[Feedback] Long Live the Legion

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLorax, Nov 19, 2020.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Most of my feedback is for the open world content so I'll briefly go over my opinion on the On Duty content.

Legion: HQ Orientation
    Overall I found this was a fun and well paced alert. The cutscenes were brief. I love that the evaluation warmup is quick, fun and mostly optional. Minimal mob fights are a plus and both boss fights are entertaining without being too drawn out. Thank you for bringing back elite alerts!

Legion: Convergence of Unmaking
    I also found this raid fun and well paced. My only gripe with this raid is the visibility during the Shadow of Trigon fight. The Hell Flames attack (AoE?) is most times invisible. There is also a seemingly invisible one-shot during this fight, I'm not sure if this is from Trigon himself or from the tentacles? There is no apparent 'tell' that I can see, someone will always just instantly drop.

31st Century: New Earth
    First things first.
    [IMG]
    The sky looks so empty.

[IMG]
    I know this has been brought up in the past and I would like to reiterate that the icons should reflect which vendor sells what so they can be easily identified at a glance.

I like the current approach with daily content, quick to complete and less running around hunting for the objectives.

The Cosmic Boy fight in the open world is disappointing compared to fighting him in the alert. He can be burned down before the Emerald Eye of Ekron does its big attack, which is ironically the most interesting part of that fight other than getting hit by a fire truck. The fight overall feels like a quick warmup and I hope that wasn't the expectation. [Suggestions]: Put his encasement and other crowd control abilities from the alert into the open world fight. Add his shield ability in with the large magnets needed to take it down. Speed up the time it takes OR increase the amount of times EEE can perform its big attack.

The Saturn Girl fight is sinister and perfect, do not change anything!

The Lightning Lad fight while more interesting than Cosmic Boy, also disappointing. Also the visibility during this fight is awful with constant screen glitches and near invisible enemies. The Lightning Elementals in particular are extremely difficult to see and at some times are invisible. Very few people notice them at all or notice that Lightning Lad is healing and they get lost into the crowd of floating enchanted weapons. FF 00:30

The giant grid is highly unnecessary when Lightning Lad always moves to the center. The fight always looks something like this:
    [IMG]
    No one moves or has need to move beyond the inner four squares. I feel the charge mechanic that gets placed on you should be more deadly than what it does currently (for example charges could stack, higher stacks = greater DoT, max stack = KO). Make us want to seek out those blue squares.

I wouldn't change anything with the Validus fight except maybe step the danger up a notch. He is significantly easier than Hydra and I have mixed feelings about that because fighting the Hydra was a nightmare with the wrong group. There's nothing about this fight in particular I would want to see added or adjusted.

Overall I think the time to complete a round of bounties should be decreased from 30 minutes to 20 minutes. The wait times in between some of the fights are too long and I see multiple people just AFK from either falling asleep or losing interest. I can personally confirm I have at times just completely zoned out while waiting for someone to spawn.
    • Like x 3
  2. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Good summary
    I agree with most so will only
    Comment where i disagree (thats always more fun anyway rite lol?)

Valdus fight:
    1) The eye should spawn after we KO the 3 sub-bosses (yes i onow we dont actually KO them)
    2) We should be able to KO the sub-bosses (i dont see the poi tin them bubbling then re-entering etc
    3) Validus needs more and/or stronger atks.

Cosmic boy fight (bounty)
    1) i agree it should be harder, i also think it was intensionally easier. I think these bounties r supposed to be a ramp rather than linear

Lightning lad fight (bounty)
    1) more adds and/or mechanics (guess we sorta agree here then haha)

Elite alert
    1) well done
    2) should drop 75 renown not 50. 1st boss worth 25 an 2nd worth 50
    3) instead of the adds spawning 2 at a time (and in random combos), make it harder by beginning the fight with all 4 spawning or spawning after the 1st min or damage point is met. Once we kill em we r “clear” to focus on boss.

Raid
    1) too short for my taste
    2) havent built a competant enough group yet to make it through elite yet due to the random 1-shots as said above. I cant see the tell much less even know what it is. I am NOT a fan of the text dumbing it down BUT there should be an animation we must learn to know the tells an be able to see it coming to react

My larger quams and what i feel are the real issues, i feel like based on the OP dont apply here so i will leave that at that unless others bring it up
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It makes sense the way it is now. Emerald Empress is using the Eye to control the Legionaires. She uses the Legionaires to break open the prison and stop us. We break the Eye to break her control on them. She flees, leaving us all to fight Validus. The Legionaires aid us in putting Validus back in his prison.

If it were flipped to your idea it wouldn't make sense story wise.
    • Like x 1
  4. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I appreciate this summary and agree with a lot of it.

I have not ran the raid so no comments on that.

Honestly, since we didn't get much instanced content, I actually would have prefered a longer alert. That said, not sure how long the raid is. But I did enjoy the alert. I like the cutscenes, and I had fun throughout the entire alert.

