What exactly is the point of a Villain?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MyDpsIsBetter, Mar 17, 2021.

1. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Something has been bugging me for quite some time. Currently as a Villain it is completely pointless. Starting this game being one was intriguing through history in comics vils have for periods have won. In Dcuo being a hero isn't true you spend more time doing good then doing bad. You also never win for a period of time, each dlc is centered for heros with vils assisting them.
    • Like x 3
  2. Aesthete Well-Known Player

I thought Amanda Waller made it pretty clear for you guys.

You do our biddings. ;)
    • Like x 6
  3. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 7
  4. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

i played a villain in beta. launch, started with a hero. Content became repetitive fast. Made a Villain for PvP.... to fill out the PvP aspect of the potential gameplay/community when content could not be used for any rewards, as the content had been done that day/week, PvP had rewards with players in matches. Even since day one, too many hero characters.

I still have my original hero character, but my main is my Villain. I deleted many alts years ago after trying other powers. ...also made alts to experience the various mentors.

It's been a long time since 2011. Back when there were named PvE or PvP servers. https://kotaku.com/as-dc-universe-online-merges-into-megaservers-which-5828303

• Like x 1
  5. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

Villains? There's no villains here... only the hero's "beaches".

Seriously though; I agree 100%.
    Having a villain is a waste of time.
    (Though I have several).
    • Like x 2
  6. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

yeah, just saw you're a member since 2013, OP, u know the deal, it's never a good day for villains in this game.

...to anyone not familiar with 2013 membership with dcuo forum, they archived the website forums back in 2013. So, nobody has an account membership prior to 2013. :oops: The banhammer fell on the whole forum.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

It is weird that we never get a villain dlc despite the rising popularity in villain centric content being put out by dc comics
    • Like x 2
  8. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Is it villain centric or DC actively trying to make popular villains become heroes or anti heroes cough Harley, Ivy, Deathstroke, Black Adam cough.
  9. L T Devoted Player

Hand of Fate and Origin Crisis were great about giving villains a re-skinned version of the content that told a different story.
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I would like a villain-centric episode where the heroes go undercover and help the villains do bad.
    • Like x 3
  11. Cap0037 Active Player

It is pretty sad how far Villain content has fallen off.
    They are just basically reskinned heroes now.

Which is ironic given that this alternate DC universe actually had Lex Luthor winning at it's inception.

Just the simplest tweaks of perspective and story can really make all the difference..
    See Origin Crisis as example, which... no surprise...also won Best Episode.

Now that Daybreak has a real company backing them, and being in the corporate industry I can see the subtle changes in direction/mindset already, means they can start backtracking and working on QOL stuff more and more going forward.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The mechanics of what we do as heroes and villains are pretty similar. There's no getting around that. With two factions and decently regular content additions to the game (episodes vs. typical MMO expansions) it's basically a shortcut and not one I'm going to blame the devs for taking due to the content demands of the players.

So that brings it down to why we're doing what we're doing on a particular side of the battle. The comm messages we get, the information we get from quest givers, and so on and so forth. Gloss over or ignore that and it's going to look like the exact same thing on both sides. The context matters.

There are times where the differences are more stark and easier to notice, but the differences are there.
  13. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Yea been here since launch I know the deal, all you said was right from the start we was always outnumbered ring war feats for a while was next to impossible to do pvp at launch was highly mismatched ect but dang after all the years you would think they have an episode where the vil shine in it and its vil focused.
    • Like x 1
  14. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

I actually think this argument can be expanded to most other requests for better gameplay.

It is also one of those things that, I believe is tied to the reduced development team, and part of the cuts that were made with the content or at the very least put in the todo pile or some time in the first or whatever pile.

Hardly anyone ever mention the only 2 pieces of content in the game that is directly in the open world that allows villains to be villains and heroes to be heroes.

Sadly hardly anyone cares about them either except for the feat associated, they use to have some buff items that could be used in PvP arenas that people actually called to have them removed.

Want to rob banks? Well they gave us the Diamond Heist, and it used to attract large crowds, with epic fights, which also used to keep track he PvP phase live.

Now combined with the lack of personal and the lack of interest to even have wars like we did before they took away the things that people wanted removed, and flat lined the PvP gear so that someone with out PvP gear can do just as much, if not more than someone with PvP, thus giving the non-geared player a chance even though it was more than some may have wanted, it took the drive away the interest.

So the purpose for having a villain side is to get destroyed, over and over again in Ring Wars and the Diamond Heist.

Crime does not pay.

Thanks for asking though.
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Not exactly.

Fans like the badazz characters to the point where the narratives redeem them into antiheroes or reform them totally into heroes. So all that "villain" content is really just reformed into hero content.
  16. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

MMOs through time has always balanced the factions back giving players bonus or a reason to play the one that's lacking on here if you know from the start what your getting into, there's no reason to create a vil. Story centered around heros winning every time, your out numbered in world content, zero current hero vs vil raids which would change the game. Think of adding an alert where the vils robbing something and heros try and stop them. Something of that nature.
    • Like x 1
  17. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

Villains were made, so I as a Hero could kick some :)
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

That looks painful, and I agree with this thread.
  19. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, I spend most of my time and effort on villain toons and love the faction and my toons in it. Due to this I would love for them to get more love if possible. It's not quite to the point imo that there is straight up no difference between factions due to a handful of little details, but it's def closer to that than I would like. Makes me wish all the more for an independent/anti-hero/grey area faction to cover such middle ground and be able to have both that and straight up villains. There are several toons of mine I wish desperately could be in such a faction and several I wish desperately could be more villainous (though a lot of my villains tend to be the think-they're-the-hero type, but much like Lex or Ra's or Sinestro their "heroism" is very twisted and effectively villainous despite intentions and motives). I know it won't happen and if it did I'd probably take the rest of my life for it to sink in and my mind to truly believe it's real lol. Still fun to fantasize about, though.
    Might be they're worried about making villain faction too villainous because of toons that may be intended to be more grey and which that wouldn't work for. This is exactly why I want this so bad.
  20. Controller Devoted Player

A punching bag?