Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Apollonia Dedicated Player

The entire premise of the counter argument is that the previous reclaim went "poorly". That conclusion itself is suspect. It requires Dev confirmation to claim. Anti-reclaim players here are repeatedly claiming it went bad as a justification for shutting down the conversation on another one. It's basically a narrative without any data to support it.

Have to tell you, I was here. It went well. There were a lot of happy excited people who were able to get better names. I benefitted by getting a couple names I wanted and most of my league did also. Also, there were no "victims" since anyone who lost their name moved on years earlier and didn't care.

Maybe a green name will swoop in and say it wasn't particularly successful to back up this narrative though. I personally doubt that's the case, since we know as long term players, most of the early players moved on without looking back and their names were recycled after not logging in, in 4 years. That doesn't mean that there isn't active players holding names; but there's way more people who left the game than there are long term players who stuck with it who could be holding onto names.

On the other hand, if the previous procedure really didn't free up enough names, there are always ways to improve. For example; coming up with a regular purge citeria and process. Or coming up with a new name system so this isn't an issue going forward.
    • Like x 1
  2. BumblingB I got better.

You are right, I don't have Mepps' post. It's gone. So it's my word against no proof. After an incident with something that happened a while ago with him and I, I doubt we will ever see an admission. There is a lot of posts missing from him in the last 2 years, but tin foil hat and all, I don't have proof and all the other avenues that he said it are no more. (He said it in an office hours once on discord.)

Congratulations on getting names from the previous one. You were probably in the minority here. Though, I can say, your testimonial is anecdotal at best.

How do you know that? How can you affirm that? Same to be said about me not knowing if it was successful or not. Unless, as you said, a green name comes and says so, there is no way to do that.

Like what? At what point of inactivity duration would be allowed? 4 years? 2 years? 1 year? 6 months? A new player leaving the ship? A character on the ship?

They set a rule that if you had logged into your account, even to the character select stage, you were good. As someone said above, they sent out notification emails when they were about to happen. So... what level of fairness do you see being okay for them to adjust and improve upon it?

Again, I don't see them doing it unless they are going to do another server crossplay. And to be honest, who knows, they might just do that. But when that happens, names that would be freed up would go to the xbox and switch characters. So back to square one.
    • Like x 1
  3. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

"Like what? At what point of inactivity duration would be allowed? 4 years? 2 years? 1 year? 6 months? A new player leaving the ship? A character on the ship?"

This looks like recalibration to me. Things to consider.
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

What they say: "I think a name reclaim event would be appropriate for all players".

What they really mean: "I don't have the creativity to come up with a new name, so I want the devs to forcefully rip my preferred name from an inactive player so I can use it or sell for tons of game money".
    • Like x 3
  5. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

The supply of good names is only as "low" as peoples' imagination.
    • Like x 4
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It's always the people with really low standards and not-so-great taste in names who say stuff like this.

You have 26 character names in your signature that show you couldn't come up with any good ones either and need a name reclaim event as much as anyone else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Like x 2
  7. Apollonia Dedicated Player

You don't have to explain to me. I know exactly how that issue plays out, unfortunately.

I was only offering it as a counter anecdotal point to yours. Not arguing per se. Just pointing out that I could easily offer the opposite perspective. I don't consider either of our experiences "fact" unless backed up by some date (we'll never see).

Pure logic. At launch and up to about year 1.5-2 the game had millions of players playing and over time as the game failed to evolve and release content in a timely manner or address community issues, those people moved on. It's logical to accept that those millions of players who moved on, never came back just by looking at the small size of the PC community remaining.

The game has grown because of PS4 support, and probably matches that population, but I think it's fair to assume those millions of PC players never came back and moved on.

I'm not going to engage in this direction. No offence to you. But I don't want to go down a rabbit hole and trigger people with my own personal views on what is reasonable for the Devs to do. It's not up to me or any of us. If they do another one they'll decide. Hopefully, they'll come up with something that will free up more this time around.

There's a good chance that's true. But as I said previously, I do think they should. And I think if they keep the existing system it should be a regular purge. If they use the opportunity to come up with a new name system; even better.
  8. BumblingB I got better.

