Forums less active nowadays?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BƖack, Oct 10, 2020.

1. BƖack Dedicated Player

Do the forums seem less active these days?
    Posts in all the categories are getting longer and less responses than before.
    • Like x 2
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  3. BanesRampage Well-Known Player

Game is losing players by the day, it’s been pretty boring lately.
    • Like x 1
  4. BƖack Dedicated Player

I see, i'm not very up to date with state of the game now because i have stopped playing around 2017. And honestly i was thinking about coming back to the game, but now i wonder if i really should go back at all.:confused:
    • Like x 1
  5. EconoKnight XIII Legion

As far as the game, it’s that lull at the end of the DLC we used to have. I and many of my league mates have been largely taking a break because we’ve already gotten most everything in regular; and due to the DPS check, we can’t progress past the first boss in elite even with 23 augs, full vendor gear (aether and regular), etc.

Just nothing to work on or work toward. Progress halted until next episode.
    • Like x 6
  6. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Perfect response!

I have been playing since launch and hearing how the game is hemorrhaging players since day one. And yet DCUO is getting set to celebrate it's 10th Anniversary.

Your explanation is spot on.

Once the next DLC drops player population will spike again.
    • Like x 8
  7. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I've definitely noticed a lull in the forums over the past year. It could have been happening before that and I didn't notice, I don't know. A few years back all the topics would have been replied to very recently but now it's not uncommon for me to come into work in the morning, peruse the forums, and see no posts for several hours in the Gotham section. Granted, I am in Ireland so a lot of the US players are in bed, but it didn't used to be like that.

As for the game itself having a lull, there was an article yesterday with an interview with Jackster (link at the end of my post) and he said the game is currently at it's most active (in terms of users) since 2017, and that there was a 70% increase in new players in Q2 2020 compared to the same time last year. Granted you have to take into consideration that that was likely because of people being forced to stay home due to Covid-19.

As EconoKnight pointed out above, we're nearing the end of the current episode too so there is a lull at the moment as people wait for the next one. What I can state for myself is that at this point in the life of the BoP episode I had already stopped playing every day and was just logging in once or twice a week, whereas with this episode I'm still logging in every day and running the solo on five characters.

https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/i...-people-during-an-unconnected-time-2000119691
    • Like x 7
  8. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

100% False.
    • Like x 5
  9. Eve YouTuber

I don't see any difference personally. I think people come to the forums mostly when they just wanna chill, ask a question or share something they did (Style, base deco, etc). Or see if the Devs posted some news. As Econo said, some might be taking a break so once the hype train for Episode 39 starts they will be back into it. (Testing on test server then grinding on live). But It's fair to say that thanks to the open world bounties Wonderverse ran longer and people were busy longer. :)
    • Like x 5
  10. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Dont let other and/or their opinions dictate your gameplay. If u were thinkin to come back then you should. I came back after 6.5 years away. Its great. Not as populated as before but find a good league an u have ppl to run with so lack of population doesnt really hinder you. Its agreat game despite its flaws. Enjoy it an find good ppl to enjoy it with.
    Realistically do u play games because others do or because u like them? I mean tons an tons of ppl play mine craft rite? So play that instead. It wont scratch the DCUO its but if population is what matters then there ya go as an example.
    • Like x 3
  11. BƖack Dedicated Player

Both :D
    • Like x 1
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

100% fact.
    But The thing is they also gain players by the day do.

Issue i think, when ppl say things like “loosing players by the day” Is it implies a false statement in that it implies a rapid population decline that on a graph whould show as a sharp downward straight line. This just is not true. Its not how it works and it doesnt consider the other variables.
    Ppl come an go. Often in waves while also at consistant rates.
    1) a line graph of this would look like a rollercoaster rising during new content an falling after its “done”.
    2) the effect of the rise/fall or how large the hills are an large the dips r will depend on the normal influx too of ppl actually quitting forever and new players joining
    3) lastly, Statements like this dont account for Ppl taking breaks here an there an not really quitting either
    • Like x 4
  13. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Maybe people are too busy playing the game to bother with the forums.
    • Like x 4
  14. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I just brought in three new players myself - my brother’s family.

My nephew was named after a Legion member (Drake Burroughs - Wildfire), so the new episode is something they all want to be able to play!
    • Like x 7
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

See thats exactly the point. Ppl Come an go, its not a linear thing. And some of the one coming dont stay an some of the ones going dont stay away so its an ever moving an changing value.
    Fact is, if there wasnt enough population to generate revenue an support the game we wouldnt have a game and today we have a game (And have had one for what, going on 10 years) so theres no reason anyone wanting to play shouldnt.
    • Like x 3
  16. Earth742 Well-Known Player

THIS.

Out of curiosity, i did a search to see how the 3 MMOs i play are doing, population-wise. DCUO was averaging a bit over 370,000 memberships. That's just tracking the subscribers, not the premiums who pay for the content they want or the free to play accounts. i think the f2p category has the highest rollover, as ppl try the game, some move on and others stay.

I started as f2p in Jan, 2015, and upgraded to premium soon after, and i sub whenever i can spare the $15/month, because it is a much better experience as a member. Also in that $15/month, you also are subscribed to the other games in Daybreak Games' catalog, and i know i'll try EverQuest again as soon as i have a new computer (craptop is....)
  17. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

OP talks about forums, people turn it into game population thread.
    Forums in general are dying and have been for many years. Social media makes it far easier to communicate. No hosting pics or whatever you have to do on a forum. I've been on a lot of automotive/ racing forums for decades and 1 by 1, they get shut down or moved to fb.
    • Like x 2
  18. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Do you mind my asking where you got the 370,000 subscribers number from? Not disputing it by any means, I am just curious to read whatever article/website it was posted in (if that's where you got the number).
    • Like x 4
  19. Earth742 Well-Known Player

i searched "DC Universe Online Player Population", Steam and PSN are gonna be the first two results, with reddit rounding out the top 3 results. i scroll down past the assorted forums posts to get to https://mmo-population.com/r/dcuonline. My earlier quote of 370k+ was a few months ago, and according to their latest data, and a convenient chart, DCUO is presently at about 311,339 active subscriptions and climbing; my guess is the Fall Fest & ppl prepping chars for the next episode or to get more of Wonderverse. Me, personally, am mainly doing Fall Fest & Wonderverse as much as time allows, and skimming thru War of the Light I.

As xxHELLSTROKExx reminded us, this thread is about forums dying, not the game. Seeing how many new posts there are any given day, i'd say they aren't. It is a chore just keeping up with the threads i am Watching, and sifting thru the rest to find threads i'd be interested in. Money isn't involved in the forums, so i doubt anyone bothers tracking it, though you can see how many views and Replies every thread has. Again, looking very lively & active.

One last thing about the Graph Chart on https://mmo-population.com/r/dcuonline, it seems to be a chart of Change in population, not the Total Population.
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Problem is that Steam isn't required for PC players to play DCUO, so that number won't really be an accurate measurement.

Not sure how much data PSN actually shows, so I couldn't really comment on that.

As for reddit reporting? Accuracy in that reporting could be REALLY hit or miss as there really isn't a way to verify.

The only people who really know are the devs, and they generally DON'T talk sub numbers ever, even when they're good. Anything else is a guess at best.
    • Like x 4