Imagine the day DCUO looked and felt like Fortnite!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GothamKnight38, Jun 15, 2021.

1. GothamKnight38 Active Player

Could you imagine our characters and world looked as polished as Fortnite :(

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  2. GothamKnight38 Active Player

Of course we know different games and different mechanics.
    I'm in no way saying we should be the same just that it would be amazing to have our toons and world look as polished.
    • Like x 1
  3. Siramez Well-Known Player

DCUO runs on Unreal Engine 3, came out in 2011

Fortnite runs on Unreal Engine 4, came out in 2017

Also, both are completely different games, and each are unique to their own.
    • Like x 6
  4. Eve YouTuber

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  5. Eve YouTuber

Also in my opinion the most we need right now is new different skins since new body types aren't happening (Too much work for the Dev team as far as I know). We all pretty much have the same faces so It's not feeling unique. But I wouldn't say the character models look bad. I feel like people complain about DCUO's graphics because It's not as realistic as they want it to be. It doesn't need to be realistic.
    It's based on Comic Book characters and I think the Graphics fits just fine.
    • Like x 5
  6. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

I absolutely hate the look of fortnite.
    • Like x 12
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Never really gotten into Fortnite so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that game use full skins for character appearances? If so, then it's an "apples and oranges" comparison because we add stuff on top of our character skins to get the looks we want. And with a situation like that, some polish is going to be lost because of clipping at the very least, not to mention older styles having a dated look when compared to new ones.

As for world details, you might be surprised. Head out into an open world area and check out some of the environment. You can find stuff like this.

[IMG]

Roads actually look like they've been used and repaired.

Not to mention details on character items, even older ones like the soles of the Scion of Ion boots.

[IMG]

Is it all sparkly new and shiny and perfect? No, it's a ten year old game, after all. LOL But it's really easy to miss how much detail there actually is when zooming around from point A to point B.
    • Like x 5
  8. GothamKnight38 Active Player

Ok let me rephrase!
    Imagine being able to make your Toon look this polished :)
  9. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Could you clarify what you mean by "polished"? I honestly don't see anything remarkable in the picture ... very mediocre ... but that's just my opinion ...
    • Like x 1
  10. Kuno Loyal Player

To be fair the OP has a point. We know Fortnite is newer and more global and has way bigger budget.

On the other hand, its kinda dissapointing that Superman from the mmo DC official game looks like this:

[IMG]

And Superman in Fornite for a colaboration looks like this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

If you dont see this... well, better for you but when I saw this Fornite Superman it felt like a stab as a DCUO player.
    I really appreciate the NPC refreshes but not all are on point, specially Superman and Wonder Woman faces are... bad.
    • Like x 7
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

My characters are perfectly polished at all times.

If anything I've loosened the belt a little on maintaining my characters "iconic" looks at all times simply because there are so many styles to combine with materials and chromas that I love discovering what works and what doesn't.

I'd want a few style sets devoted to some more generic looking slimlines and emblems so we could customize our own original characters.

I have nothing against copycat characters. I encourage it. Love it.

But if you want a polished character its up to you to develop some style.
    • Like x 1
  12. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Is that superman thing a joke? Look at the fiber texture on the DC version, then the crap shined cartoon version from fortnite...I do not see the appeal. Not to mention fortnite superman is making a selfie face and his curl is about to blind him. Why does he have random 'detail' lines? Or a very oddly tall pelvis?

Hell to the nah.

Fortnite graphics have always been some of the worst around.
    • Like x 2
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Which DC approved, otherwise it probably wouldn't have made it into the game.
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Never really played Fortnite (like for 2 hours maybe). So, you can pretty much customize your character skin from literally millions of combinations of gear, actual skin, body types, colors, auras, accessories....and the 3 shown above are just 3 of those millions of combinations? I mean you can clearly see that above...one model has a hat....one has a coat and one has neither. That's pretty cool, I should check it out.
  15. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Yup.

Having played the new Ratchet and Clank game on the PS5 recently you really notice how behind DCUO is performance/graphics wise from current technology.

Imagine having instances like Atlantis every episode (with the level of detail and size that went into that open world), but with the hit of a button you could be in a different location (with similar layout) without the need for load screens and virtually no rendering.

That said, as long as there isn't another better superhero MMO with the level of customisation and combat mechanics that DCUO has, DCUO will continue to survive.
  16. Apollonia Dedicated Player

The character art in this game is far superior to Fortnite, although its more animated style may be more or less appealing depending on who you ask. Mileage will vary.

However, even though it's simplified and also in an animated style, environment art in Fortnite is vastly superior in every measurable way to DCUO's and it's specifically due to the limitations of Unreal3 engine holding DCUO back. The environment art team in this game is top notch and able to do amazing things but they're very much crippled by the antiquated graphics engine. With Unreal5 going mainstream this year, it'll be harder to justify sticking with DCUO's dated graphics capabilities.
    • Like x 1
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

We did get the Slimline styles from the 31st Century (which seems to be forgotten by so many), plus the current Sixth Dimension Kryptonian Suit which thankfully did not come with a baked in emblem which provides yet another cool Slimline style. ;)
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's basically the New 52 Slimline book from the comics. We have it in the "Stalwart Defender" suit from Promethium Lockboxes.
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Thing is they'd have to rebuild the game from scratch in order to take advantage of Unreal 4 or 5. That would require the budget of a brand new game...which guess what, they're using to do just that (Last year Jack Emmert casually mentioned they had started a next gen MMO for Dimensional Ink).

They did mention last year that they are looking to do some kind of graphical upgrade this year, so who knows what's coming down the pipeline.
    • Like x 1
  20. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Mepps said the graphical upgrade mentioned in the eg7 announcement was related to PS5, which was confirmed by Panderus to not be a major upgrade, so I wouldn't bet on anything besides the small visual upgrades we have been getting since they dropped the PS3.