Box, Door, Boasted, Evacuating, Table, Paper Plate, Handled

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrSuperman, Jul 5, 2021.

1. MrSuperman Dedicated Player

Past Tense, Future Tense, Present Tense, what more imagination do we need? Soon we will be using different languages to name our toons.

Devs,
    Please. It’s Time.

Name Reclaim.

This is just my opinion. Good Grief. Naming our toons is an important part of DCUO! And I refuse to make new toons that I have name after a lawn… or a vacuum cleaner. Come in Guys, consider it please.

Find a way for the same 8 players that stash 212 names to be limited. Please find a compromise. And before you throw the book at me, those 8 players are not using those 212 toons. Can’t convince me.
    • Like x 3
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That doesn't matter. They picked those names before you did and they can use them however they wish.
    • Like x 10
  3. MrSuperman Dedicated Player

It does matter. It impacts the game and the moral of new players trying not NOT be called a random word in game. The only reason you can rely on that same “they picked the name first line” is because the devs have allowed it. If the devs were to finally realize name Hoarding is a plague, and did something about it. That line wouldn’t work anymore.

You can go ahead and have the last reply to our conversation, I’m moving on and hopefully something can be put in motion.
    • Like x 1
  4. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Doesnt change the fact.
    Bottom line is, if someone has a name an their acct is active then its their name and too bad for you.
    • Like x 4
  5. Whodini Well-Known Player

Just set and announce a date 2 months in advance...if someone has logged in with a character anywhere within that 2 months, they keep the name.

Sounds fair to me. Pretty similar to what happened last time I believe.
  6. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

You do realize name hoarding is not the same as dead names right? Name hoarders are people, some well known in the DCuo community, others still have a "new player" handle on their account avatar. Even if the devs released all dead names, the hoarders would still have theirs. And might even snatch up a few dozen or hundred other names in the process.
    • Like x 2
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They could go ahead with that and you still wouldn't get whoever's name you're after.
    • Like x 3
  8. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Actually that already happens, in fact, it's pretty normal, because a lot of us speak different languages.

Also, selling OG names: Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV.
    • Like x 3
  9. Caroline Dedicated Player

Mepps confirmed it's happening, we just don't know when. And lol, I'm lovin' the title. :D
    • Like x 1
  10. Hraesvelg Always Right

I also thought the headline was going to be in reference to the MoCA and a certain someone.
    • Like x 1
  11. MrSuperman Dedicated Player

Just Brainstorming here:

Maybe the Devs could hand out 2 Name Claim Tokens to each active account. So that once you claim two names you are done reclaiming for a certain amount of time?

I read most of the comments about me wanting someone’s name etc etc etc… I get it. They claimed it. But are they using it? No. Do they care enough to use it? Who knows.

I just know that some names have not been active for an excessive amount of time. And active and new players would like to be called something other than a noun, or a verb. “CanOfSoup” shouldn’t have to be our only option to name our toon.
  12. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

WTB names "Yawn" and "Broken Record".
    • Like x 6
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So they will just have to make 106 accounts to get those 212 names.....just brainstorming.

BTW....Don't blacklist ;)
    http://zonexus.ca/?name=canofsoup&world=2
    • Like x 2
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I always chuckle when I see those kinds of names and picture the process someone used that resulted being named a bland random word that has no semblance of any meaningful connection to anything in the world of superheroes never mind the character or the player themselves. Like, do they look around the room and type in what everything they see is called one by one? Do they open a dictionary, close their eyes and flip to a random page, put their finger on a random location on the page, then open their eyes and type it in to see followed by any applicable tense or conjugation? And how many names were tried and rejected before landing on that crappy name?

And then you gotta love the ones that are "like" an actual word, but aren't. As in, the root word is a word, the rules for one of the types of conjugations were correctly followed, but....that isn't an actual word bro.
    • Like x 2
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The character may be inactive but that doesn't mean the account is inactive.
    • Like x 3
  16. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Mepps has already confirmed there will be some kind of name reclaim coming. It'll probably be sometime this year or early next year. Just ignore anyone trolling you about this. They know it needs to happen. You're not alone.
    • Like x 2
  17. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Selling names is only profitable because the Devs have inadvertently created scarcity through their continued inaction.
    However, I have faith that one of them will eventually crack open a remedial economics textbook at some point in the future.
    • Like x 1
  18. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

There's been quite a few name I would have chosen, and all are owned by toons less than cr level 10. I looked them up. Their intent may not have been to hold onto those names, but I'd rather see something that keeps names refreshing for new/active players. Something like, any toon that does not enter the game for 90 days loses their name, gets issued a system name (player12456) and a name change token if they ever get back on that toon. Perhaps this system excludes members.
    • Like x 2
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So what'd you do with the 700? :p
    • Like x 6
  20. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

So what was the point in you overlooking if they still got scammed? Usually the 3rd party is supposed to be the person who is transfered everything first and makes the trade so a scam doesn't happen. Some people charge a fee, some just do it because they don't like scammers, or both. Being a DCUO escrow manager can be pretty damn lucrative as well
    • Like x 3