I have mixed opinions about the open world. I think the buildings are really nice and I think the open world dailies are solid too.

Lightning Lad's fight has effects that are hard to see. Cosmic Boy is extremely basic and almost feels like an afterthought. Not too bothered by this though since he at least appears as a boss in the alert.

Saturn Girl is good. Do all Titans fight alongside us against her? I've only noticed Beast Boy, Nightwing, Jericho, and Damian. Seeing Starfire, Cyborg, or Raven would be cool.

As for the overall design of the open world, I think it could be improved. It's not as corridor-y as Patchwork, which I like, but the ceiling is too low! It's just annoying trying to explore with such low ceilings. We don't even get to explore a large chunk of the 31st century city, so I think a higher ceiling would have been nice. At least we would have been able to get a better view of the rest of the city that is blocked off. I also feel like the open world was built around the bounties, and not the other way around. Each landmark is only relevant because of a bounty. It may be convenient, but I think it's kinda boring. I also think that the city in general is boring. No vehicles, low population. Has crime been eradicated? If not then I think seeing thugs like we normally do in Metropolis could be a cool addition for a more lively feel.

Overall, I feel like the open world is very pretty, but it feels restrictive (low ceiling, moderate size compared to other open worlds), and not lively enough. Almost feels like a raid but with open world dailies.

I think the gear is well designed.
  5. Miike Fury Well-Known Player

the one shot in the raid does in fact have a tell...not only does he have a skull on his head, but it is actually the Solar Flare combo from the handblasters. the ball itself is the one shot.

Usually following the fire pit on the floor (also a skull)
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I saw it today in a feat run, you can 100% block it but it's still difficult to gauge when everything is flashing around Trigon.
  7. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Theres a story here? JK of course but yes, story is always 0 consideration. I have almost never heard any NPC say anything nor have really ever read much of anything. Story means nothing to me here. Its the game play. The gameplay itself is not better nor worse with ot w/out the story.
    I hack-n-slash as best i can. Why im doing it has nothing to do with the story :)
    • Like x 1
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Yes. Yes, yes, YES!

It's not important to fights or combat or missions, granted.

But it is SO IMMERSION-BREAKING to not even be able to GO TO THE TOP OF A BUILDING.

I can fly, but not as high as a not terribly high building? How is that explainable?

This constant head-bumping just completely throws me out of the story when it's the case. Atlantis was about 50% of what it should have been for me because of this. The Legion is even worse: the Legionnaires are so powerless that even their most basic function, flight rings, DON'T WORK. You kinda can't ruin the flavor of the LSH worse than that.

I realize that the devs focus understandably on functionality and less on aesthetics or immersiveness, but I can't overstate how much the "you can't even fly to tthe top of a building because... reasons" factor seriously ruins my enjoyment of an "open air" environment.

I mean, YOU CAN'T EVEN FLY TO THE TOPS OF BUILDINGS. That's just crazy.

I'm sure there are innumerable players this does not bother.

I am not one of them.

One of the joys of the game for me was and still is being able to fly breath-takingly high in original Gotham and Metropolis. I've been known to sign into the game just to spend a bunch of time flying high in the sky, relaxing and being a tourist.

I'm sure there's some technical reason why flying so high became verboten, but did I mention how totally immersion-killing it is for me? I can't be emphatic enough in saying how seriously this kills my enjoyment of the game in so many "open air" settings in the modern game.

Maybe it's just that way for a few of us, to be sure.
    • Like x 3
  9. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

EXACTLY how I feel, thank you!
    • Like x 1
  10. Imaginos Dedicated Player

Agreed. To me this is just yet another repeat of the disappointment with Central City. 4 blocks of pretty much nothing and the new 31st century city is the same kind of thing.
    • No one going about daily chores & errands
    • No air traffic above the city in their fancy flying cars
    • Can't fly to the top of buildings.
    • The CORE thing ALL legionaries get is the Flight Ring. IMO something like that should have been buy-able off the vendors after you do their orientation run and become a reserve-style member or whatever they call it.
    Sigh.
  11. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

IMO the raid is fun, if a bit on the short side.

One of the better alerts with interesting mechanics (especially in Elite)

The Bounties are engaging and require a bit more awareness than in Wonderverse, so I give them a qualified thumbs up

My only real disappointment is the lack of a solo and/or duo. IMO this really is a glaring omission and the only thing that keeps this DLC from being among the top five.
  12. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Imo wonderverse bounties posed a bigger threat then 31st century bounties do. That's feedback from day 1 of DLC and based off playing yesterday of bounties. No bounty in 31st is a threat, at least not like patchwork.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, after being full gear 316 last DLC and still being treated like I'm entry CR in those fights it's nice not being push around even at entry level, so once your cr326 or higher you wont have anything really to worry about.