2020 Name Reclaim

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FiremanMac85, Aug 4, 2020.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No because the person that has it also has been paying a membership for years.
    • Like x 1
  2. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Hate the game, not the player.
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Looking at the world around us right now, I think it's time to clean up the whole system and start with those people abusing the system and exploiting and taking advantage of others.

Predatory practices like this hurts the game and DI. Being able to pick names for your character that you enjoy is a big part of creating a connection and investing in your character as a player. Which means you engage with the game more and stick with it. Not being able to do that means you're more likely to move on and that means loss of revenue when that happens. So, while you profit off of others, you're taking money out of the pockets of DI and hurting the game's population. Everything in the world is cause+effect. Nothing happens in a vaccum.
    • Like x 1
  4. Wallflower Level 30

Spoken like a true scumbag.
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Not sure that the style unlocking comparison works all that well. Seems to be kind of an "apples and oranges" comparison to me, and there are a lot more "up in the air" questions as to why style unlocking hasn't continued.

The mechanics may have been implemented successfully, but I can't bring myself to say that the first name reclaim was as successful as it's being made out. Even after it first took place we had folks complaining, pouting and (in extreme cases) throwing a forum tantrum because they didn't get the name they wanted. And this thread contains further evidence of that with continued complaints about someone sitting on a name.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

*checks the membership perks*

Hmmm, sorry, paying a membership doesn't entitle you to the name you want.

For good or ill, the name system here has been first come, first served. And without any way of knowing if that character happens to be on an account with a paid membership, there's really no way to say you should get that name over that low level character.
  7. IcyStone Well-Known Player

I didn't ment that members should have right to claim premium or free names lol.
    I ment we pay membership we could have a better system to prevent this to happen, its too much to ask?
    The name I want is clearly someone not playing or sitting on name.

Ps. Name claming should happen once a year every 18 month characters that are not logged into should be renamed. Trouble solved. The code is there, just make it automatic.
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's working under the assumption that they only have that one character. There's no way for you to know if that's one of many characters on that account. It could be an inactive account. But it could also be an unused alt, a character made just for storage, a name being sat on, whatever.

Any census data/app will only tell you about the character you look at. Nothing more, nothing less. While that character with the name you want may not be in the process of being played, that doesn't mean there isn't someone on that account playing.
  9. IcyStone Well-Known Player

yes, my oppinion on the name I want is under the assumption it has only 1 character. But thats not the point.
    The system should be using a filter by character, not accounts, under assumption they can see how long you don't log into your characters. how do you know they can't see that? if its sitting on name, thats exacly what we are trying not to happen, if its a bank or an unused alt, that a person don't use for 18 months, a rename wouldn't delete it.
  10. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's one of the most cheese-Richard things I've seen. We had a guildie who was wanting a better version of his character's name back before the big name-release. The one he wanted hadn't even been played to level 30 and sat dormant for years. He was so excited and then just hours before the name-release the person holding the account logged into it then back out.

smh
    • Like x 1
  11. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I'd like to see a name purge, especially since DCUO doesn't have id-based naming system.

There are a couple of names I'd like to get for my characters, because those names have a special and personal meaning to me.
    And I don't wish to sit around with name generators or search for synonims or use special letters just because a person who has the name I want hasn't been online for 4 years. :(
    • Like x 3
  12. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Sorry, I didn't mean to brag. I was just pointing out how fortunate and thankful I am that Daybreak is against future name reclaims. It has worked out very well for me and those like me with decent names.
  13. Brit Loyal Player

If "complaining" is your measuring stick for failure, then a lack of Name Purge is definitely a failure. Personally, I think there are always going to be people who complain. No answer is ever going to make everyone happy. But looking at the nature of the complaints, we can address problems to eliminate complaints that are within our control, versus complaints from people who are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

There are dozens of complaints. I'll sight as many of them as I've heard listed.

- I want a name that is on a character who has been inactive for years.
    - I want a name, but it's on an active character.
    - I want a name, and it got freed during the purge, but then somebody else took it first.
    - I want a name, but the guy who has it is trying to sell it instead of letting me claim it for free.
    - I already have the name I want and so I no longer need help claiming names and now I oppose things that would allow other people to get the names that they want.
    - If every single player doesn't get exactly what they want, then I oppose anyone having any improvements. It's all or nothing.

A name purge by the parameters Dimensional Ink has already successfully implemented does not help every single one of these catagories. Some people are going to be left unhappy, because the name purge didn't give them what they wanted. But the point is, the name purge does help SOME of these catagories, and the name purge does not hurt ANYONE playing the game.

If you've already got the name you want... you get to keep it. No names are taken away from active players.
    The only people who lose anything are players who left the game more than 18 months ago and have not logged in since.

Helps some people. Hurts no one. And also makes Dimensional Ink extra money, while costing them literally nothing, because all the coding has already been completed.

"It won't help everyone" is not a reason not to fix an issue in the game. We're talking about helping players, hurting nobody, and building revenue, all in a single whack. If there is one complaint about the Name Purge it is that it does not go far enough. They should not be one-time events, but a regular part of game maintenance, so the name squatters can't just wait online one specific time, but rather the names get filtered out slowly, constantly being recycled as they expire, instead of waiting 5 years for the next name purge. And if those name-sellers don't log into every single one of those FTP accounts they made to placeholder those names, eventually they will lose them back into the pool, so at least they have to do a little bit of work for it.
    • Like x 1
  14. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Thank you for saying this Brittney. It blows my mind how stupid some people are about this issue. Mostly bc they weren’t around for the original and have absolutely no idea how it was implemented. Well said in this post.
    • Like x 2
  15. AdaptiveAndroid Well-Known Player

If we can't get a character name reclaim, can we try a league name reclaim? We've never had one of those and theres tons of inactive leagues that probably haven't logged in years. Thoughts?
  16. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

That's not me >.<
    • Like x 1
  17. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

While a name reclaim would probably free up a lot of the ps3 player names that may be lost, the previous ones did not go smoothly.
    The original server merge when the original individual servers were combined was a total mess and when they merged ps and pc it was drawn out and time consuming. A lot of people got names they wanted, a lot didn't.

I would say no unless they are merging x-box and switch in.
    It's not worth the overall hassle.
  18. Magician Dedicated Player

If you wanted a Merger, consider that most of the names on XBone, Switch would be LOST to a player on PS/PC. Those players have been in game longer than the other consoles so would have tenure that would force the new consoles for a tag or a rename.

Now I would what kind of community impact would the game have if there was a TOTAL wipe of all names as if the game was brand new after merging all platforms. All players would need to rename their characters and everyone has equal chance...
  19. High Troller Loyal Player

Whatever happened to just thinking of a better name? Or..... make a knockoff of that name like many others do? Can't have Batman? Perhaps ooo13455batxxxxman9481hh is available.
  20. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Why do people struggle with making names?

I've renamed 7x probably and had something totally original and with correct spelling each and every time.

Edit minus 1 of my old names Has a lower case L for the 'i'