Theoretical Sorcery Update

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Apollonia, May 13, 2021.

1. JKR Well-Known Player

also 1) Arbiter of Destiny (SC). Pretty much unlimited power during the duration of supercharge, great for healers in high healing output situations.
  2. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Much less antagonistic reply, so, I'll address it.

This was addressed in the thread already.

These powers are unused by the community because they under perform and have no use past levelling. If you're using all of the "replaced" powers mentioned here you should find a better loadout.

If you feel the powersets don't need this love, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're in a minority and most of us want to see the existing powersets updated (in addition to new powersets and new iconics). So yes, the whole point is to replace and update the powersets for 2021. The objective is for them to be visually appealing, fun gameplay and still deliver an experience aligned with the source material/IP.

Sorcery received minor retooling years ago (year 2?) that changed about 6 of the powers so the point of this thread was to offer feedback/suggestions for what they're going to do -- because they're doing it anyhow.

For the record; there are 24 powers in a set. Here 8 powers are new. 7 powers were reworked and 11 powers had [only] VFX updates in this project.

3) Again, this was explained above already 2x. The functionality wasn't removed. Final Ruin and Vengeance are the exact same power except FR becomes a finisher if the target is under 35% health. The functionality was rolled into Vengeance instead.
    4) "knockback" is "smash" spelled differently.
    6) Again, this was explained in the notes. Soul Barrage is identical to Soul Bolt. So I revamped Soul Barrage into "Dj'inn's Breath" and kept the multi shot function. Instead of purple sparks it's now magical fireballs. Works like "aftershocks" by tapping multiple times to launch corresponding additional projectiles (magic fireballs). No functionality was lost; more was added, and new VFX.

In thinking about it now, Dj'inn's breath should instead be an aoe cone of magic fire with a sustained button press for longer duration of flames. Mystic Bolt ( renamed from Soul Bolt) would get the "aftershock" multi shot function instead.

7) I know. This was the one power I removed functionality and it's in my notes/replies above somewhere too. This functionality is removed because the original functionality is returned to pets where they heal their own power automatically. Playing battery to your pets isn't fun for someone who wants to heal, play sorcery in general, or doesn't want to micromanage in an action game. Without a need to charge your pets it's a redundant power so I replaced it with something fun, desirable and on theme.
    1) Again, I know. The functionality wasn't removed only the concept behind the power changed.

If you don't like the changes I suggested and want Sorcery to stay the same; you're entitled to that opinion and you've expressed it so it's time for you to move on. Thanks for your feedback and bumping the thread.
  3. JKR Well-Known Player

No one is antagonizing you just because I have different opinions and would never make a suggestions that limits other players.

This is based on a small sample size and you have no place to tell someone get a better loadout when you clearly have a limited perspective of the game as shown through many of your posts. I am part of the community that you say you care so much about and your dissmissive attitude is not appealing.

The point that your missing is the devs can decide if something needs to be removed. I have said nothing about you new power ideas regardless of my personal feelings about them. We need more additions to the game not subtractions.

There not the same power, try them and read.
    Two different functionalities. A smash is close proximity knockback while the Karmic Backlash effects and area including groups of enemies and can be used from distance.
    Incorrect again.

If you utilize the sorcery pets especially in the healer role then having the ability to keep them at their peak for is not a problem.

I speak and move as I see fit.
  4. Apollonia Dedicated Player

You've been answered in good faith. You have nothing constructive to offer the discussion. Good luck
  5. JKR Well-Known Player

You disregard the contructive help I've offered. As you have said, "if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" lol.
  6. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I understand you felt attacked in your thread, this thread has some good ideas for Sorcery, what would help more if you can work on your ideal of a Sorcery revamp and share it in this thread, so kinda visually share your disagreements etc. cause I am curious what ideas you have in mind since I did agree with your ideas on the other thread as well, we all want the same thing and that is progress for this game.
  7. JKR Well-Known Player

My constructive comments have been directed to several areas where I believe this suggestion has gone wrong.

1. No one should be limiting players options to create the character they want but I believe as a community we should work to get more. Suggesting to strike 8 powers from a powerset is not helping us get more.
    2. The Willow Wisps should be a no go and someone needed to state that. lol
    3. At least understand the mechanics of the powerset you want to change if you want to change it and understand that just because you don't like or use some power dosent mean everyone agrees with your assessment.

The previous thread you referred to was about the expansion of the iconic power class.
    The powers offered seem to fit neatly into that construct.
    It has been known that the potential for work on the iconic power class is coming along with updates to powerclasses.
    These suggested powers would probably work better if combined with the powers suggested in the necromancy post as a new powerset or gradually added to the iconic power class if the simple formula is followed: x power is attributed to x character creating a new iconic power.
    Graphical upgrades and slight enhancements to any power class and existing iconic power are welcome but not the total overhaul of any of the powersets.
  8. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Love the visual updates but have to say a few things just so players are clear on how sorcery really works best. Not for a prec build but a lot of the powers you listed as "throw aways" are really the only powers worth using.

Pet builds clearly work best for sorcery and anyone that wants to argue, I'll happily have a dps comp with to compare. I'm not going to trash talk. I would be doing it solely to help other sorcery users see what it can do. I have tried many different builds and have spent literal months with sparring targets and testing against some of the best I know in game and even go as far as running things I don't need to just keep testing in real world. Search my posts and feel free to read up on all my findings. Also, testing with pet builds is tough due to the pets getting power when they shouldn't so a bit if a disclaimer there.

