I'm CR 212 and I don't know what I am doing.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by 123riderkick, Dec 3, 2020.

1. 123riderkick New Player

I don't understand how to not die instantly I only got to CR 212 by paying money and getting to CR 100+. Otherwise I am completely lost everyone seems to be dealing more damage and surviving and I just am bringing everyone down by sucking. I am really overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to know to be better. When I started out my character was able to have an effect of the enemies but now it's like hitting a brick wall that one shots you... Is there a meta you have to go by to be good or can you just use the powers you like? Can someone help I am ju see t overwhelmed. I can play hard games like dark souls and code vein and whoop butt. This game just feels like its press all the buttons dodge block when you should but still die for whatever reason.
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Hard to tell without knowing what you are doing.

I have a few videos explaining the game to new players.
    Here is a free sample. ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. inferno Loyal Player

That a whole lot of stuff in that question of yours that a good league mate can help you or a friend in the game. Finding a good, helpful league would be my best advice.

BUT that will take time. How long have you been playing OR how long since you left the level 1-30 missions.

So, First lets address your stats. To make sure you have enough stats for survivability within the content, go to Legion open world. This will boost your stats to more than enough to survive groups of ads. The only things that can one-shot you there are the bounties.

If you are dying in the Open World by ad attacks, then you need to examine your rotation. You didn't state your Power or rotation. I would suggest go to Youtube and search for Obsidian Chill's videos. He has a rotation video for every Power. You can copy his rotation for now to get confident then as you get better start experimenting. You can ask better, more concise questions as you get more experience. This is the easiest method of finding out why you're dying so much or dealing less damage.

If being the highest damage is not the concern for now, put on your power's shield and the HL shield for protection or until you don't die so much.

If you move on to instances, try the event version for now to get used to the map, ads and bosses. Just know that the event versions are fairly easy compared to regular and elite.

If you go into regular and elite versions then we need more information from you. Are you in there with a Healer and/or tank? Are you lucky enough to get into a instance with full roles? What kind of plater are you? Do you go ahead of the tank? Do you keep an eye on your health and healer to make sure he has enough power to heal and adjust your attack accordingly? This is where it would really help you to get a friend in game.
  4. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Is your armor equipped? Do you have soders for health? Have you spent all you skill points? Where are you dying at? Try to take a screen shot of your inventory screen and load out and I’m sure a ton of people can help you. This forum is a huge help for starting out.
    • Like x 2
  5. 123riderkick New Player

Well so far I am using earth to buff my melee and for protection purposes. I like the hammer fist too. I don't seem to do much damage compared to others in my tier. I do prec based damage. I guess I need a dummy's guide or something or a real mentor.
  6. zNot Loyal Player

You are melee dps? On raids? Thats probably why you die. Damage these is mostly effected by artifacts. Which ones do you use and at what rank
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Hi. A few details could help us point you in the right direction:
    You mentioned you were Earth, are you primarily in Tank role, Damage role or do you do both? Is your equipped gear for Damage role or Tank role, or do you collect sets of gear for both roles?

Which Artifacts are you using? What are their ranks? What Augments are you using? What are their ranks?

How many Skill Points do you have?
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

There are a bazillion YouTube guides and tutorials, though you need to be very careful to largely pay attention only to those done in the past six months or they're apt to be out of date with now-bad information.

There are also some excellent websites you can google for ("dc universe online game"), with the same caution about being recent.

Lastly, there's an entire forum here devoted to posting guides ("Oracle's Database"): https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/oracle’s-database-guides.16/

I hope those may be helpful to you.

My best short advice is: find a good league, make friends, and get tutorials while you play.
  9. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

If you want advice, please give the following, if you'd be so kind:

1. Your individual stats for Might, Precision, Power, etc.

2. Your artifact and augment stats.

3. The level of your gear pieces. Are they all for DPS?

5. What amount of Skill Points have you allocated to which category? Are you using superpower-based, weapons-based, or hybrid?

