Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Super Magnificent, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Super Magnificent New Player

2. Super Magnificent New Player

Literally looks like the DC Character and name spelled exactly the same.

Have done multiple tickets including with screenshots.

Please advise.
  3. Stardazer Committed Player

Are you reporting the player because they have the name and appearance of an actual DC character? Because that is totally allowed since the beginning of this game. There are TONS of players who like to play as iconic characters.

Now, if you have been reporting them for another issue... then that's another story.
    • Like x 4
  4. Super Magnificent New Player

Hi,
    TYVM for the reply.

Unfortunately, not sure where you get your information...EU Server maybe?
    But on NA servers you are NOT allowed to play as DC property.
    Not even as a GM or DEV

Hence why you do not see them come in the come as actual DC character ever.
    Also why when the speed run happened where the DC Iconics got owned....it was because they are on EU server.

Maxima is on NA server.
    Not allowed.

Unless a DEV would like to clarify, and then explain why so many of the official DC names are blocked from the character creator...if they are allowed ingame.

Please Clairfy.

TY
  5. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah if the devs got upset with this player I'd be in some deeeeep trouble. I don't really have any toons that are just straight up an existing DC character as they exist in official media, but I have several that are a twist on an Iconic (like a dark, corrupted, twisted version of them or them as a different super-identity) or my own characters that have taken up the mantel like a Batgirl that's toon name is EmilyBatgirl and a Nightwing who's toon name is NightwingZoe. Heck, I've made my self-insert in the game and her name is Kestrel with the toon name being MS Kestrel (MS being my and her initials, I use first names and initials in toon names a lot when a name's taken), hence my username. There is an official DC character named Kestrel. My character has absolutely nothing to do with him (heck, I first conceived her for the Marvel universe!) but happens to have the same name.

And I can barely take a step in the game's world without seeing a Batman, a Nightwing, a Robin, a Superman, a Green Lantern, a Green Arrow, a Supergirl, etc. They even give us the characters' outfits and emblems. There's a million leagues of people making and acting as Iconics (both DC and other). If it was a problem this would not be the case. Besides, what does it hurt? Who does it hurt? Not really different from making fanart or a Sim of a character (both of which I and many of us have done). I prefer to make my own characters or my own version of and twist on any existing ones I use and be creative, but some people just wanna roleplay as their favorite hero and run around with other heroes they love (like being Nightwing and doing the Batman line of missions). And I really don't care who does which. To each his own. Neither should bother or judge the other about it. There's really no reason to. DCUO is made specifically for us to be who and what we want as much as they can give us the ability to and enjoy doing so, live out our heroic and/or villainous fantasies. What we and they should worry about is bigoted and otherwise inappropriate names.
    • Like x 2
  6. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Old rule they've stopped worrying about or really enforcing but haven't gotten around to changing that
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

DC does not have the sole rights to that name. The name Maxima is tied to several real people and other entities outside of DC Comics. Please stop wasting customer service's and our time with this. It sounds to me like your actually trying to steal that name for yourself via CS intervention.
    • Like x 11
  8. testerz New Player

Why would you care if someone has the exact spelling of an Iconic DC character?
    Sounds like jealousy and envy to me.
    • Like x 7
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I'm surprised I've gotten away with what I have. I named my Troller and my Hero League...

1800555HERO

This is the phone number for Hero Hotline. Which was the name of a series which first appeared in 1989. I'm always expecting someone to report me for spamming a phone number.
    • Like x 2
  10. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

You're complaining when she spent the day carrying you through 31st Century bounties? My god, man... Pull youself together.
    • Like x 5
  11. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

Bro i faced multiple times a guy on LPVE with the name Green Arrow, that man spammed Green Arrow a couple of time in Ace and alot on safes, so frustrating xd. Still it made my day.

I heard he was forced to change his name. Such a legend.
  12. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Wonder if Nissan will get involved. They've made so many cars with this name
  13. Eve YouTuber

Eh...There are tons of iconics on the US server. The only rule I heard of is that you can't use special letters on US. (Because you can't unlike EU). And reporting someone for being Iconic is ridiculous to say the least. Unless they were being toxic, leave them alone.
    • Like x 3
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I know that no name can be made with the word Manhattan in it. No idea why though :(
  15. Shalayah Committed Player

You’re reporting them because they have a name that isn’t otherwise inappropriate, offensive or harmful to anybody?

That’s hilarious
    • Like x 4
  16. Toshknight Loyal Player

im confused. Maxima is a C or D list character, I'm sure there are tons of names of characters apart of DC and marvel, that can be used, if they did not put a block on the name when the game came out, when it was at it's strictest with names, then the character either isn't being written anymore, isn't popular enough for them to even care, but why even make a post about this, at first i thought you were offended by the character, and i am trying to figure out why someone would go after a name, that is used in a lot of instances, its a car , it could be anything, and being that its a older DC character, it isn't a A list even B list character like Batman , superman, Joker so it is ok, if it was that big of a legal deal they would have taken care of it.

• Like x 2
  17. Stardazer Committed Player

At the end of the day, none of the characters we create are our own property, it belongs to DC and/or DCUO. If this player got the chance to create their name using an iconic name (also Maxima is a common name, too. I knew 2 girls named Maxima growing up), then that's great. Superman is a trademarked name, Maxima is a common female name and name of a car model. This player then has the freedom to style their character however they like using the many styles given to us for creative purposes.

If DCUO wanted to create Maxima (the comic character) in-game for an upcoming DLC, they may ask/force a name change for the player, but until then, it really has no affects on anyone's gameplay. Let the player do their thing and devs focus on more important things.
    • Like x 3
  18. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

I have an iconic character with the correct spelling had it for years and not a single problem ever.
    • Like x 1
  19. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

OP, please list all of your character names. I just want to make sure they're not anything that should be reported.
    • Like x 4
  20. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

Or at least so we can add them all to ignore.
    • Like x 2