Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Valrasa New Player

Fellow players and Devs,

I recently contacted customer support in regards to reclaiming a name presumably not being used by an active player. Unfortunately, he was not authorized to help me directly in that manner. It was suggested I post here to rally support from my fellow players to maybe get the Devs attention. So I say to you Devs....how about a "Name Reclaim Event"? Be nice to free up some cool names not being used anymore. Who's with me?

Thanks for any support thrown at me here. Happy hunting and stay healthy out there!
    Valrasa - signing out
    • Like x 4
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

This keeps getting brought up and the majority are against it.
    • Like x 8
  3. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

I likely isn't going to happen, the last one seemed like most of the names were just taken by people that want to sell names.

I personally don't mind either way though.
  4. Valrasa New Player

My request stems from the loss of two names back in the day during the PC/PS merger. It could be done systemically. Like, level 30 character requirement...and only one claim request per account. This could help mitigate those taking advantage of a nice gesture by the devs.
    • Like x 1
  5. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

I believe during the merger they went with the account that the name first stayed with the name and the other person got like a number added to their name and I think they gave them a name change token.

I highly doubt they would take a name away from someone, especially if they had it before the other person.
  6. Proxystar #Perception

I'm not against a name reclaim, I just don't think the OP is going to get the names they want and knowing that I think the devs can't be bothered with the logistical nightmare as evidenced by the last one.

unfortunately those names you think are in-active likely aren't. People stash names away for a rainy day on this game either to use or to sell to other people for in game money (yes that does happen!)

Most unique names were snapped up during the last name re-claim and then you've got the people now so thirsty for what they term an OG name they're just picking random words out of the dictionary :D
    • Like x 4
  7. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Ignore the negativity.

There are a vocal minority of people on the forums who are against this idea. Most players welcome it though. You have to keep in mind there are people with vested interests in keeping things how they are. When they object they have their own interests in mind -- like players who make money from squatting on names for example. They don't want to 1) lose names they have or 2) lose potential buyers, for example. It's ridiculous this is even a thing. It's so sad.

Even if it benefits a small amount of players it's still good for the game, existing players who want those names, and new players joining -- if anyone thinks not being able to get a name you want when you start isn't a strike against the game, they're kidding themselves. As a dev you want your player invested in the game because they become long term players. The more attached to their characters (name, look, powers etc) the longer that player stays in love with the game and keeps playing. That's how it works.
    • Like x 5
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Pass, every time they do 1, the greedy ppl in this game hog the good names to sale for millions or billions. Not interested in a 3rd renamed just to make those type of people even more money
    • Like x 2
  9. gemii Dedicated Player

-one name reclaim per account for 1-2 days grace period

That’s the easiest solution

If guys want more than one name reclaim to hog names force them To create a new psn account and pay for legendary on all those accounts

Dc would even make money in that process
    • Like x 1
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

The "OG" naming thing just makes me facepalm..
    • Like x 1
  11. deathlock New Player

I seriously hard pass at this name change reclaim or whatever my name's aren't super fancy and all that carp but they are mine and what just because you don't have ur oh so special name umm so what suck it up and if there is 1 which I'm really hoping not ever again all the rich players will just suck up the good names again and then u will be here again like so many others and I don't hardly ever comment on stuff here but this is something I don't want to happen again so, ya kick this to the curb and leave it there to fade into nothing.
  12. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I say if they do a new 1 you cant create and take new names only keep from losing your names, this will prevent what I mentioned above with ppl just hoarding names to sale for billions.
  13. Brit Loyal Player

I maintain that the biggest problem with the name reclaim event is that they work it as these incredibly rare once-per-five years events, advertised long in advance so that long-gone players can log in for two seconds to retain possession of the name without actually ever playing, and existing players can make dozens of FTP accounts so that they can character-create a bunch of level 1s to squat on names that they claim they're going to sell, but in reality they never do sell because they never log in to those characters to see the mail that they get from the people who want to buy them.

