Let's talk about seals again

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLQ-DCUO, Nov 14, 2020.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Seals of Preservation.

Is there any way of making them in-game account bound loot drops? A similar rarity to the Exceptional Recovery Kits, maybe a little more common as they would be account bound. They could typically drop from the last boss of any recent instanced content.

For example on last boss Fractured God Sphere, you have a chance to get a Seal of Preservation in the loot.

I know of several players who would like to return to DCUO but won't because you have to buy seals off the Marketplace to have good artifacts to be competitive in DCUO in 2020, in most cases.

Plus you have several artifacts released every episode, this would help in this case as well.

Furthermore, you could have bonus weeks where the chance of 1 or more Seal of Preservation from instanced content could increase.

There should not be a paywall for levelling items that increase your damage, power, healing out etc. to be competitive in content.

Metas change every so often as well so if players change artifacts, having an in-game way of getting Seals of Preservation would be most helpful.

Also please can we see the return of bonus weeks with a free unstable seal of completion? Seems to have been a while since we had one of those.
    • Like x 16
  2. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Seals are not just for artifacts. Don't forget that every episode we get new augments with terrible breakthrough rates, and getting catalyst for those is more annoying. There needs to be a way of acquiring seals through gameplay, indeed.
    • Like x 11
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Seals need to drop in game. It's sad that they don't. Completely MP related. :(
    • Like x 10
  4. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

In-game drops or purchasable with Quarks.
    • Like x 5
  5. Cordelia Well-Known Player

I'll add my vote to having seals drop in game or be purchasable with in-game currency. I don't mind if they are a fairly rare drop, I just want there to be an in-game way to get them. I want to play the game to improve my character, not pay extra money beyond my subscription.
    • Like x 4
  6. Charon Lead Content Designer

Good ideas. I'll float it up and see if it gets some traction next year if not the rest of this one.
    • Like x 18
  7. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

I agree with in-game drops and quarks and/or in-game currency.
    • Like x 1
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Years ago people were asking to make seals as loot drops in older content to add some incentive of running them.

Definitely wouldn't hold my breath on this, especially if seals are a big money maker for them.
    • Like x 4
  9. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

It really shouldnt be that hard to implement and add them to the quarks vendor.

Loyalty points 4 SoPs for 400 loyalty points. SoC I think is 500 loyalty points. Membership costs $15 a month, $39 quarterly, $72 bi-monthly and $120 a year. I pretty much use my loyalty points on a 4 pack of SoP and an occasional SoC. Thats (15) 4 packs of SoC or 12 SoC or however a player wants to loyalty point swap for with these.

Quark vendor price on SoP, Imo, should be 100 quarks and an SoC 500 quarks. If your quark rng luck is bad, you'll get a minimum of 10 quarks per TC equaling 10 bucks spent for one SoP. This cost will go down if you get 12, 37, 100+ quarks etc. Same math applies to the SoC with a greater cost.

We are talking "gifted" loyalty points with membership (still a purchase) vs time capsule purchases for quarks. Comparing loyalty points cost to TC purchase. The money is spent already spent in regards to TC money and membership money.

A 4 pack of SoP is 180 mc cash w/membership discount. SoC is 450 mc cash with/membership discount.

So it should be reasonable to quark an SoP at 100 quarks and 500 quarks for an SoC.

I have 28k quarks at the moment (would be closer to 35k if I didnt buy the stealth mat and gear boxes). Sure would like to start burning through them.
  10. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Seals of preservation are different though since a lot of people just advance through the earlier levels without a seal, and just buy completions when the percentages are lower. Even if they do lose something from making preservations appear on the loot table, they can gain it back via the same loot table since people will use replay badges to farm preservation drops
  11. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Adding them to the quark vendor is a great idea, they could add completions there too
    • Like x 1
  12. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Thank you Charon! Thank you also for replying on a Saturday as well :) You're doing a great job
    • Like x 1
  13. Zamara Dedicated Player

Remember when they had them as random drops from time capsules?
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Still do for the Kryptonian TC.
    • Like x 4
  15. Heywiar Committed Player

I really appreciate your reply! Please do...this is one of the bigger complaints in the community. It makes the levelling system extremely unappealing.
  16. NetworkOrBotnetGoodOrEvil Level 30

I uh...

Yeah, I'm sorry but if we're seriously going to have a discussion about this then I need to speak up.

I think Seals of Preservation AND Completion should drop and definitely at a frequent rate at that! It's indefensible that they do not even have a faint chance of dropping.

As someone who's looking to get back into DCUO and starting completely fresh in 2020, I would LOVE to work towards getting the artifacts for my roles. I understand people have invested lots of money into their artifacts but just because they did doesn't make these exorbitant prices okay for everyone else to put up with. And to top it off, I just failed today with a 95% success rate.

The system needs to be more approachable.

EDIT: I just wanna make it clear, I appreciate the dev response and OP as well!
  17. Charon Lead Content Designer

Let's keep this thread on topic please.
    • Like x 7
  18. Templeton Active Player

If only you made Seals of Completion sell as 2 for 5$ (instead of 1 for 5$ as it is right now) it would mean the world to anybody I guarantee. But 5$ for nearly 4 breakthroughts? It's too much. And yes, 140 breakthrough chance is a lot lower than it appears. Other than that, I too agree on having a way to get Seals of Preservation in game, so long as it's not some dirty dirty grind that makes it nearly impossible to get if you're a normal human being that has a real life outside the game.
    • Like x 1
  19. Tygerfyre Committed Player

Alternatively, how about simply adjusting (or eliminating) the failure rates on breakthroughs?

It's hard enough simply gathering the needed catalysts for these. We shouldn't have to also worry that the RNG is going to render all that work moot. Personally, I'd like to see failures go away altogether, but I suspect that's way too much to ask. But how about smoothing it out so that the minimum rate of success/failure is 50%, with corresponding adjustments so that as we go from low levels to higher levels, the success chance drops 5% each time, not 20% or whatever it is now.
    • Like x 3
  20. Tygerfyre Committed Player

Another suggestion for the breakthroughs.....on failure, the percent success chance should go up on the next attempt. That way, players have a choice. They can keep grinding for catalysts, and make subsequent attempts, or pay for seals. It seems like after a failed attempt, your character should learn something about what went wrong, and that would be represented by having subsequent attempts having a better chance of success. This also is in line with the way rare loot drops. If you have bad luck, it improves your odds for the next attempt, until you actually get to succeed. None of this nonsense of making attempt after attempt without actually progressing.
    • Like x 3