Theoretical Sorcery Update

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Apollonia, May 13, 2021.

1. Activison New Player

• Like x 1
  2. Lil_Yummy New Player

This looks awesome! Looks like these would fit perfectly in the game. You should make some for other powers if you’re this good i’d love to see your ideas.
    • Like x 1
  3. ping on eu Level 30

One word. Beautiful!
    • Like x 1
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

One word. Bump!
    • Like x 1
  5. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

The only problem is that the studio as we know it today, has no real motivation for the game, it will be just another subject that requires novelty, which will fall into oblivion, because certainly too complex for the devs...
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I'm sorry for replying to this so late. I've been super busy between quarantines where I am and work.

Thank you. I totally agree. I really had this versatility in mind when I planned it. The hope was to allow players who imagine their characters to be similar to these favourite iconics, to play more like them.

Thank you. YOu have some interesting ideas there. Some of them I would enjoy but others are less interesting. For example, I'd really like Sapphires, and Blues, and *maybe* Indigos ... but I think Orange, White, and Black as playable would be against the canon of the IP. That's more important to me than making them playable. An authentic DC Comics experience is very important to me as a player.

Thank you. I'd really like to, but this project took a surprisingly long time. Interestingly, most of the time was research of new powers and analysis of the existing powerset and powers that needed work. I think it's really important to have a solid understanding of the powerset before jumping into refresh it. The actual mockup time was probably only half the work.

I'd say the other launch powers; Nature, Mental, Ice, Fire and Gadgets need the most work. In that order.

Nature is just in need of so much love it's awful. The concepts in it are just totally abandoned and not connected to the IP; I'd take shapeshifting out completely and make that its own standalone powerset to start. And then coming back to Nature, I'd base it entirely on Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy. Mental is another one. It's just trying to do too much with the PIs and it's forced. The visuals are very dated and weak in concept too. The powers conceptually aren't stuff you think of when you're thinking of telepaths or telekinetics either. I'd want to see some mindwipes and mindcontrol and mindcontrol purges in there to start. Ice and Fire mostly just need a few more typical iconic character powers and would take less work. Gadgets kind of the same; it only needs a few more powers inspired by iconic characters. That robot has to go it's awful. Actually, I'd personally take Stealth, Invisibilty and pets out of them all and make them standalone iconic powers instead. Reasoning being that any player should be able to choose invisible power if they want to since it's not typically associated with a specific powerset. After that, I'd get into the newer powers light Electricity and Earth. They only really need VFX revamps for the most part... Earth could use some different abilities though.

I'd also like to see Movement powers revamped. I doubt we'll ever see that though.

Thank you :)

Thanks also ;)

I think this is a cynical take. Panderus has actually talked about refreshing the powers. I have no idea how soon or how high a priority that would be obv, but there's desire there at least.
    • Like x 2
  7. L T Devoted Player

I have to say I love your VFX. I'm not sure about a complete rework of Sorcery, but I do love your supercharge ideas-- and Sorcery's supercharges really do need help.

I've always wondered why Sorcery gets to summon basically Emerald Empress' Eye. Always thought that should be an iconic power.

Watcher, Guardian, Fury, and Arbiter of Destiny are in desperate need of a reskin IMO.
    • Like x 1
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Omg thank you for bringing this up. It's upset me since launch and my OP was already so long I didn't have a chance to get into so many of the other detailed things I considered like this... It's frustrating that sorcery gets the Emerald Eye of Ekron as a healing pet. It's so bad for the IP and really diminishes its relevance as a very powerful item in DC lore. Obv we can say well they aren't the real eye, but it could easily be the eye and it comes off as it. Plus since we have all these other Eyes floating around in the game now too, it's gotten pretty silly so, this was another reason I wanted to get the Sorcery pets away from being the Eye. But yes, you make a great point; if they do want to give us an Emerald Eye, they should just put it in Iconic powers and uncouple it from a specific powerset and call it a day.
    • Like x 1
  9. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I'm sorry I had to...
    • Like x 1
  10. JKR Well-Known Player

• It’s a generic fantasy magic power not based on iconic DC characters’ abilities, despite having lots of iconic options to draw inspiration from.
    Plan:
    • Choose iconic characters to draw inspiration from.
    • Update key powers to better fit the source material thematically.
    • Update VFX to support iconic and thematic changes mentioned above.
    • Include types of abilities players and fans of the genre expect from a DC Comics “magical” power.
    Solutions:
    • Iconic Inspirations -> Constantine, Zatanna, Circe, Dr Fate, Tala, Felix Faust, Mordru

Well, where to start. How about "your late to the party?"
    - A conversation wa s already posted about drawing inspiration from iconics and adding powers to the iconic classes that could support already existing powersets (see New Power Requests, Easy Fix).
    - All you've done is flesh out one subset of the larger plan.
    - Sorcery is one of the original powers and you are basically asking them to make a new power set (not a revamp) when they already said they were not going to make any new powers and this request appears to be at least the same about of work.
    - All of those "new powers" you've created could fit neatly in the iconic power class and leave the powers, which are very useful, like the finisher alone.
  11. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I've been playing since closed beta and making feature requests and suggestion threads since before the game's launch; so, I *started* the party. Take off your coat and stay a while. ;)

Correct. If you read the OP you'll note that I quoted one of the game's Sr. Producers from a conversation about new powersets that took place before you joined the forums. In the conversation they acknowledged redundant powers in all of the existing powersets we have, and they continue on to explain they'd be open to revamping them into something more desirable. So, that's what I proposed here.

