Materials For All Toons

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Random Mind, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Random Mind Dedicated Player

I am one of those people that has lots of alts and I was wondering, will we ever be able to unlock materials with replay badges? I probably wouldn't be asking this if there was more materials on in marketplace, but unfortunately the devs love their time capsules and booster bundles.
    • Like x 11
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I too would love to be able to unlock Materials for Alts using Replays.

Last we heard it was not really possible.....

but as Ian Malcolm once said....

Life finds a way.

Hopefully.... someday..... maybe the Devs will too. ;)
    • Like x 8
  3. Random Mind Dedicated Player

I figure, you can claim materials on multiple toons when you purchase the material on the marketplace or if it is a gift via the charity livestream, so there must be a system to grant material to multiple toons in place. Adding a replay badge system to materials, shouldn't be too difficult, since you can use replays to unlock pretty much everything else in the game.

Actually in addition to materials, I wish we could unlock seasonal styles with replay badges too.
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If it was relatively easy I think they would have done the "unlocking Materials" bit in short order, especially since it'd be likely to help drive Replay Badge sales. But that hasn't happened and we also have the slight hassle of Materials not being able to be previewed on a vendor. As much as we may wish otherwise, I think those point to Materials being enough of a unique item in the game that the difficulty in those kinds of changes (unlockable, able to preview) is significantly high.

The seasonal stuff is more of a "drive the player to play" kind of thing, I think. They've been doing price reductions on older seasonal style pieces AND making the seasonal content runs themselves less of a chore, so getting any older/missed seasonal items is easier to do now. Plus they're even selling event currency while the seasonal is active. Those moves reduce the need to be able to unlock styles via badges and the lock helps to push players to play the content while it's active. Plus the devs want players playing the game, and it's an easy way of accomplishing that goal.
    • Like x 2
  5. Random Mind Dedicated Player

In my opinion, Time Capsules, aka Loot Boxes, shouldn't be in this game to begin with. To profit from gambling and to encourage addiction is wrong, not matter how you want to spin it. I already support this game by being a member and purchasing items from the Market Place, but I will never buy stabilizers or Booster Bundles. If all the items from Time Capsules and Booster Bundles were put on the Market Place, I'm sure Daybreak could still make a healthy profit.
    • Like x 8
  6. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

They should tie it into feat, like solar amp etc. buy feat, get material. Make the feat unlocked version acc bound so ppl cant flood the economy, & the legitimate collection reward tradable
    • Like x 3
  7. Eve YouTuber

I think the Shimmer material is unlocked by opening 15 Caps feat? Atlantean Capsule I think? I wonder if they can use the same system for this and as Psycho said, make it account bound.

Also, please Don't!! advocate for gambling, seriously. Some people have Gambling addictions and get themselves into trouble with money because of that. And to be exact, I am one of those people. So reading these comments really pisses me off. I support the Devs on everything and the game, but my experience with this thing was awful personally and seeing people saying we should support gambling is just horrible.

I don't expect it to change, and I much rather get my stuff from broker as I always do and with free stabs, but I stopped chasing items altogether.

Either way back on topic, I think if they do it by feat unlocking like with Shimmer Material is might work. However I don't see them doing it as the alternative right now is the second chance vendor (Which we need a better way of getting quarks, by the way.)
    • Like x 4
  8. Random Mind Dedicated Player

Just because it is in other games, doesn't mean it's okay. Loot Boxes are a plague that should be wiped out from the gaming world with the same vigor as the world is trying to wipe out COVID. Daybreak unfortunately is hooked on their Time Capsule/ Booster Bundle profits and will not let it go I'm sure, which is sad.

There are other ways to make profits in MMOs without the use of Loot Boxes and in my opinion Loot Boxes are a lazy way to make profits. Loot Boxes basically say that this company values money over their consumers. I'm not against a company making money, but I would much rather have a robust Market Place than a simple cash grab like Loot Boxes.

I still support this game because I love my characters and the DCUO community (also there isn't a lot of superhero MMOs) but I will never support gambling in video games.
    • Like x 12
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

to address the OP directly for a moment though -

I know we've been told "system limitations" but I can't imagine it would be impossible to associate materials in a manner similar to other styles: simply, it's just textures and code, those are all stored in the system files we have onboard anyway - it doesn't pause to download your cosmic chroma when you activate it, there's no install requirements for a Scorching Aura either, so it follows that the real limitation is probably just something like "file location" and "address infrastructure", which are all a matter of moving some stuff, and adding some stuff to the front end to account for the purchasability using the Replay Badge method. Which might be "time intensive" but should NOT be "impossible" to do.

Also, not for nothing, but if I spent either .5-1B (or more) in Game Cash or 5 to 10 dollars of Holy Crap Actual Money to obtain an item for my character, it follows that all other characters on my account that could have access to that item SHOULD have access to it for a Replay Badge purchase point FAR below the "350+" line that some of the items fall into now, categorically speaking. 35 I can see; if it was rare or difficult to obtain in the first place, then I can see spending more than 4 Replays for it, but 350 seems a little excessive.

350 seems like "forcing a deliberate medium purchase to obtain an item I already have", which seems like greedy business to me.

I'm actually a big fan of the Feat Unlock suggestion - you unlock the Feat associated WITH a Style? You get that Style, or rather, access to unlock that Style in the Style menu. That seems like it would simplify a Lot.
    • Like x 3
  10. Random Mind Dedicated Player

I will start off with saying, I apologize for saying Daybreak exploits it's customers, that may have been too strong of a word. I enjoy watching DCUO livestreams and totally support their charity livestreams, but Time Capsules prey on the weak and I'm not a fan of that.