That is the thing, you are giving your views on it. As long as it's freed up, you don't care what level of time it is. Everyone in this thread is, including me. We are all looking at this with triggered feelings and either want it or don't. The problem comes down to it, there is no right answer, you can find responses of green names talking about name reclaim and/or server merger. They don't want to do it, but they have to. It comes down to it, someone wants more names, they can't have it. Then come here hoping to receive options to get it.

I don't think we need a regular merger, but I wouldn't mind a revamp of the name system. I don't know if they can, because I remember back when it was still soe they said that adding @handle was not really an option. But it who knows, it might be now.
  9. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

No thanks, I'm actually happy with those character names (which were all first choices, with the exception of Sun Wukong, who was originally "King Monkey" until I changed his name), although there are only 25, not 26. Thank you for your concern. I guess the fact that I'm not using some variant of Batman made you think I'd be unhappy.

Have a nice day, and I hope you eventually manage to revive that dead horse.
    • Like x 1
  10. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Take a look a trade chat sometime. You'll see constant offers to buy and sell names for outrageous prices. Basic economics tells us that means the demand is greater than the supply.

If your "imagination names" were available and of any value at all to the player base, you'd sell them and make a mint. But they're not, and you won't.
    • Like x 2
  11. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I'm not sure why you're happy though. They're not great superhero names at all; they're gamer tags and gag names. No one is talking about naming themselves Batman. It's a locked out name for copyright and trademark purposes -- is that what you think this is about lmao.

Your argument was that the rest of us weren't creative enough. If you're going to take lowkey shots on the rest of us, it's fair to take a look at your's. Just because your name was available on the first shot, doesn't make it 1) more creative than anyone else's and 2) a good name.

Why are you here talking about this anyhow though? If you're happy with your names (on characters you don't play btw, and you're just squatting on), why do you care? This wouldn't affect you at all. You just don't want other people to be happy with their names too.
    • Like x 2
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Who says I don't play them? I'm not "squatting" on any of them. Admittedly I don't play all 25 every day, but I do log in on every one of them at least once a week.

Funnily enough I see an awful lot of "Batman" named characters about. They're pretty common when you have access to non-standard letters (like on the EU server), even before numbers get added to them.

But whatever...

No, my argument was that if everybody is trying for the same names, then maybe people need to think of some different names.
    • Like x 1
  13. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Sorry, I thought this was a public forum, where people were allowed to post if they have an opinion on the topic at hand.
  14. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

No you're right. I won't sell them because I'm using them.
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

Argumentum ad hominem - Logical fallacy that consists on trying to dequalify someone's argument due to incapability to counter-argue the point.

Your immature response doesn't change anything I've said. You just proved my point. And since I require people to have at least 2 digits on their IQ to interact with me, you're now blocked.
    • Like x 2
  16. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

No, it's actually an excellent point. This thread is for players that value the names of their avatars. If you are not one of those, that's fine, but your level of apathy informs and discounts your opinion.

Also, its bad form to call out someone for a perceived ad hominid attack and then immediately engage in your own.
    • Like x 1
  17. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Come on walle you been on forums long enough to know that when ppl have different opinions they usually result in insults especially if they cant manipulate others to their side lol
  18. Wallachia Devoted Player

Argumentum ad hominem is never a good point. it is always a logical fallacy that is always senseless and invalid. It is a chimera that people believe for shee convenience.

I don't expect people to understand what I did, but it always entertains me how I have been studying this for the last 15 years of my life just to see someone actually trying to validate it when it's used against me but calling it out when I did it on the exact same person. There was a different meaning to what I did, but I am 250% sure not only you will not understand but you will then proceed to try to lecture me on it/demoralize my formation and study because you didn't like what I said.

Pretty much. Those 2 guys just proved that.

1: "You disagreed with me? WELL, YOU HAVE BAD TASTE IN NICKNAMES!" (People who don't even know Tsuki Hime)
    2: "ARGUMENTUM AD HOMINEM IS VERY VALID WHEN IT VALIDATES MY POINT!".

I should stay only on sheetposting, it's healthier.
  19. Shadow Force Committed Player

Correction only us server can't Eu can that's why migrated there :D
  20. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

15 years?
    An argumentum ab auctoritate to justify one's own argumentum ad hominem.

Keep studying, bud.
    • Like x 1