Tanking Balance in SM and Feeback

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by The VL, Apr 10, 2021.

1. zCaution Well-Known Player

Don’t be butt hurt, it’s all good lmao what I typed went with what he said. You reaching for someone who’s toooo far for you lol
  2. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

What's the point of your post? To point out you think I was "********"? How would you know what I am feeling? Are you stalking me? Did you install a camera to watch my reactions to forum posts? LMAO
    1) You're assumption was dead wrong. I thought his response was funny because it was a waste of the OP's time.
    2) Your post is just as much of a waste of time in this thread being off topic.
    3) You don't know who I am to be able to know where I stand in game. LMAO
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

if i had a dollar for every person i queued into survival mode with today who had no mainframe mods i would have about 14 dollars. I was thinking of recording everything and editing together a little video of me just queueing in and inspecting everyone to the benny hill theme song but thats too black listey. and too much work.

i'm still not sold on it but i've enjoyed this round of S and M more than any other. I have not gone far in at all . its embarrassing really but everything I've done has been at the mercy of blind queues so while i'm not running around with a lightning bolt on my back i'm still very pleased.

I grew.
  4. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

I gave an example of a possible solution, not a buff to rage or anything. Just a way the powers should be balenced. Moment of "imortally" or best case scenario period of risk. Ice is 2 safe and no risk.
  5. zNot Loyal Player

They should design Elite raids and SM to make it difficult on all tanking powers without making fire tanks useless i agree and know that Fire cant do SM like ice and ice is really strong considering how easy/safe it is to use but this also applies to Elite Raids in general.

i think with the feedback we also gave for the Test server Elite raids and many of these SM threads that they will focus more detailed on the Tanking difficulty in SM and Elite raids without having to adjust powers by buffing/nerfing.
  6. The VL Active Player

Yes its a public forum thread. If you managed to read through the first paragraph it states "you are are encouraged to share your opinions and experiences." Reading comprehension falls short on some people apparently.

What you are referring to: "If you're going to have some defeatist mentality, excuses as to why there are imbalances, or try to say something that basically amounts to just working around the problem instead of fixing it, then I suggest you move on already and save your time" concerns staying on topic.
    Because those specifics that I mentioned are off-topic and circumventing what the post is about. They do not solve the problem. I saw all the silly excuses coming a mile away.

I haven't asked for a nerf. LOL! Why would I when I'm so close to 30 as a non-meta main tank who hasn't flip-flopped with powersets because a round was too tough. LFG bears no fruit when I'm forming groups for the rounds I'm on and I know even meta groups and ice tanks stuck on lower rounds.

There are so many other things to work on for SM's fight designs. Mobility for both you and the boss, speed, frequency of attacks, phases, mechanics of fights, etc.
    Sure, some of it clearly concerns powers as well. Tanking kits being wet paper bags and people playing discount versions of ice while ice is still ice. Inefficient due to the nature of the content design. There's a reason 80-90% completions are Ice. And it shouldn't be that way. The content should be designed to reflect the diversity of powersets. You should be able to play your unique powerset the way it was meant to be played(not paper-bag discount ice) while the content maintains its difficulty. Its something games strive towards. Balance. It doesn't mean crying for nerfs.

Which means either some powers should be adjusted or the content should be adjusted or maybe a bit of both. If you were able to read the title despite the irrelevant typo it says: "(mostly due to content design)" This should be self explanatory as to what my own opinions are. I find more flaws with the content design than actual powersets. I'm open to ideas however since the very first paragraph welcomes ideas(Not derailment/off-topic/non-problem solving ideas).

There's a reason this is being posted now when SM has less than a week left to it. Because its feedback. I'm not so silly as to want a nerf on something like this and a nerf on the last week at that. You know what they say assumptions make out of you.

Are you in the high-end 20's rounds as a non-meta main tank or offering some insight as to your experiences main tanking?
    If you didn't read, you didn't need to post. Its borderline derailment.
    • Like x 3
  7. zNot Loyal Player

I agree especially the kiting part is something that must be cut out from Tanking at endgame content also if we look at atomic it is a power that is stationary so kiting isnt really a option and for thats unfair and ive said many times to not let Tanks kite on Elite raids/SM.

I also agree that all Tanking powers should be able to complete SM my fear would be that it would be too easy for certain power sets like Ice which would make even more people go ice because it would be broken good then.