Trans strat solar or grim meta does meh. You won't be tops but you'll hang around there if the group consists of above average dps's. If the group is op burn, you'll get buried at the bottom. Sorcery has some terrible choices that players love to use. CoP, that 5 ball attack (it is soooo terrible) the 3 ball attack (usually fires off into the ground for some reason) and even on healer side, using that bat form means your team is terrible. Like what situation are you in that you need to spam heals that much??? If it's for an EoG spam build, ok but otherwise wth is going on. Seriously lol.

But anyway, as far as dps goes, all you need is final ruin and vengeance for ST and use polymorph for your super. Those moves all lock on meaning you will always hit your target completely. Even interrupted for polymorph. Aoe, soul bolt rarely misses compared to the rest and the supercharge generator always hits. Baleful trans is decent but could use some work but it is an aoe super. The pet one needs a large redo. Like your idea there.

Like I said, I agree that some changes would be nice but ditching final ruin and vengeance would absolutely cripple sorcery amd turn it back into bottom tier dps choice. They look similar sure, but they are the backbone of sorcery ST. Especially with godwave and even la mort in play. It took me forever to find a 100% sorcery power use build but I can promise anyone that it straight claps and I love that I don't use a single iconic or superspeed move. But again, all for visual updates
  9. JKR Well-Known Player

I'd rather be prepared for any situation and get the win on the first run is the main reason.
    • Like x 1
  10. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I guess for some pug groups. But was just in fve doing that god awful bomb feat and solo healing for most of it. No troll and still had no reason to wish I had that in my loadout. It just doesn't work for me and I'll never consider it more than a bandaid on a bullet wound. Maybe if I didn't get dizzy or end up looping into some 1 shot using it. Just screws my rythem. But between having plenty of sp to put into power, gen mods, hybrid, and artis, it just seems like a wasted slot
    • Like x 1
  11. JKR Well-Known Player

Lol, I hear you on the dizzy and crazy looping part. That would be a great upgrade for sorcery, fix the weird flight mechanics attached to power use within that "bat" form.

For me, I tend to see supercharges as last resort measures anyway (or additional "finisher" in the case of some dps powers) and I tend to carry one in my loadout but the bat gives pretty much unlimited power so without a controller, it can come in handy especially considering the powercost of the priority heal with the orb of arion.
    • Like x 1
  12. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Lol if they made that 1 single change, I'd probably use it. It drives me nutsssss. I don't usually run a super if I'm solo healing but if its low tier/ strong group/ or 2 healers, I'll use bloom for eog spamming. I use orb, love it personally and hate trans, so I treat my priority like my super. The ghost is meh so I dont care if he's out so literally only touch priority when the tank takes a big hit. Orb has become even more useful since the health pools of tanks and trolls and even high sp dps's has become so large. I use trans on my water healer and it takes like 3 or 4 taps of the priority to be useful
  13. JKR Well-Known Player

see, constructive.

Fix th "bat" on arbitor of destiny's flight mechanics when using powers. In other words, stop all the uncontrollable movements from occuring when in "bat" form.

I have to say though, if you can get past the movement and try to mimic your normal loadout closely so that the transition to bat form is more fluid, the bat is great!!!
    • Like x 1
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Pet builds haven't been changed (aside from reverting them to self regen power). The appearance is the only real update to the pets. You could argue making them self regen is a functional change but it isn't conceptually; we just don't have to micromanage them anymore (again).

If the Dev team insists on forcing players to manually control their pet energy, any power at all could be used for it as a dual function. It's unnecessary to have a dedicated power for its recharge and it's not fun having to micromanage it. It's the same approach as how controller POT has been handled -- rolled into existing playstyle instead of having a dedicated power the player is forced to micromanage.

You identified the same powers I did that needed rework. So we agree.

First. Vengeance and Final Ruin are not ditched. JKR is saying that but he's mischaracterizing what I proposed in the OP. They are the same power so they were rolled into one because having both are redundant. Only 1 is needed.

To your other point though; you're pointing out they're both needed because the rest of the powerset doesn't work properly. That means the solution is to fix the other powers that aren't working properly. The solution is not to keep 2 duplicates of the same power around. Elusian also pointed this out and I said the same thing to them.

The goal of a proposal like this is not to rebalance or address bugs. You approach something like this and assume either there aren't any bugs or that they're fixed and then you look at the set as a whole. It's a conceptual refresh not a rebalance. Is it fun to play with? Is it compelling to see? Does it line up with the source material? Does it meet the expectations of DC Comics fans? Those are the questions this is focused on solving not "how much damage does X do" or "X power is bugged and doesn't target properly". -- They do as much or as little damage as you want because they're just hypothetical at this point and the Dev team would decide balance around their data.
  15. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

No disrespect to the Op, I just skimmed the thread.
    But,
    Powerset pet skins should be sold in the Marketplace. Identical actions, with different npcs characters. Make them character bound and include them on the style page.
    Also, I really like the way Sorcery looks now, other than the red soul aura.
    • Like x 1
  16. Kaminuse Active Player

Just make all colors blue, put a ring on it and change the name to Hope.
  17. Apollonia Dedicated Player

No disrespect perceived. I agree and addressed it here: