Gender Change Token

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by catplaysxoxo, Feb 17, 2021.

1. N-IX Well-Known Player

unfortunately they will often find excuses so that good ideas do not see the light of day, another idea that dates back almost 10 years, rather ask for wonder woman equipments :) :) :)
  2. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Appreciated why? because a male made a female character and realizes its creepy to cosplay and dress a female toon in a video game with skimpy styles? or the reverse you made a male toon and now find it boring and would much rather enjoy the proposition of creating styles for a female character?
  3. N-IX Well-Known Player

wow many questions, I just give my opinion:) :) :) and support good ideas
  4. Aesthete Well-Known Player

its 2021.

People are free to express and identify themselves ingame however they wish, and it really shouldn't bother or concern you. It's quite surprising a 10 year old MMO doesn't even have such a basic feature that you can find in most, if not every other MMO. But then again... DC's character creation isn't the most robust out there.
    • Like x 2
  5. Extinction Active Player

I don't recall we lose the Feats/SP when we change Movement (Flight, Speed, Acrobatics) or Role powers (Tank/Heal/Troller).. or do we?

Would be nice to get the Gender Swap token (or even Faction), if some styles have to be re-earned, so be it, we can get them again through play, unlock or pay, we currently have stuff more atrocious with TC's (good luck re/earning all those styles).

The more choices we have the better. If you personally don't want to change, don't, let others live..
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

2021 has nothing to do with it, this is a video game not real life. This also isn't a normal MMO its one with a foundation and lore based in the world of the DC Comics. Would you like to share with me what DC character swaps genders as a power? There are characters like She Hulk or American Dream or Lady Deadpool or Lady Punisher or Batwoman but is it actually deadpool switching genders and becoming that character? no its not its an entirely different person along with all the rest.

If DCUO was like other MMO's you wouldn't see the forums filled with players crying about having the game and all its items and styles be made easy to attain and mechanics nerfed to make content completable by everyone.
    • Like x 3
  7. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Let's say I have a main toon that I wasted or rather invested a ton of money on it such as materials, skill points etc... mind you some materials or styles can't be obtained anymore and AND I don't have the luxury of starting over. Sure I can always make a new toon but there are others who RP as well. This has nothing to do if a DC character can change their gender. But if you want to go that route then it's pretty simple, DC comics has magic, that alone should be efficient logic. There's demons and devils and science, we even have Gods. But on to my point, it's a basic concept and has nothing to do with one's real life identity lol one can say some styles look better on that specific gender. In my opinion I like the demonic style for female than I do male. Someone above mentioned you don't lose your feat point when switching from Flight to Superspeed, in fact you gain feats and that's an excellent point so I don't see how you will lose feats if you were to change gender.

But eh it's not that serious and I'm sure it's not a priority like the rest. I mean it's only been 10 years......
    • Like x 1
  8. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Just to be "that guy", Loki, Martian Man Hunter, and really any shape shifter change sexes fairly often. I'm still in the don't care camp granted but there are quite a few. Still don't think it will or even should happen since this game needs a lot of other improvements 1st.
    • Like x 1
  9. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

You never answered my question. I understand that players are free to express themselves. I’m not against that but why do you need a gender change token to express yourself? Why would you create a male toon in the first place if you wanna be a girl?
  10. Panderus Senior Producer

This feature is possible, but would take some amount of work to get functioning. There would also be some items that would be unavailable for the other gender as the 3D mesh simply doesn't exist like for the monocle, yes a monocle was gender locked for some reason.

I'm asking around about the feasibility on it since you know, it can make money and bosses have a hard time saying no to that sort of thing. Service type items often provide a long term slow burn of extra income thats good to diversify with. Also, its clearly something that fits our game and has been asked for several times already.

Our philosophy now is more make style items for both genders even if one is more feminine or masculine, players can make up whatever reason they want for why their character can wear that item. Beards, beards for everyone!
    • Like x 20
  11. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Down with limiting gender roles!

Actually, one of my toons that is a version of Damian that sided with Talia and became a world dictator guy (sorta Injustice just with him at the center instead of Clark) and purely out of it being the best crown type thing for my needs (a floating magic crown wouldn't make much sense on him) he has a fraggin Wonder Woman tiara lol. My favorite thing is how it doesn't even look weird or out of place. It just works, better than you'd think lol. I also have a female Nightwing (not genderbent Dick, new person taking up the mantle in the future). So yeah: DOWN WITH LIMITING GENDER ROLES!
  12. Eve YouTuber

It's worth the effort. The community asked for it for years and if It's possible, then why not?
    If specific styles doesn't have a male version or female version will it take too much resources making them available for both genders?
    • Like x 2
  13. Flying F0X New Player

Damage Rolls, not Gender Roles!
    • Like x 1
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i had a beard in high school.

she was my next door neighbors danish au pair.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

On the first question, I'd guess that "possible" doesn't always mean "necessary." If we were in a situation where we could only have one character in the game (easier to pull off when you have multiple servers instead of one megaserver) then having things like gender or faction switching systems would be more necessary. But even FTP players get two slots to work with, and more can be gained via purchase or sub. It's not that difficult to make an opposite-gender clone of a character and then get them up to speed. Gender change tokens have been asked for, sure, but the need hasn't really been there (and other needs for the game have taken precedence).

I wouldn't dare to guess on the workload/resources necessary for male/female versions of styles, but I think feats and one-time rewards might be a hurdle to deal with. For example, you get the Patriotic and Tech Sniper hands and feet once in-game from investigations/briefings and they're locked to your gender. If the system wasn't able to provide a one-to-one changeover for some styles like that, you'd be out of luck in getting your new gender versions because you can only do investigations/briefings once. And the feats that come with the Heart of the Predator and Sector 3601 styles might not be handed out as the devs do like us to play to get stuff like that. There might even be an issue with DC wanting to have a say, especially with Star Sapphire stuff considering they are still protective of the various ring-slingers.
    • Like x 1
  16. Eve YouTuber

Yeah I understand what you mean, there's too many reasons as why it shouldn't or couldn't or even should happen.
    I do agree that making an alt, while might take time, can still be another option for this. I talked to my friends about it last night -

Make a alt, skip it, get it to end game CR (310). Use your replays to unlock the styles you want, and farm source marks\episode currency for the styles you want. Having discounts from your main (by unlocking the feats) will come super handy here. If you drop rare stuff you can choose to give it to your new gender character. It's going to take awhile, but It's a possible workaround for having two characters. AND Most gear is in open episodes so as long as you are in the required combat rating you can get the styles.

Personally, I have 29 characters atm on the EU server. 1 only is a guy. I doubt I will change James to be a girl. lol "James come here young lady!" ...The whole idea was earning styles over time and make him my Barbie doll :p (Should've named him Ken...)
    Either way, there are quite a few possible work arounds and as Panderus said- They are making styles cater to both genders too.
  17. The BlackDragon1 New Player

Now that you mentioned it, any chance we'll see some of the older styles that have gender specific variants available to other gender?
    Namely I'm talking about metalhead face piece, insectoid head, contemporary head piece, there might be more.
    • Like x 1
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I just want to say "wow."

Wow.
  19. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Wait... insectoid head is gender locked?!?!?!?

Also be fun to see stuff like Heart of the Predator on guy toons lol. I've also wondered why the female version of the Dresden 7 chest can't do emblems but the male version can.
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Some styles have a male and female variant.
    [IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 1