Why no new iconics?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Robotsidekick, Apr 21, 2021.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I would love to see some of the iconic powers that Legends use added to the iconic powers tree, so players can use and work with in their loadouts. Might even help some might powers.
    • Like x 5
  2. PolarisSylar Committed Player

I think the original poster , was why there haven't new iconic powers in the iconics power tree. ( legends characters that's a tale for a different topic, off track)
    The question is any more iconics powers ??
    • Like x 2
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This was a 2-4-1 disclosure. You've been blessed by the gods OP. Go forth with wisdom in your heart.
    • Like x 2
  4. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

Correct me if I am wrong (Mostly someone high up like MEPPS).

But, Let's say you guys had infinite budget, a much bigger team willing to transform this game into the ultimate DC experience;

Would it still be possible considering some company owns the rights to pretty much everything DC related and if they say "NO" then no matter how much we cry, the final answer is still NO!

Is that true at all?
  5. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

His comment means nothing and is no different then the one we got last year or the one before and is certainly no different then the thread i made 3-4 years ago when halls of power came out and i asked for the boom tube. Even when they release new iconics and try to show them off all excited as if theyre the best thing ever , in my mind they will be tainted, because it took so d@mn long for us to get them. Ive long said that dcuo gives us what we want ( water powers & legion dlc) but it comes way to late. By the time we actually get the heavily requested items alot of players that asked for them arent even here anymore.
    • Like x 2
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Your question is sort of not all there. The budget size really doesn't effect the answer to your question. Big budget or small budget they can do the ultimate experience now if they want without DC saying anything either way about it.

This game is a licensed product -- meaning DI/DB rents the IP from WB/DC and pay for it based on the terms of their licensing agreement. There are a lot of responsibilities that come along with licensing any franchise -- on both sides. The license allows DI to use the [in this case comicbook] content in the game. The Devs have explained this relationship and nature of this game's license on many occasions in the past; DI/DB has the ability to do, more or less, whatever they want with the game. However, they do run their plans by DC and DC will ultimately have final approval and theoretically can shut down something if they need to for some reason. DC isn't actively shaping the direction of the game though; that's all DI/DB. For example DB will probably tell them their plans for DLC/stories a year or so in advance incase there's any intersectional interests to consider, or will seek their approval on anything related to a character likeness (like Iconic character emblems) that could infringe on a trademark/copyright. DB's responsibilities would prevent them from unethical business practices that could hurt the brand -- like the EA StarWars lootbox controversy.

So, like, if someone is telling you "bruh it doesn't matter if they have all the money in the world or not, DC can still say no." That's technically true, but they aren't doing that. It doesn't really work that way because their license allows them to do what they want outside of specific exceptions (which would be set by the specific terms of their licensing agreement -- like copyright and tm concerns, or if the brand is being properly represented etc) like I said above.

We typically don't agree so I'll put that out there; but I do agree with you on this issue. I do think that the speed they respond to the needs of their playerbase is a problem and it's lead to a lot of attrition over the years that could have been avoided. Although, there is plenty of feedback the team has disregarded entirely also, because they have a different direction in mind for the game than players might want from it.
    • Like x 2
  7. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

Well, I would assume budget does play a part. Say, the dev team gets the green light to transform this game into the ultimate DC experience, they would be limited by the amount of money to put into the game, servers, pay the team etc.

But, thank you for the answer. Very well thought out.
    • Like x 1
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Well yes, budget of course dictates what the Dev team can do ultimately from a practical perspective. But DC doesn't control the budget or the day to day operations and decision making (outside of some specific term set out in their license). The framing of your question was a little weird so it was hard to figure out what you were asking.

But this is all stuff green names have said in the past openly; I'm only repeating. So hopefully it answers your question.
  9. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Please, please, PLEASE figure out a way to bring back a version of X-Ray Vision! I have several characters that need it. And if you were to make it more useful than the old version that was removed from the game several years ago, I'm sure hardly anyone would complain! ;)
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

"Some company"? The company that owns "pretty much everything DC related" is DC Entertainment, which is a division of Warner Brothers.

https://www.warnerbros.com/company/divisions/dc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics#DC_Entertainment

So, yes, it turns out that DC owns DC. They own the properties that they own. The decide what licensees can and cannot do with DC licenses.

If that's not what you're asking, my apologies for not being able to tell what you're asking. Are you asking something more specific about IP (Intellectual Property) law?
  11. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Right
  12. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

wow who would have guessed this to is not worth the time. By most you mean people here right? you don't accept the game mechanics now Blue immunities ect have ran the pvp player base off as whole? Sooner then later it may be a long term play for you guys to look into simply rolling back pvp to 2012 and keeping it seperate from how pve works. Bring RPS, Remove Blues, Remove Pet trinkets, Remove Power spamming and bam you have restored pvp for the most part, Add in some rewards and you have it a system that will make you guys money but having people stick to the game and log in for more then a week or two after stream rolling your new pvp content.
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

What's the point of X-Ray Vision when there are no actual invisible NPCs anywhere in the game that can hurt you and thus it's literally useless (without any possible use)?

(The "invisible" NPCs one meets while leveling through the tutorial to Level 30 have never been remotely "invisible"; they just change to having an outline and if you hit them, they revert even that. When you can see something at all times, it isn't invisible.)

If you want a "more useful" version you need to specify what would make it "more useful." "Hey, I leave that job up to you, just make it useful" isn't a helpful -- or useful -- suggestion. It's content-free. Useful how? Useful to do what?
  14. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

What does this mean in English?

No, I'm not trying to pick on the poster. Incoherent sentence fragments aren't the best way to communicate ideas. What isn't worth whose time, when? What's "this"?
  15. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

It's always been cool to see super hero's always wearing capes when paying players request things outside of styles.
  16. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

We had this debate like a month or so ago I ended up getting banned for calling this exact thing out and told it's not true but when every time a player ask about new powersets, iconics, pvp anything that has to do with the core of the game were told it's not in the plan we don't have the resources, I mean this is the strongest case of a company milking a player base pretty much in gaming history. You would hope this new company invest more into the game but I seriously doubt it.
    • Like x 3
  17. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

That actually wasn't meant for you I'm using my cell phone and sometimes it's iffy.
  18. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Fine. I seem to remember enemies that, during a fight, can disappear, then reappear a moment later. Maybe they're teleporting, or tunneling underground, or turning invisible. Whatever the case is, you can't tell where they're going to reappear, at least not until and unless you memorize their pattern. X-Ray Vision would keep them visible the entire time unless they're teleporting, where it makes sense for them to disappear, then reappear. Even still, X-Ray Vision could be used to give an advance indication of where they'll be teleporting back in!

I really hope I'm not misremembering and thinking of enemies from a different game.... :confused:
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Did you mean to use private messaging?

Because if you didn't, and intentionally posted it to this public forum for all to comment on, all are free to comment, regardless of your desires.

See, that I perfectly understand and regard as a perfectly reasonable explanation for a comment being cryptic or puzzling or confusing.

I suggest giving that explanation when relevant and never trying the "I didn't ask for your opinion" response when posting to a public forum because that argument inherently makes no sense. If you're posting to a public forum, you're asking for response from whomever chooses to respond. Like it or not. That's just how "public" works. It's not email. It's the opposite of "private."

Thanks for responding.
    • Like x 1
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Well, there are certainly NPCs in Marvel's Avengers who teleport. ;)

There are some bosses in DCUO that teleport, but I don't recall adds that do. I totally could be forgetting examples, though.

https://dcuniverseonline.fandom.com/wiki/Teleportation?section=2
    • Like x 1