A "preview" system is needed for the materials !!!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aduzar Light, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I don't see how this can be impossible when both elements existed in the game...
  2. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

They always claim they dont have the tech for this and that but then claim dcuo is bringing in more money then ever
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Money does not make new tech suddenly appear from thin air.
    • Like x 3
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Materials are relatively new, first appearing in mid 2016. If they could figure out a way to enable material previews they would. They just do not have the means. Maybe someday in the future but not anytime soon.
    • Like x 1
  5. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

No means? Have you seen the figures announced on the gambling activity following the takeover? We have to stop finding this excuse, if there are still "DLC" and others and with all the vents for money, there are clearly the means to do it !!
  6. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Figures and Money don't mean anything when they are still working with unreal 3 in 2021, or do I have to remind you that they planned a UI Overhaul in 2014 that never came to fruition?

It's not an excuse, it's a case of some of yall needing to come with the concept that throwing money at the screen doesn't always end up getting you what you want; just ask all the dudes who've been asking for a graphics overhaul since the PS3 support wentdown lol.
    • Like x 3
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Money is neither the problem or the solution. Money does not write codes or develop UI updates.
    • Like x 4
  8. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

This seems to be a reoccurring pattern with this community. People jump to conclusions, or make excuses for the devs while the devs themselves stay very quiet on the subject. You couldn't convince those the people back then that there wouldn't be a graphics update when they dropped the ps3.
  9. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

If a house is built and you wanna add a room but there's no more room on the piece of land, you can't just magically get more space and build that room by throwing money at, no matter how much money it is. As I said I really want the preview feature for materials, too, but sometimes we have to be able to step back and understand something may not be possible. The devs aren't gods. They can't just do anything and everything because we want it enough. There's also the matter of just time. They have to work on and maintain and upkeep so many things. There's only so much time to do so. They can't always get to every little thing. Even if they worked 24/7 with no breaks or holidays and did not need to manage bodily functions. Sometimes they gotta pick their battles and tackle the bigger, more pressing and important issue with more impact.
    • Like x 1
  10. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

Do you want me to answer that honestly?
  11. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

You really couldn't and what's sad about that is for all the energy that went from this community about getting PS3 removed; you don't see that same level of activity towards getting something like Unreal engine 3 removed or replaced.

Back then it was all "PS3 needs to go, holding game back."

"PS3 needs to go, holding game back from those beautiful next gen graphics."

Yet... despite the fact that Unreal 3 is at least 2 years older than the PS3 and is still being used to this very day, I don't see any post telling the developers "Hey guys, Unreal 3 is holding the game back; yall need to drop it."

And on that note.. INB4 Obvious Post from somebody telling me that "writing the code from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4 or 5 would take time."
  12. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I see people talk about that a lot, though. I've seen it in the in game chats and in the Discord and such. And yes, the game and the companies involved have issues. No one here said they didn't have any, just that one quality of life feature isn't a huge deal or worth lynching them over. And vitriol does not help get it. We are simply saying we should be understanding of this particular thing in this particular instance, not that we shouldn't ever criticize them. Acknowledging that someone isn't at fault in a specific instance or not as much so as someone else is saying is not "making excuses" for them or their other issues. Stuff like this isn't so black and white. It's not just "they are entirely evil and everything we want that they can't give us for whatever reason is their fault and makes them evil" or "they are perfect angels and nothing is ever their fault and we must bow down at their feet for every little thing they do for us." There are things to holed them accountable for (and at various levels, it's not automatically the most extreme thing, some things can just be "hey, you oughta adjust this") and there are things to just understand and forgive and there are things to do a little bit of both with.
  13. Flemix Level 30

I find distasteful the notion that we shouldn't dare point out lacking areas and just be happy with what we get.
    A preview system is an absolutely legitimate request and the community should make their wishes as loud and clear as they can on such matters.
    Staying silent, dealing with it, letting it be, figuring work arounds only serves to make these irritants easily ignored, forgotten and build up to ultimately lesser the experience of us all, veterans and newcomers alike.
    The devs need our honest feedback to create an ever more enjoyable and successful game.

A silent community becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of frustrating bugs and sorely missed features.
    Yes we should be open to understand technical limitations but we should never presume of them as reasons to censor ourselves.
    If the case has been made for technical challenge let it be seen by those with valid complaints, not try to shut them down with mere speculation.
    In any case let the devs and producers be the judges of what they can and can't do.
    It is our responsibility to give them clear signals on what trouble our experience.
    If an issue doesn't bother you personally simply don't participate and let those concerned speak freely.
  14. Aesthete Well-Known Player

It's the engine being used. I honestly don't see how this game is going to make it another 10 years considering how many limiations are imposed on the game due to their outdated engine.
  15. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

This is not at all what I said. I just said we should consider stuff and be understanding and not be jerks about it. I literally said we should hold them accountable for stuff, just not go overboard or be overly confrontational, as that doesn't really help. Saying something like "we shouldn't kill people over stealing candy bars" is not the same as saying something like "we shouldn't do anything at all about theft." And I'm not trying to say we should just assume stuff can't be done, just that we should consider and acknowledge it could be the case and not just deny the possibility. We do not know if it is impossible, but we also don't know if it is possible. All I'm saying is to understand and consider it and try to see if it is possible before condemning them. I myself stated in my first comment on this thread how much I want this. Saying "let's check if it's possible" is not shutting it down, it's just considering a factor to the situation. I also never said it wasn't a legitimate request, just to not lose our heads over something we really don't need to.
  16. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Again, I really doubt whether the problem is "technical" or related to the game engine, since we already have a "preview" system and the materials in the game, if it's a problem related to that we simply wouldn't have had either, afterwards, I'm not an expert in the field, I grant that, but I really doubt that's the reason, the request in question is like a kind of "fusion".
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The preview system was created several years before materials were added to the game. The preview system is to view physical shapes (equipment, aura, skins) while materials are not physical shapes they are just flat textures.
    • Like x 1
  18. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

In recent years, I'm more inclined to think that Daybreak doesn't want to do much more for the game, apart from DLCs and the capsule, than to add new content unusual for the game or any ideas brought by players on the forum.

Well, for my part, this is how I feel...
  19. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

20. mouseymouse1976 Active Player

I usually try and find a video or I ask if anyone has it so can look at it.:)