When it comes to bonus weeks, I will say that I do enjoy them, but would they be necessary if we got stabilizers rather than stabilizer fragments, the cost of advancing an artifact was reduced or the price of items in vendors was discounted. It comes down to bonus weeks being another mechanic to get people to play.

As for time capsule feats, if you are going for just feats rather than styles, sure you could just buy emblems, though that can be pricey for us non-rich folks. However, Time Capsules don't hook you with emblems, it's styles that are the moneymaker.

As for the idea that making items more readily available would make them less special, all I can say is.... so what? Making a person feeling special is exactly what Time Capsules exploits (sorry, there is that word again) and leads to the "I'll just open one more" thought process. If the Nebula Chroma was available to everyone, would you not want to wear it, because I know I would, because I was a fan of the Astral Armor set. At least people who did want it would have an easier time getting it.

As for your argument that Daybreak could monetize the game even more, how can you say that with a straight face? That is not a line of thinking that I believe should be endorsed by anyone. "Thank god Daybreak is only using Time Capsules and not beating me with a belt every time I log on." (#sarcasm)

I have a feeling we could go round and round with this time capsule conversation. You seem to be pro-Time Capsule and I am obviously Anti-Time Capsule and it doesn't seem like I'll be able to change your mind and you won't change mine. I know Time Capsules and Booster Bundles are here to stay, I guess the best I can hope for is an improved Marketplace, which let's be honest, is pretty stale.
    • Like x 1
  11. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Lol check the price to unlock the nabu accessory, over 700 last time i checked. The most outrageous thing ive seen
    • Like x 1
  12. Random Mind Dedicated Player

350 replay badges is definitely excessive. I think you are correct, 35 to maybe 50 replay badges should be the standard for rarer items, but..... money.
    • Like x 1
  13. Random Mind Dedicated Player

For all those replying to this thread, I appreciate your feedback.

I started this thread to promote discussion on different ways to get materials for alts. However, it seems to have descended into name calling and insults and I don't want this thread to get closed because people can't be respectful to each other. It is probably my fault for bringing up my feelings on loot boxes, but I think even that subject can be discussed civilly.

Differences of opinions exist and can be debated but please leave the negativity at the door.

Thank you.
    • Like x 4
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Shouldn't be...but unfortunately it is.
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

[IMG]

Funny thing is, people complain all day about those items that are available in the marketplace. And when it comes to the cosmetics, they complain all day about the prices. Meanwhile the gamble boxes sell. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 3
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The fact that too many people balk at their asking prices and spend more time complaining about it instead of saving their pennies to buy from the marketplace. People would rather take a chance with Time Capsules or Booster Bundles rather than spend what they're asking for (which has ZERO gambling risks).
    • Like x 1
  17. nawanda Loyal Player

I’m afraid this is on the list of quality of life improvements that would be universally welcomed but hasn’t been implemented, it has been requested repeatedly the first introduction of style unlocking. 3-4 years ago now? A very long time. I can see why it would take a lot of work for the development team, as clearly the game treats materials very differently to how it treats auras and style items in the UI. Hard to gauge whether it would justify the work without knowing what it involved, but it would generate revenue.
    • Like x 1
  18. Random Mind Dedicated Player

When I suggested putting all the items from the Booster Bundle onto the Marketplace, I guess I should have been more specific, what I meant was the items from the Booster Reward Box. The other items are really the filler, the The Booster Reward Box is the Booster Bundle.

As for the complaints about the Marketplace, if it is about prices, wait for sales, that is what I do (although I wish armories would go on sale more often). My only real issue with the marketplace is that it needs to add more items on a regular basis instead of adding one or two items a year.

Also, the reason the gamble boxes sell is because the best stuff is in those gamble boxes. People I think would rather have a red cosmic aura than just the regular red aura. As much people like The Multiverse say to buy the Booster Bundles for the filler and not the Reward Box, people want the styles not the extras. If Daybreak added the Nebula Chroma to the Marketplace, I'm sure it would sell just fine.
  19. Random Mind Dedicated Player

I do fall into that trap occasionally, if I think it is easy..... it should be. I am not a video game developer, so what is easy and what is not is not something I can answer accurately. I just see similar systems in a game and think it shouldn't take too much work to replicate that system with materials. Again, being a normy slants this perspective.

However, I feel that if being able to grant materials to alts would make them a significant profit, the system would be a lot higher of a priority.
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Except you'd have people moaning and groaning that the price is too high. I always fall back to my favorite example because it was up until its release, one of the most highly requested cosmetic item....the Batman Cowl. It was originally released after years of requests at $20. The box contained two versions (a Cowl which reached to the neck and helmet, which only covered the head) along with the Female variant (Every styles has to be made for each body type [3] along with the other gender/sex [Female]). Even when it was on sale for half off people STILL cried about the price being too high. Mind you, this was a HIGHLY requested item, where people claimed they would pay whatever to get it....and it was an item that could be claimed on ALL your toons with ZERO RNG, in perpetuity (meaning any newly created toons could still redeem that cowl/helmet). Wasn't good enough for too many.

You feel that these items would sell well direct on the marketplace, but past history has shown them otherwise. And when you consider the fact that you have individuals dropping $500 on Booster Bundles when these cosmetics have no feats attached, but would balk at an item sold directly for $15-20 dollars...why wouldn't the company chase after the customers who throw money at them?
    • Like x 4