The most successful MMO in the world, World of Warcraft, runs name purges as a regular part of game maintenance. That is the proper way to do it. Account stays inactive for too long; the name gets purged back into the system. Something that is constantly happening, so that those names aren't all being freed up at the exact same minute to make it easy for the name sellers.

Yes, I support the name purges in any form the game might implement them. But the best solution will always be to have constant name purges occurring as a regular part of game maintenance without the need for it to be a special "event".
    • Like x 5
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This. 1000% It should be a regular ongoing purge. Or even better; they should migrate to a different naming system so this isn't an issue anymore. Account #s for everyone and "names" are just a player facing "alias" allowing multiple players to share the same name -- but that's another convo.

My favourite guy is the one claiming ALl tHE GooD oNeS jUsT GeT tAkEn aNd SoLD AnYHow / ALl tHe GoOd oNeS gOt TaKeN LaSt tImE. No... That's stupid. There's no master list of all the "cool names" that jerks are working from to lock them all down. They didn't magically think of all the good names or the cool name you want and took it to squat on it. That's incredibly absurd. Most of the objections shared here are plain dumb and just stuff that's been said in the past and is being repeated without anyone thinking critically about it at all.
    • Like x 1
  15. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Hopefully never.
  16. Berza Committed Player

Do you realize the the amount of trolling and scamming this would generate? Let's say I want to buy a raid reset. I ask for trade chat. Then I get a pm from a toon named Elu. He asks pay first. Elu is a well known member of the EU server, so even if I don't personally know them, I will trust. But oh! It was another player with the same name and I got scammed, my money gone as this toon logged out. And I didn't record the deal because you know, the name made me trust. (Disclaimer: Elu was the first name that came to my mind of a known player in EU, nothing else).
    Oh, and when people give opinions about what would happen in a name reclaim, usually it is because THAT ALREADY HAPPENED LAST TIME.
  17. Magician Dedicated Player

On a purely selfish response: No. This causes a stressor in my life every time this happens to think that the characters I have loved, leveled, and developed since game launch could be at risk of losing their name. Irregardless if I am active or not, as a Lifetime subscriber, I should not need to worry about my character's fate. Yes I am active, yes I am a regular contributor, but i have paid my dues many times over to be able to have the name I have and not have to worry about some reclaim event causing me to lose it.

That being said, I understand why the OP requests it. I see those awful names that people create in Little Bohemia time and again because they cannot have the name they want.

With the Switch, XBone, PS and PC, it would make sense to see a Name Reclaim during major mergers if they ever go through. Even that however would suck if they go by what they have in the past: Oldest name first, activity and over 30. Becaues any Switch, XBone player cannot compete to PS/PC.

Just because I got the names I want, doesn't mean I don't want other people to get the names they want. However, maybe it just takes more creativity on the OP's part. I am tired of seeing FutureXYZBatman because they want to be iconic or some other Marvel rip off. That likely will never change regardless how many name reclaims are done, numbers, letters, special alt characters, etc. (which btw, I hate that PS players can have characters with special alt characters but PC cannot)
  18. Berza Committed Player

Just as a note, US PC players are the only ones that can not use special characters.
    • Like x 2
  19. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Jack has made known his desire for crossplay several times over the last year.

If they are able to pull this off - folding the XBox and Switch servers into PS/PC - I'd be willing to bet we get a name purge before/during the merge.
    • Like x 1
  20. PolarisSylar Committed Player

Couple years ago, dcup merge servers pc / ps3/ ps4.
    That's the last time name reclaim took place because we merge servers.

The question is a another when,
    When DCUO decided to merge servers
    1) merge servers PC , PS, XBOX, SWITCH.
    2) merge servers PC US, PS US, PC EU , PC PS

That's when we would have might of new name reclaim because servers merging and we can't have duplicates.
    Till then not yet name reclaim

Polaris. Sign out..