6. Are you using all of your Base Generator mods and are they all fully powered? How about the C and Ds? Are you in a league with full stat boosts?

7. Loadout.

That would be a start.
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

That's a meaningless answer. It's also contradictory to be Might based and yet primarily using your weapon. Might is what powers superpowers (only). Precision is what powers weapon hits (primarily; there are some exceptions I won't go into).

If you want to primarily use your weapon, you should be weapons-based in your one-of-three basic SP categories, and be specced primarily into Precision after you fill out your Crit stats.

Or if you want to use your powers, spec into Might.

But speccing into Might while using a weapon means you've given zero power to your weapon attacks and your Might is going completely unused. So if that's the case, that's one huge problem easily fixed.

Which Earth powers are you using, specifically, on your powers bar?; what's your full loadout and rotation?

You also want to pretty much keep your SP (Skill Points) at at least about the level of your CR (twice that is better, but not a necessity by any means). That tends to be the Number One error of noobs: frantically chasing gear stats while ignoring SP. (To be sure, SP matters less than it did before Augments and Artifacts, but still.)

So do all the easy feats to build SP: that'll keep you busy for quite some time to come.
  11. Brit Loyal Player

A few things of note. First of all, it's almost impossible to learn how to play before the CR250ish range these days. Anything you queue for, there is a high likelihood of having a player there significantly higher level than you melting through everything, to the point where you can't tell if what you are doing is right or wrong because they're basically soloing stuff.

Second, the scoreboard is not a good indicator of your skills, because even if you are doing everything right, if you are 212 and the rest of the group is in the 300+ range with high tier artifacts, they are going to be dramatically outperforming you. You can only really gauge how you're doing against similar players. And until you get higher level, there won't be many of those.

Third, mechanics matter. Leveling can be exceptionally challenging when you find yourself walking into new content you've never run before, with no idea what you're doing, and then advancing past it before you ever truly get comfortable with it. I thoroughly recommend focusing on the Event versions of the Legionaire content, so that you can consistantly be running the same thing, that way you can start to learn the mechanics. The more you know about the fights, the less often you will see those big one-shot kills. We have all had points when we were new to content and had to ask ourselves "What just killed me?" I must have died to Cosmic Boy's metal projectile ball 3-4 times before I was finally able to figure out what I was watching for. Once I learned what was happening though, it became easy to avoid. You want to learn the fights, and that only comes through experience. You can be great at playing your powerset and role, but if you can't adapt to the mechanics of the individual fights, you will end up dead.

Last, if you doubt your power rotation, I recommend ObsidianChill's guide on Youtube as a good starting place. I do not recommend people simply clone his builds and accept that as the best. But it is an excellent starting point, that can then be adapted based on the way you are running content. If you are using the random queue, you probably want a Personal Shield, for example. If you aren't working as a part of a dedicated group, then assume that your Controller is probably going to go that "Buff Troll" concept and will generate a much lower power out, so you cannot use power-heavy rotations. You'll have to make changes based on what you're running and who you're running with. But Chill gives a great breakdown that makes for a solid starting platform.
    • Like x 2
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Don't worry about making mistakes.

My recommendation would be do the event DLC bounties to get gear and run the event content every day. You will get better.

Also, asking for help in game does make a difference.
  13. inferno Loyal Player

This really answers a lot. I had to look up Hammer fist to see what it was. The range of this weapon is extremely close and the damage is average to below average.

Decide first if you want to do Precision or might or even a combination ( which is actually good that your earth). For now, I would suggest going range. It's been adjusted but bow and dual wield mastery of Flurry shot mastery and explosive shot mastery offers a good single AND group weapon attacks. Put Brick in, load Fortify Golem, Debris Field and Reinforce. Put in a shield and you're good to go.
  14. 123riderkick New Player

Health: 28556
    Power: 14495
    Defense: 13903
    Might: 12317
    Precision: 7495
    Toughness: 2500
    Dominace: 659
    Weapon DPS: 3323

Focus: Weapons Expert
    CR AC: 20
    CR AD: 40
    Prec: 12/285

Power: Earth

Artifact ...which I didn't understand is called a
    "cog of Mageddon" Rank 29

I use brawling.

