Enad Global 7 purchases Daybreak Games.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Dec 1, 2020.

1. BumblingB I got better.

2. EconoKnight XIII Legion

• Like x 4
  3. zNot Loyal Player

4. BumblingB I got better.

They are buying the entire company. It's like when Columbus Nova Jason Epstein bought SOE from Sony a few years ago.

Purchases like this usually mean they want one thing and buy the whole company for it. They are paying 300 mil cash for Daybreak Games. This isn't a small investment, they wanted LotR and DCUO and included EQ.
    • Like x 3
  5. EconoKnight XIII Legion

It’s mean they’re buying Daybreak - DCUO and all
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

It means Daybreak and all its assets have been bought.

Do yes, in a way DCUO has been purchased, what this means for its future is anyone's guess, in the immediate short term probably no impact, but I'd expect too see structural changes within Daybreak within the next 12 months.

This will inevitably also likely bring some change in vision and direction to the game depending on how it all shakes out as the new owners will have a different vision for the products as well which will inevtiably flow through.
    • Like x 6
  7. zNot Loyal Player

Wow! Thats big news
    • Like x 1
  8. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

9. Draconiano Committed Player

Whatever, it can't become more pay to win than it is, right? RIGHT??
    • Like x 6
  10. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It confirms that DCUO is not financially struggling basically. The purchase is strong because it's considered a stable income generator for DB. It also suggests that they consider DCUO's players a loyal fan following that will support the game regardless of any direction it goes in -- which is not really great for the community since players lose negotiating leverage for the types of content they want if that's the case.

We already knew DCUO would continue episodic content releases so it doesn't confirm much in that regard. What most players would be interested in, is if this signals any shift in direction that would lead to reinvestment into parts of gameplay that players are most interested in, which the current Dev team has expressed little interest in (like PVP, new powers, weapons, etc). It's possible but highly unlikely. The game is probably going to be expected to operate business-as-usual without taking any risks or doing anything beyond maintain its steady income stream.
    • Like x 3
  11. zNot Loyal Player

How much influence does Daybreak have over the amount and which type of content/episode we get?
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Most likely, it will be like the last time it was bought, layoffs of some high level executives maybe some downsizing. Nothing that will affect game development or players.
    • Like x 2
  13. Jcal Dedicated Player

Well look at that. We are witnessing another one of these. Jesus, who would have thought?
  14. BumblingB I got better.

I didn't expect to see a pandemic in my lifetime, so anything is possible. It's 2020!:D
    • Like x 1
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Daybreak are the ultimate company, they probably let the individual game developers have a level of autonomy, but Daybreak and Dimensional Ink aren't really seperate entities they're really just layers of an onion.

You could therefore argue, Daybreak technically have all the influence.

In terms of how that translates to an ownership change, it probably doesn't mean anything, it'll be status quo, Dimensional Ink will continue to do what it already does.

However in time you might see changes to how the business is structured, how many managers there are etc.

Usually companies will try to streamline assets upon purchase and make them more efficient, when restructures like that occur, middle management is usually the worst place to be.

None of this will likely have any impact on you as the player, you probably won't even notice short of the game failing and dying.

What may also occur is a change in personnel which may result in some changes in vision or direction in the game, you might also find they choose to invest resources in the game, perhaps more devs, that sort of thing.

But i wouldn't assume anything, it's just one of those things you have to watch play out.
    • Like x 3
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think as long as DCUO was one of the things that was the 'want' in the package, it's good. It sounds like that's the case. If they touted how excited they were for EverQuest and Planetside...I'd be more worried.

Also, I'd look at their other games to see how they run. Are they heavier on loot boxes and other 'micro' transactions than we already are? If so it could translate to something we'd see here....which would not be a change for the better.

Now...we just need Sony to buy Enad Global 7....They'd be like "we got WHAT back?"
    • Like x 6
  17. Hraesvelg Always Right

At least this new company, Enad Global 7, seems to be a company that's focused on gaming and not the previous Epstein/Columbus Nova group. A gaming-specific investment group seems much more tailored to making a good game instead of just extracting a return on investment for the sake of it. A blurb I found about them (formerly Toadman Interactive):

EG7 is a group of companies within the gaming industry that develops, markets, publishes and distributes PC, console and mobile games to the global gaming market. The company employs 100+ game developers and develops its own original IP:s, as well as act as consultants to other publishers around the world through its game development divisions Toadman Studios and Antimatter Games. In addition, the group's marketing department Petrol has contributed to the release of 1,500+ titles, of which many are world famous brands such as Call of Duty, Destiny, Dark Souls and Rage. The group's publishing and distribution department Sold Out holds expertise in both physical and digital publishing and has previously worked with Team 17, Rebellion and Frontier Developments. The Group is headquartered in Stockholm with 200 employees in 8 offices worldwide.
    • Like x 7
  18. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This is a point I forgot to make that I agree with.

While it's premature to speculate on any shift in direction, it's still generally more desirable to have an actual gaming company buy a developer than an investment firm. The latter is only interested in generating revenue typically and has no interest in quality gameplay while the former does have an interest in creating a quality product and gaming experience.
    • Like x 1
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'm very optimistic about this.
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Although I appreciate the sentiment here, I don't entirely agree, this company appears to be a publically listed company with shares.

This means you've got expectations to make ever increasing profits and subsequently returns to share holders.

Looking at their board of directors they're middle aged heavily invested business men.

I'm not saying they won't desire to make a quality product, but I think it's a massive mistake to assume they'll just throw money at the game to improve quality any more than an investment company would, simply on the basis they're a more traditional video game investor.
    • Like x 1