Artifact for ice tank?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Aduzar Light, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

What artefacts are needed for an ice tank?
  2. Coldzoom Well-Known Player

Right now i use Manacles, Sevens, Lasso and keeping EoG around to be situational .
  3. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Ok, I'd be good, so that's what I use too, because in my league I was told that the "Dilustel Refractor" would be the main artifact for tank ice, true or not?
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Dilustel Refractor would be more useful than the Lasso artifact.
    Eye of Gemini would be more useful than the Dilustel Refractor.
  5. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I run Manacles, Mystic Symbol and Eye of Gemini.
    EoG because I use Acro's cheap SC shield, Perfect Poise. I rarely spam it for the group, tho, it's more for myself.
    If you are speedster, you can use Dash Attack. Or Pheromone Bloom. If you don't use SC, EoG is sort of useless.

Stats-wise, Lasso is quite good. Its ability, though, is situational.
    If I wasn't running EoG, I'd probably pick Lasso instead. Maybe, if only for the stats and, occasionally, for lulz.

Dilustel Refractor gives a health buff to the whole group when you use a pull. It's an old artifact, there are better options now.

Everyman Prototype isn't useful for Ice either.
    It adds up defense depending on your current health level and overall health pool. We don't spec into Health much (Dom and Resto come first) and our health doesn't drop as rapidly and often as for other tanks. It may look good on paper, but in practice... not so much.
  6. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Depends on the situation.

If you're running a solo Bounty build, running Dailies, or battle-tanking, I'd say Trans/Strat/Symbol - and enough SP to cover both sets of Crits, Attack and Healing - because it does this:

And increases your damage output significantly at the same time. Low Pressure as a Pull, Doom Spin or 1H Flurry, bring a mop.

For more serious stuff, Symbol/Manacles and "pick something else" - I like the Lasso for the multitarget pull, Mesmerizing Lasso is a "hard" Taunt anyway, and "even miniscule residual Health as an Ice Tank is quite beneficial". Plus it Stuns, plus Tether is an awesome field management tool.

In that instance you really only need to build out the Healing Crits, which allows you to dump 60 extra SP into Restoration or Dominance once your Health is maxed.

EoG or Soul Cloak might be a thought - my vote is Cloak, I'm already building one for this express purpose, being "spammable Dustoff is no joke" - and the Refractor would effectively be a decent standing Health bonus, though the reality of it is that even at max Art level and 400 SP? You're only looking at +/- 9K extra Health.

You get that from popping an Omega (assuming you have the 285 SP to dump into Health).

But hey, it's your tank.
  7. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Please don't give me another artifact to mount! :D
    • Like x 1
  8. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I regret so much to have destroyed my EoG when I had UP for my HEAL, I thought I didn't need it anymore in tank....
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

EoG is kind of universal, you know? Like anyone can do Something with it, and it may not be an "all situations" artifact, but it's certainly enough of them.

as for this?

sorry, off-meta is kind of my brand these days heh.
  10. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I knew that, yes, but I didn't imagine him to be so effective in all roles.
    • Like x 1
  11. Psyfur Well-Known Player

I’m thinking of switching from fire to ice because I have a theory that the tethering affect from the lasso artifact and resonating gale would make a very effective 1-2 punch, specifically with the eye balls in COUE. Does anyone have any personal experience with using that combo in COUE?
  12. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I probably wouldn't be in the best position to answer as I'm a young tank, but this "lasso" artifact seems to me to be very useful for ice, as I find that the ice multi-target aggro spell has a rather limited range of action, compared to the other powers, I find that the ice multi-target aggro spell works mostly on the enemies in front of you, unlike the other multi-target aggro spell powers which are more effective on 360° aggro, unless I'm seeing wrong, but I often get that impression with the ICE tank.

Having tested the fire, I found its aggro, much more fun and easy.
  13. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Manacles of Force is it really useful for the ice tank?
  14. Berza Committed Player

Manacles of Force reduce the cooldown on all Shields by 10% at rank 120. As Shields are the main tanking resource for Ice, Manacles is probably the most important artifact for an Ice tank.
    • Like x 1
  15. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

That, and it's one-shot insurance. The way Unshakable works is by redistributing incoming heavy attack damage over the next few seconds - when coupled with the aforementioned Shield cooldown reduction and the continuous background regeneration from the Mystic Seven, it allows you to brush off (some) things that would normally be nearly (if not immediately) fatal attacks. It's not something I use in a battle tank build but high holy Hell does it work for a heavy tank.
  16. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

This new one has ice all over it
    • Like x 2
  17. IceRaider Dedicated Player

I use symbol, trans and manacles. I actually really like the healing, between the crits from symbol/trans in combination with the the resto weapon mod and regen shield hand mod.
  18. Coldzoom Well-Known Player

Is Circe's mask a must for ice tanks? For me it would mean not using Lasso and going with inescapable storm so my pulls will suffer.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Circe's Mask isn't a must but it's a better option than Lasso in my opinion.
  20. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I'm currently using Manacles of Force, Mystic Symbol of the Seven and the Mask of Circe. The Mask is great for Ice Tanks!