I use Gemstone Sheild for Defense for a short time
    Reinforce for a melee buff
    Soothing sands for a defense against control effects
    and Jack Hammer cause it's cool lol. I want to do good weapon dps while being tanky I think I have done this all wrong... thanks for all the help. My Character is based on Atlas in Greek mythology his name is Atlad. He is like a wonder boy with a twist.
    • Like x 1
  15. 123riderkick New Player

The only problem is that I had an idea of who I wanted him to be and how he would fight so giving him a bow would take me out of his character. I wish there were more of a balance. Bows are faster and do more damage however brawling is slower and does less. Where is the risk and reward? I digress thanks for the help though I am sure there is a way to be better just not the best while staying true the the role play.
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

The differences between different weapons and different powersets are, contrary to the impression you'll get from many, really quite marginal.

Unless you're a top player competing with other top players, the differences in player skills and experience will dwarf the minor advantages in some situations of some weapons and powers.

Until you get to the top 5%, or at least 10-20%, of players in skills, I wouldn't bother worrying that you have a "bad power" or a "weak weapon," no matter how many other people insist that you have to use the flavor of the month. Just my opinion (after playing for almost ten years).

The best way to play is the way you have the most fun. That's what it's all about.
    • Like x 1
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

You have three artifact slots; use them all. (To be sure, you run into the monetary issue of having to buy seals and that accumulating enough nth metal without spending some money will take a very long time. Sorry about that.)

Generally you'll probably want your artifacts up to at least 150. 180 or 200 is obviously better, but isn't always significantly so. I'll join in recommending ObsidianChill's YouTube videos comparing artifacts. Not that you should take them as complete gospel, but they're an excellent starting place to deciding which artifacts to choose rank, and which are okay to leave at 160 and which are worth going up to 180 or 200 with.

You also want to rank up your Augments: both the DLC specific kind, and the always-there kind. Pick either Precision or Might depending on your style. Or mix them if you really know what you're doing.

Hmm, you have... an SP of 72? That's a serious problem.

You kind of want to get that up above 400 to play endgame. Or at least 200+, minimum. (Though people will argue about how much SP is worth now compared to artifacts/augments/gear.)

This is the main problem with the CR skip: it leaves people with a reasonably high CR but hardly any SP. It's also terrible to use if you're not using it only for an alt after years of game experience, because it leaves you in the position you're in: high CR and no idea what you're doing. (No offense intended; this is a problem caused by the game/CR skip and is not your fault.)

The result i that endgame is filled with noobs not knowing what they're doing. It makes for a lot of friction. :-(

But practice helps.
    • Like x 1
  18. 123riderkick New Player

It's ok I have time and I enjoy playing. I really appreciate your help and I will watch Obsidians videos to get a better idea.
    • Like x 1
  19. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

As you level up, you want to have your skill points within 10% plus or minus your Combat rating. You should look to place 100 into your primary stat in order to max out on the percentage increase. (after 100 the stat increase is incremental). Then 100 in health for the same reason. Look to percentage bonuses as opposed to raw numbers.

You can compensate for your lack of SP until then by making use of buff sodas like Nitro for Might or Flex for precision.

Make sure you have tactical mods in all the gear that you have slots for.
  20. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Artifacts don’t really do anything until you get them to lvl 80. So I would try to get three artifacts that help precision if you really want to stay a brawler then just put all your source marks into lvling them and do not waste currency on gear until they are all lvl 80. I have actually tried the combination of character you’re trying to make with my Doomsday guy. I struggled to do much damage with my fists alone. Be sure to take the time and read what is on the artifacts and your powers. Switching roles will change your stats and what your powers do. Once you figure the game out it’s fun but it takes forever because it doesn’t give a lot of in game instruction like most console games you can just flip on and figure out in a week.