Give them examples how the content should be designed i think this would help them to understand it further.
    • Like x 1
  8. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

How is it favoring certain powers when all powers can complete it?
  9. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

So basically every power should have the exact same abilities and just be re skins of each other.... got it

There is no such thing as balance in an mmo. Some of you have been here almost a decade and still haven't figured this out?
  10. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

The OP defeats its own argument in the same post. Some powers are obviously going to be betterthan other in certain situations.it is called variety. Without it, we just have one power re skinned.

This is a game based on comics right? Tell me why there are certain villains that can only be defeated by a certain power in comics but it is wrong here?
  11. The VL Active Player

Once again, and unfortunately, reading comprehension falls short on you. Nowhere does it say "So basically every power should have the exact same abilities and just be re skins of each other."
    It actually very distinctly says all powers should be "Unique AND Viable."

The argument is defeated in the post itself? You clearly don't understand. And it says quite a bit about your understanding of Tanking, Survival Mode, and content design in the game itself. Again, I'll ask. How many rounds of SM did you complete as a non-ice main tank and how was that experience?
    What you highlighted there is about content design. There's nothing contradictory about it. Are there differences amongst powersets? Sure, and rightfully so but its the design of the content that's making certain powersets/playstyles become "OP" or unevenly favored.

When there's imbalance like we have for Survival Mode, the options are to either adjust powers around the content(circumventing the problem), fixing the content itself, or perhaps a bit of both. Those are the options. Fixing the content itself is where my opinion is as you've failed to understand. Obviously people will have different opinions and some people believe certain powers to be Overpowered. I left my thread to even that idea despite not being a full believer of it in the hopes they will start to realize its the content design as well.

Currently, all the Elite raids are completable as any Tank power, and the differences in difficulty between trying to use the different Tanking sets is very minimal. Their kits are not useless or wet paper bag discount versions of Ice. They can play their power and play it how it was meant to be played. There is no severe advantage to one power and not another. Not so much so that people are swapping powersets to get things done. Do you know why? Because the Elite raids were designed better to reflect Tanking diversity compared to the current Survival Mode. Even the very first Survival Modes in 2014/2015 did a better job.

"Some powers are obviously going to be better than others in certain situations" I've heard this poor argument before and I've heard it out of one of the testers even. Its from people who fail to understand the point.
    Those "certain situations" shouldn't unreasonably favor one powerset over another to the point people are swapping powers because their own original power was useless or extremely disadvantageous. Its that margin. Nothing should excel or lag behind so severely. That's when we lose balance.
    Again, this goes back to the example of Elite raids where they got it right. And Survival Mode where they got it wrong.

"This is a game based on comics right? Tell me why there are certain villains that can only be defeated by a certain power in comics but it is wrong here?"
    Its a game based on comic book stories yes. Why is it wrong? Because fundamentally this is a video game, not a comic book story. There are rules and orders. That's why we don't have Green Lantern roleplayers shredding everyone and everything because of their enormous roleplay willpower. Games strive and should strive towards proper balance.
    • Like x 3
  12. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

I wonder if you can comprehend content that allows for variety of characters to run it instead of, content XYZ will only cater to this tank, this troller, and this healer....

I think the guy might just be trolling you. I doubt he's gotten past round 5 of SM this season.
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

The point the OP was making is that the content (SM) isn't created with all powers in mind, that's abundantly obvious having run it, it was the same last time SM was released, it's the same this time.

Most experienced players openly joke about changing ice, changing water etc and they joke about it for a reason.

To some extent this even applies in other content in the game where rage tanks at times can have notorioisly easier times because of the way their tanking mechanics operate, the same type of thing occurs when you lean more towards wanting to mitigate damage in the first place rather than reactively heal it, so water pushes to the front.

I understand your point about maintaining variation but at the same time this isn't what the OP was even saying, theyre saying that content should be designed with all the powers in mind.

With that being the case when developing content the devs should be asking themselves;

"Ok with this raid how will ice, earth, rage, fire, atomic all manage it, where are they going to struggle, where are they going to excel and why, is each potential benefit or hurdle acceptable, if the hurdles become so extreme that a reasonable player will change powers to overcome a hurdle then that piece of content should not be developed.

It is not acceptable to tell a person to struggle infinitely more because they choose to be a particular power or be left feeling compelled to change powers, costing them money and forcing them to play the game with a power they'd rather not, it is also equally unacceptable to suggest they simply not do the content either.

It would appear the OP has also clarified his point to you further above as well, the point was rather obvious of course and an entirely reasonable one.

It goes for all content in the game, not just SM, it's just SM is often quite guilty of making this types of imbalance more abundantly apparent.

It'll be interesting as well to see what shakes out in the new elite challenge mode as well. ;)
    • Like x 4