Superman's 80th Emblem ALTERNATIVE !

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ElBart, Jun 20, 2021.

1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

This is a public forum. If you want to send the devs private messages, do so.

Otherwise your public remarks are subject to public discussion. Public discussion is why these forums exist. You don't get to dictate how other people respond or who responds.
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Agreed, there is no fairness in life OR a video game....ya pays your money ya take your chances.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to think they could drop the feat except where the account has it registered already. Season 1 SM feats no longer show if you missed them, nor does the 'back from the hack' feat, though it did at some point. Now...SHOULD it kill someone that it's there? No, but likewise is it that hard to pull it once the possibility of getting it was gone forever? No I'd guess not.

BTW...I have the feat on multiple accounts, so no, this is not anything that would benefit me and the lack of it on my farmer toons who DO NOT have the feat is not a bother either. Just pointing out 'exclusive' or limited time feats should go the way of the dodo once that period has passed or shortly after. What purpose does it serve having them in the 'open' list? And no...I'm not down with just giving out the feat points...in case you were wondering.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Talk to DC. They're the ones you need to convince.
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They already know. DC is the part of the equation you have to convince, and as the license holder if they say "no" there isn't much that anyone on the dev team can do.
    • Like x 2
  5. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not if they want to keep the use of the license. There is no separation of copyright and license here, they are one in the same.

This is something so many people don't seem to understand, DI can not do anything that DC Comics does not approve. There is absolutely nothing in DCUO that someone at DC has not looked at and give approval to.

Whatever you may think of the people at DI/DGC, they are not going to be stupid and take a chance at getting the license pulled, making the game shutdown, just because some players want a dumb emblem.
    • Like x 3
  6. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Il suffit de rendre l'emblème disponible à chaque anniversaire de Superman et c'est tout, je trouve que c'est manquer de respect à la communauté de rendre un tel truc aussi illimité, flash et batman on les a, tout le temps, mais les autres on ne les a pas, soit on est sur un jeu DC Universe, soit on n'y ait pas...

Avoid talking about any protection, because when we see comics in Fortnite, there is more respect for protection!
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's DC's call to make, though. They get to decide how and where the emblem is used, it doesn't have to make a lick of sense to us and they don't have to explain why if they don't want to.

Their toys, their rules.
    • Like x 5
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Again this is an issue for DC Comics not DI. DC said the Superman emblem was to be limited and that's that. True DI made the mistake of adding a feet to getting the emblem but that's a different issue.

Other than DCUO and Fortnite being vastly different game types, they are also very different realities, making comparisons of what's in what even less valid.

In DCUO we are apart of that Universe, living within it's reality as Heroes and Villains fighting for a greater or villainous goal. So we can't just freely have iconic things, since they already belong to someone else.

Fortnite however is more like our world where DC Comics is a product and we can just go to a store or go online and buy Superman's costume or any number of DC merchandise. Players are also not limited to one franchise, as they can have Marvel things too.
    • Like x 2
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't speak for Ankh_Legacy, but for me it's more a matter of being tired of answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over again from people who don't seem to have an idea of the situation.

This is not a game like EverQuest where the devs have free reign to do as they please because it's their own intellectual property. They licensed the game from Warner Brothers/DC, which means WB/DC has a large amount of say in what takes place. Just about everything the devs put into the game has to be cleared with WB/DC beforehand. As for an example of how far and detail-oriented DC can be, they made sure a chest piece based on the Blue Lantern Brother Warth had a minor correction made before it was allowed into the game for player use.

Go to 59:24 for all that.

If DC is going to be that nitpicky about an aspect of a minor Blue Lantern character, you can bet that anything for the major characters (especially the big three of the DC universe) is going to get even more scrutiny. So a dev-altered version of the Superman emblem would not pass without DC's approval, nor would use of any of the emblems on that graphic you included.
    • Like x 1
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It's trademark law, not copyright, for the record. Word, titles, names, etc., can't be individually copyright. That's why trademark law exists.
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Which law school did you study at, or law firm did you apprentice at?
    • Like x 1
  12. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Any work fixed in print, be it art, words, or design, is copyright the moment it is "fixed in print."

Individual words and symbols and designs, however, cannot be copyright and instead are trademarked.

In this case, when you present an image made up of designs of other people, you are making use of their copyrighted or trademarked work. If you draw your own, it would be up to a court to decide if you're infringing, but the general notion is that anything that might lead to confusion is apt to be forbidden unless you contract for said usage(s).

So the only original symbols you can use for Superman are symbols that will be clearly not-confusable with symbols/designs trademarked by DC.

FWIW.

Best of luck with that. I hope you have a good lawyer and deep pockets if you want to test limits.
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Like how they did for the Batman Day and Flash Appreciation Day t-shirts?
  14. Magician Dedicated Player

I like to use the Scuba top with my Superman emblem, seems to work well that way
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Could they with DC's permission? Yes.
    • Like x 1
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You mean like this?
    [IMG]
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Put it in the style request thread!!!
    • Like x 1
  18. JKR Well-Known Player

I'd also settle for the Supergirl version from the meta research facility mission if it makes a difference that its "girl" rather than man in negotiating a Super emblem.
  19. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Okay, back to the important news... read below...

Now you know... AND KNOWING'S HALF THE BATTLE! ;)
  20. JKR Well-Known Player

Knowing is not the issue, people take breaks is the issue. The Superman logo is pretty central to DC. So, most probably know about the legal stuff by now and all the reasons for why it won't happen but considering members have paid alot of members through the years (most dedicated players would probably be embarssed to admit how much real money they've spent on the game), continued requests for a Superman emblem in whatever form seem relevant.