000. I just saw it there now (as I type this).
    • Like x 1
  19. nawanda Loyal Player

Thank you.

I’ve followed these steps but it’s not there. I’m in the UK, on a PS5. Maybe it’s only available in the US. I suspected that was the case when OC said people sell those Red Obsidian Materials for 100m. Based on that price, the item must have less rarity than on EU. They sell for more than that on the EU server, where prices are lower across the board. I have two of those in my bank and I would expect to get maybe 300m for one, that’s probably close to 1b in the US server economy, which is larger and more inflated by historical cheating.
    • Like x 2
  20. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

I believe he did post in good faith, and respectfully posted his grievances.
    You may remember Brit from the old PC forums. I do.
    I've never seen him have an insulting word towards anyone.

It was your warning that wasn't very "welcoming of contrasting views".

For the record, your "rebuttal" didn't convince me to resub the first time you posted it.
    It also would've been nice if you had put up some kind of a time frame for when mailing cash would be reinstated or when we'll have the ability to trade cash in our shared bank, considering that it's reinstatement has been completely ignored.

I think you took issue with his statement "nothing new has been added" (as far as I can tell), which led you to point out the 4x benefits you receive at your daily login...but I'm still a little confused to what we're getting. I'll see when the changes are implemented.
    I don't foresee the added benefits getting me to resub.

Honestly, I hate coming to the forums to complain. I really do.
    I'd much rather give praise.
    The reason I didn't make any kind of a thread as to why I stopped subbing and why this game probably won't ever get any more money from me is out of respect for you, Mepps, and the people who still get enjoyment from the game. That, and the fact that any post I made expressing my grievances would fall on deaf ears anyway.
    My sub is just a drop in the bucket for those spending hundreds of dollars on slot machines too.

Furthermore, I don't blame any of the staff that would be reading this.
    This warning that you just gave aside...and I've said this privately but I'll state it publicly...overall I've always thought that you are great at your job.
    You're the only staff member that's been here longer than I have; you express yourself well and I don't think the company could have a better "face".
    If you expressed anything other than excitement for your slot machine boxes, you wouldn't be doing your job correctly.
    Doesn't make me like them any more, though.

Likewise, I think Charon has been doing great on the forums, and I'd also like to thank the art team and all the unsung heroes behind the scenes who we never meet.

His reasons for no longer subbing aren't even the same as my reasons for no longer subbing.
    Directly or indirectly...they're all related to Jack.

At this juncture, I'd also like to say this.
    Very little was mentioned of Spytle on the 10th anniversary.
    Now, I certainly didn't always agree with him...but I always liked him. He tried to make the game exciting.
    I'd look forward to his yearly goalposts. I'd look forward to Friday Night Legends.
    (Legends being a thing I used to enjoy playing in this game with my friends. PVP was never my focus, but it was the funnest other thing I enjoyed playing in-game. I no longer can. Well, I can...it just wouldn't be fun.)
    So wherever he is, I'd just like to thank the Milkman for delivering the milk.

I subbed for a yearly basis for 8 years (IIRC).
    I remember my passion and excitement for the game when I originally subbed.
    When my yearly sub rolled around, never once was I on the fence. Until Jack.
    Every year, since his arrival, I had been increasingly more "on the fence".
    At some point, I don't know exactly when, the game went from being fun to me to feeling like a job that you guys somehow convinced me to pay you for.
    When my sub rolled up last year, I realized I just didn't want to sub for another year. I don't regret the decision, and whether it was because I was unsubbed or my interest just simply waned, my time in-game in the last year has reflected that.
    It's going to be harder to get me back.

I'll pop in as premium here and there, but my passion is gone.

Soders on the marketplace.
    Marks on the marketplace.
    Nth metal on the marketplace.
    A quarterly stream of Time Capsules. With...36? collection pieces in each. With skill points. To gamble to maybe get what you want. Available on the marketplace.
    Seals.

That's Jack's legacy.
    If we're deemed worthy to be spoken to (I didn't see him address us during the 10th anniversary, but I saw him spinning for some news outlets), you would have to pull out your "Spin-to-English" dicitionary, seeing that that's the only language he's fluent in.
    As one of the very few people who got the reference to "As I Digress" in his blog...well, he's no Peter David.
    I think it's swell we read some of the same comics as kids and all, but I've seen very little of that reflected in the game (which is fine; focusing on the contemporary is probably the way to go and probably DC's preference too) and I honestly would have to struggle to think of something Jack added to the game that I actually liked.

I've never bought a stabilizer. I never will.
    I begrudgingly bought Seals. I never will again.

I think we've just grown apart. I'm probably not your target audience anymore and I'm finding other constructive things to do with my time.
    I will say this is still the only PC game I've ever played.

Again, I know there are people out there that love TC's and love Artifacts and I don't want to discourage anyone from playing and I'd like your lights to stay on and for you to have your jobs ad infinitum.

You're making some interesting changes that I look forward to checking out...but none of them address my grievances really. Other than stacking in your inventory which is great and I hope continues and goes retroactive as well.
    I think you'll have a better chance of keeping Brit as a subscriber with a carrot (a reasoned response without emotion) rather than a stick (the warning). If that matters to you at all.
    Myself, I'm waiting for the right carrot. I doubt it exists.
    • Like x 1