These suggested replacement/updated powers would not be appropriate for Iconic powers because they're not unique and specific to any iconic character -- they're not "iconic". The powers shown were selected because they were widely possible by any magic user in DC lore rather than specific to a character. I only drew inspiration from specific characters.

I've already created a thread (again, before you joined the forums) outlining powers I'd like to see added to iconic powers. When you researched me and my past posts, I'm surprised you didn't find it.

I guess you're not aware, but the CEO of the company committed to new powersets in interviews with media during the anniversary after New Years. This contradicts talking points several DI staff have been repeating over the last couple years, and obviously things can change or it may never happen, but it's strictly factually incorrect to go around telling people the Devs said they aren't making new powersets when the guy in charge says they are.

Thanks for your feedback JKR. It's been noted and given the consideration it deserves.
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You mean this interview?

Which sparked this thread. (That you were present for.)
    Which sparked this response from Mepps:
    Later in that same thread you replied (to Khalon):
    I'm not trying to say that new powersets are not coming in the future but we have two different people that are saying two different things for two different reasons. If what Jackster said in that interview, "I can guarantee it. We're going to work on new powers." was more than just empty hype there would have been no need for Mepps immediate response. He could have just left it alone and let us play the waiting game. In my opinion it was simple damage control. There's no actual reason to believe that new powersets are happening just because the CEO said so in a interview. If you really want to believe that it's coming in 2022 good for you. For a lot of us seeing is believing and they haven't shown much towards new powersets other than just talk. They've already shown some upcoming stuff for the first quarter of 2022, new powersets were not on the list. Maybe we'll hear something for second, third or fourth quarter but I seriously doubt it.
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Yes. That's the one.

I acknowledged all of the potential possibilities in my reply to JKR (which you quoted). Jack's answer on the issue (no offence to Mepps of course) outranks Mepps' answer. Technically Mepps' answer is still correct that there aren't current plans on the board. Jack's answer to the media was a commitment in the future. There can be both no current specific plans ongoing, and they can still generally plan to do more powers later. They're not mutually exclusive.

You're welcome to cynically believe as you choose (and may turn out to be correct in a year or 2) but yes, when the guy in charge says that's how it is, that's how it is. It is definitive.
  14. JKR Well-Known Player

This quote from TheLorax proves my point.

Working on iconics when I just had a post dealing with this that Apollonia was very hostile about but yet effectively did the same thing "enlight of new information."
    - Most of these new powers you've created were inspired by iconic characters as you have said yourself.
    - Eventually, they may revamp a powerset but not a total overhaul where they trash half of the powers including useful ones.
    - Based on the quote, iconics are on the way.
    - Look at the suggestions you've offered as potential new iconic powers (like a subset of socercy) and they may have a better chance of coming to light.

lol
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Did you have any actual feedback on these suggestions? It appears as though you're only posting to start an argument.

Nothing to apologize for. Thanks for the bump :)
    • Like x 1
  16. JKR Well-Known Player

Now why would I do that?
    The point is you want to exchange the finisher for freezy breath?
    Instead of just adding more powers to the pool of powers, you want to take away powers that others use?
    Also, you want to replace the support pets with colored willow o'wisps from the spring event?

As a member of the community, I say no thank you.
  17. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Not sure what thread you're reading, but no, none of that is suggested.

Again, thanks for your "feedback" and it's been given the consideration it deserves. Cheers
  18. JKR Well-Known Player

Under
    you have:
    Under
    you have:

You want to get rid of powers that people use :
    These are different colored versions of the willow o'wisp from the spring event

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    .[/quote]

These are exactly the things your suggesting.
  19. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Tell me you haven't read the thread without telling me you haven't read the thread...

Expanding on the replies I previously gave; In my research I specifically approached friends/leaguemates who play the power more than me, and also checked various community resources like Obsidian Chill's channel (and others) to determine what powers people were and were not using in their [meta] loadouts. Interestingly the powers no one was using were also the powers I identified for revamps or replacements. While there might be 1 person using X power out there, it's not a good power so they wouldn't miss it becoming cooler and more interesting.

Yes. I took the silhouette from the icon and drew it into a full character for this.

I forgot to list the Wisps in the "credits" but specifically noted it in my notes and its origin is clear in my replies about them.

I suggest re-reading the OP more carefully and it'd probably be helpful to read the rest of the thread too before wading into a discussion and misunderstanding and even mischaracterizing what is suggested.

While you re-read the thread; take note of the fact that I answered every reply whether it was criticism or praise. And notice that I addressed the concerns of detractors without resorting to vitriolic personal attacks against them. Keep that in mind when handling criticism of your own work in the future.

I won't be replying to you anymore. Best of luck.
  20. JKR Well-Known Player

No need to reply, you continue to miss the point and assume:

There is no need to suggest removal of half of the sorcery powers just because you want new ones.
    The willow O'wisps dont do anything and would make terrible replacements for what we currently have even just graphically.
    Your small sample size and use of youtube does not account for the whole community. I use 4 of the 8 powers you suggested to remove:
    3) Final Ruin beam. A finisher that is not redundant
    4) Karmic Backlash. AoE knockback. Small CoP circle is more of a smash power than a small area knockback
    6) Soul Barrage. barrage of soul projectiles at your enemies.
    7) Offering. Restores Power over time to your pets.