Tank Shields are COMPLETELY useless

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Royal Knight Kiryu, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Royal Knight Kiryu Well-Known Player

How is it that whether I’m earth rage ice or even using the atomic tank super charge in everything from birds of prey to the new Amazon content I am still dying? I’m no noob I’m a 498 sp Rage tank so I’m a little confused as to why I’m dying so much.
  2. Siramez Well-Known Player

Here are the things that you may not know about (why you die a lot):
    - Are you speccing right?
    - Are you using the right gear, artifacts and augments?
    - Are you using the correct loadout? especially the must have abilities
    - Least possible but you may not know how to tank properly, so i'd suggest watching tank videos on youtube and take notes from it. It is POSSIBLE that you are always face tanking which is never good as you take a lot of damage from it.
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

A lot of bosses lately are designed to ignore your shields.
    • Like x 8
  4. Royal Knight Kiryu Well-Known Player

Just this afternoon while trying to finish out the spam feet for calculator I kept dying through my shield with dot damage. My shield was registering the damage, But wasn’t stopping any. It was like it might as well of been a decorative prop. Same thing kept happening to me Earlier this week on my Earth tank fighting the hydra too and last week on my ice tank. Getting burned to death in a fresh shield that never breaks. What exactly is the point of having shields if you die inside them and they do nothing to mitigate or stop incoming damage? ALL of my tanks are properly spec’d and NONE of this was an issue 2 weeks ago, but now it’s gotten to the point where I either get lucky doing it in large groups with multiple healers or don’t bother.
    • Like x 1
  5. Royal Knight Kiryu Well-Known Player

That is by far the stupidest decision ever made. Unless you’re a fire tank you might as well just delete your toon. Most tanks use shields in some capacity and to make them completely worthless makes the power and role completely worthless.
    • Like x 4
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's only on certain big attacks and everyone just using shields to avoid mechanics is boring.
    You just have to pay attention and either step out of the direct path on channel attacks or block when you see the skull icon pop up.
    • Like x 3
  7. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Blocking in any role seems to be a skill lost to time lol
    • Like x 8
  8. myandria Item Storage

Agreed. It is amazing how some players think I am cheating with my squishy scorcery healer when she survives a few skull icon attacks.
  9. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Lol i take all sorts of “1-shots” to the face by simply blocking haha
  10. SaranVikram93 New Player

i am new to this game and i didnt know what killed me when i was doing wonderverse event content . so i kept solo tanking bosses and here is what i saw ares , athena, stepphen,kaliblak and hydra attack damage can be eaten by shields. hydra fire and murk gut hook attack damage are dots and they ignore shields so u have to spec a lot in health bar. when i was new i used to take 4 shots of guthook and die now im able to take like 8 shots of gut hook and die . so if u dont have enough specs in health bar dont go without a healer those dots eat health in couple of secs .With a healer though they cant do chit u dont even have to follow any mechanics just like ares and athena hydra one shots u and that comes without a warning like telling u to block and stuff so healer gonna save u there too .
  11. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

For the OP:
    I'm sure you know, but just in case:
    For Rage tanking, your primary stat is health. You should have plenty of dominance from gear, and with your SP, you can add some of you feel you need it.
    Several points to weapon, 1 point hybrid, 20 crit heal, 40 crit heal mag, 275 health, and 100 more to dominance if needed (gives a nice bonus) and you've got enough to either add precision or even resto (as resto does add to the shield formula).

It also could be a matter of loadout/hit counter as well. (Or even artifacts). I've got just over 400SP and am capable of face tanking most bosses (I don't tank for Hydra). Ire comes in handy with Rage, being used before e chain. Redirected Rage helps during the cool down of punishment, and if timed well, is ready to go again after the next rotation. Keep your hit counter high if you can.

Also, a fortified neck mod helps with defense.
  12. Juggurnaut Level 30

Why would you spec 20 into crit heal and 40 into crit heal? When rages mechanic is not affected by this. It’s mechanic simply heals back 85% of the damage taken.
    • Like x 3
  13. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

I seen some talk about how blocking can help you survive a skull attack as a tank.lol check every tank summary cause all of them say tank mechanics only work when you are not blocking earth loses it stone skine when you block so does ice and fire loses its 40% defense also. so telling tanks to block is bad info they must kite to survive. I tank everything on artie I also fire tank on a alt.when I see a tank holding block I tell them 2 stop your dropping your tank mechanics and not tanking properly. I know its stupid and I have raged about this before .I don't get why they did it but they did this to tanks at revamp. Fact is we are not tanks anymore.LEARN TO KITE AND DON'T TRY 2 TURTLE TANK
  14. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Your remorseless recover can actually crit heal you, not to mention Ire can crit as well. The severe only heals back a portion, and I've never seen that crit, but the rest of heal mechanics for rage can. Ragebringer, remorseless, without mercy, Ire, and those occasional crits are perhaps part of the reason I've been able to face tank the bosses I do.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If you go look under your abilities you'll see Block gives you 100% Defense. Blocking during a skull attack is the smart way to survive, turtle tanking in general is still viable but boring.
    • Like x 3
  16. Memphis Rainz Well-Known Player

Oh my... Seems you the one who need to learn how to play...
  17. L T Devoted Player

The Devs have actually gone back and forth on this. Revamp brought a lot of anti-block content and tried to put more of a focus on being active-- I think there's only 3 attacks in all of Age of Justice that require a block (and a tank can probably survive 2 of them). The next couple of DLCs followed that pattern -- mostly dodge and avoid danger instead of blocking.

Atlantis was kite or die. Don't bother blocking; don't bother fighting; just run away.

Since then Blocking has returned to being a thing. And to enforce blocking there's lots and lots of ignore-the-shield mechanics. Don't know how Ice Tanks manage.
    • Like x 1
  18. Memphis Rainz Well-Known Player

In my opinion, if tank do his job, others shouldn't bother him with their suggestions. Especially if they can't hold block button in time or roll out from marked zone. More so if they don't know what block stance give you and when exactly to use it and when not...
  19. I3eleth Well-Known Player

Check your combat tab in your chats the red entries will be the fatal blows and tell you what killed you.
  20. I3eleth Well-Known Player

Blocking is only necessary on skull attacks that can't be dodged cause you gain 100% defense. Yes tanks like fire for example lose healing in etc. while blocking it doesn't matter your restoration and dominance doesn't and will never be on par to your healers healing ability and your healer can't save you if you get one shot which is preventable in 99% (elite omega beam being one that renders this useless) of scenarios by dodging a skull if able if not hold block. Artifacts are 99% of the game skillpoints are just a trophy now so if you have 500sp and level 80 arts that's your issue.