Devs: Is DCUO finally becoming a F2P game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Yvtq8k3n The 7, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

I'm quite interested/happy with the current state of the game.
    DLCs all across the board are free and new ones are added to the list when a spotlight happens incentivacing members to close the DLC and alot of free players to try it out.

(In case its not possible to give a straight answer and abstract one would be appreciated)
    I saw alot of resistance to this kind of system from the community, but ins't this system way more engaging and ins't attracting more players?

I also saw alot of criticism about diminishing membership perks, like open DLCs, that would lead players to drop their membership, was it the case?

Is the current system a viable option DCUO could explore in the future?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The episodes may be open but the rewards still require an active membership or that you own the episode.
    • Like x 1
  3. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I think people put too much emphasis on the member and nonmember aspect of the game. There is really no such thing as free to play players after you hit lvl 30. That initial game play you do is basically an awesome free demo of the game, but there is no way you are playing the game to lvl your guy up to end game status and not buy base generators or more powers at a minimum. Once you break the seal of spending any money, you’re going to eventually buy more. I started buying stuff instead of membership because I didn’t like the thought of taking a break from the game and coming back casually without having all my stuff. I can drop in and out regardless of my member status. Open episodes is a good thing for the whole community because you can’t play the content if a large group doesn’t have access to it. However, members should feel their membership is worth it. I think the best thing they could do to make members feel its worth it is to make the artifact situation drastically easier. A member shouldn’t have to pay to lvl them. I think members should have a permanent unbreakable seal that is with them as long as they are members.
    • Like x 3
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

...in what way?
  5. Zamara Dedicated Player

The only thing that has been locked from open episodes has always been the owner treasure boxes that drop at the end of every instance past a certain episode, think it was on deluge when they started dropping? or earth 3 not sure.. but personally those seemed like they were intended to be left out of the open episodes bonus bc they're the one incentive to buy the corresponding episodes when we have the event versions out so it made sense for them to stay locked when the episode was opened.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Is the best vendor gear/elite gear available with the open episodes?
    • Like x 1
  7. TomShepard Active Player

"Is DCUO finally becoming a F2P game?"

Best.Joke.EVER.

You should try to be a comedian,you have great jokes Bud :D
    • Like x 4
  8. Shazam Well-Known Player

and they quickly stopped doing those chests..
  9. Draconiano Committed Player

The only difference is loot lock times (alerts are weekly and raids reset every 2 weeks) and as Zamara said, you can't open Treasure Boxes if there is one. But you can buy anything from the vendor, everything else is the same.
    Don't get mixed up with the latest DLC that there are only event modes and you can only buy useless purple gear from the vendor.
    • Like x 1
  10. Zamara Dedicated Player

Not exactly, pretty sure those chests still drop from the BOP content which was like 2 episodes ago
  11. Zamara Dedicated Player

You can even buy the elite weapons from the wonderverse episode (which are also 50% off rn or 75% off if you already had one)
  12. zNot Loyal Player

It feels like theres not much reasons to subscribe with so many free2play benefits and open episodes,i have no issues with open episodes it increases open world population on those episodes but whats the point of being a member?

I thought one of the main reasons to be member was to have acces to the DLC/episode content.
    • Like x 1
  13. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

I am sooo with you on this one! Over the years I've watched as the member benefits have dwindled down to almost nothing different between them and F2P. I agree . Why pay when you can have it all for free? I mean I'm not cancelling any of my accs. ( 5 in all since game dropped ) What makes it special anymore for members when you can just play it all for free?
    • Like x 2
  14. Shazam Well-Known Player

This is true. I did like the idea of them, hopefully they come back.
  15. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Pour ma part, je trouve la formule de DCUO très insultante pour les joueurs qui ont passé des années et des années à jouer au jeu, grâce à leurs efforts pour faire avancer les choses, maintenant Daybreak permet aux nouveaux joueurs de tout obtenir en un instant. d'une carte de crédit, ainsi que la facilité offerte pour passer à travers les DLC's à une vitesse fulgurante, vous vous demandez pourquoi continuer à vous abonner?
    Enfin, acheter une chose si et quand, suffit pour suivre les anciens, je trouve cela vraiment irrespectueux envers les joueurs de longue date et abonnés, de plus au vu de la rentabilité de l'abonnement celui-ci est vraiment léger ...
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think that the access to the episodes is one of the lesser 'benefits', as many times getting in those episodes is hard...member or otherwise...due to the low pop running them. Full open eps does mean more bodies in the content. More people running the content means more people likely to stick around and invest in their characters, which makes DBG money (either more Inv/bank slots, feature purchases, seals, XP, whatever), which in the end is good for everyone as a healthier playerbase makes the game stronger.

Now...should something else be added to membership to replace that loss? Sure. Again, most have suggested some sort of seal, xp or other 'valuable' drop vs things like another promethium box type reward which has limited value already. Heck, even just adding a seal to the Promethium lockbox table would be a good 'member' value.

Don't forget too, the open eps if kept in their current state, the loot locks are extended so (except solos/OW stuff), there is a drawback to not subbing/buying an ep or an advantage to membership. Slight maybe, but it's still there.

Full disclosure, I do run premium/free in addition to my member account, so yeah...I'd benefit, but I am looking at it from the member angle too, and as a member I like being able to get a group together to get into old content if I want it....as of right now there are more people to get in...period. I also feel that the episode access is one of the smallest features of my membership. Now...if they add AdjustableQueueSize...I might change my mind, but as it stands now, most of those eps are dead again once free eps are gone.
  17. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

In my opinion. This game is part of a business and like any business there need to be ways to make money. Also, some of the complaints I’ve heard most often are lockboxes and time capsules. They at least offer the ability to buy lockbox keys and earn time capsule keys for nonmembers. Some of the other MMOs I play don’t offer the ability to earn or buy keys if you’re not a member.
    basically what i mean is. I feel there’s a good balance between acknowledging this is still a business while also giving a few perks to nonmembers.
  18. SekretVillain Loyal Player

You cant buy vendor gear without owning DLC or legendary for example, you wont get quintile crystals either. I only know this because for the first 4 days of the legion DLC I didnt own it as premium so I was buying the 2 purple sets.
    • Like x 1
  19. Kuno Loyal Player

Are you being ironic? You suppose to know how things work around lol
    You can't buy best gear in vendor unless you subscribe to the game. You gain the marks and the rewards but can't spend it on the higher cr gear.
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

This is only true of the episodes NOT included in open eps. In open eps (like WV now), you can buy all gear, including elite, and the drops are the same. The only caveat for the open eps is the end of run treasure boxes that stopped with WV. Well that and the extended lockouts for on duty runs (except solos).

Legion is not in open eps, so it's not a proper example of the differences between having and not having membership/owning an ep...and playing open eps only.
    • Like x 1