Bounties are not the future

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by spikeat, Aug 7, 2020.

1. spikeat Well-Known Player

First off this new DLC is not alt friendly and very grindy, but I want to mainly focus on the new bounties in this thread. It's so mind numbing repetitive and based around finding a good phase. Sometimes it's already hard enough to find 8 good players for a raid now we need to find a phase of 30-40+ players. With all these phase restrictions it makes it even more challenging. Good phases are likely at the hard cap and we need to wait after Hydra to be over then be able to phase in, which is the 30 min mark.

I understand that you're trying have us experience the difficulties and mechanics but you can't control that w/ open world bounties. With past MMO I've played, it's all about stacking players against open world bosses, which you're preventing. And it typically requires around 150-200 players with the raid lasting for more than an hour, but this is not that type of MMO. Let's also not forget that the average player in this game is not that good and when they fill up a phase w/ a time limit, they won't likely succeed. I typically see these phases blaming their losses on Orbitals.

How about sustainability for future players? I'm not a fan of stacking feat and there is one particular stacking feat that urgently concerns me. This is the Hydra 50 kill feat which I finally completed today. When there are far less players running the bounties in the future with the scaling difficulties, how long would it take to accomplish this feat. Hydra spawns every 30 min only if you defeat the other bounties. If you don't defeat the other bounties then the total time will be an hour for the next hydra. We don't know what the minimum players are needed nor how good a small group has to be. In my opinion Hydra should spawn regardless if other bounties are defeated.

With the stacking feats so high, you have all the players funneled into the bounty spamming. I actually like doing bounties and have been doing them weekly on my alts for a long time. My alts can no longer log in, find a quick group and defeat a bounty. There's hardly anyone doing BoP or Metal II bounties and it can take up to 30 min to phase for new bounties. It's too time consuming process now. Even the new alert takes a little while to queue due to everyone spamming the bounties. I understand the goal was for us to have something to do when we finish our raids and alerts, but this is so annoyingly repetitive. We are doing the same thing over and over every 30 min. If I bought a $60 game from a retailer and it made me do the same 30 min side mission over and over, I would demand a refund.

I didn't notice the daily missions difficult when I was in a bounty group, but when I did it a alt, it took so long. Daily missions requires us to kill 120 adds total. After completed that on two alts by myself, I was exhausted and will probably cut it out of my rotation.

Lastly I feel that this should have been a raid or event with bonus rewards. That way you can enforce your crowd control and mechanics the way it is intended. I'm not a fan of scaling on open world bounties as we usually stack the phases and the only time you can truly tweak it is after one or two DLC when there aren't that many players trumping the mechanics. I say put the bounty plan back on the shelf and bring back the raids.
    • Like x 3
  2. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Get in line kid, the **** show started a week ago.
    • Like x 4
  3. Draconiano Committed Player

I liked this DLC as a standalone and something different, but I don't want another DLC like this one. If I have to choose between 2 raids or 1 raid and bounties, I will always choose the 2 raids.
    • Like x 9
  4. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Open world design was good. Execution was terrible. 1 raid, and too many coins required to get gear, most of which are elite feats is complete BS. It’s more than obvious this was a DLC designed to make you buy replays.
    • Like x 4
  5. AquiloFury Committed Player

I definitely agree about the grindy nature of this dlc. With that being said, I am probably in the minority here..but I like what they're doing here.
    • Like x 1
  6. Trexlight Devoted Player

Bounties may not be the future but this feature certainly is. It could certainly be used differently but the Bounties always on a timer we see along with a Secondary Currency to them is a good step in the direction of having a breathing and living Open World. The game is currently setup with the Casual Gamer in mind with get in, get it done, and log off mentality. This Bounty system deters that a bit because you can get in, get it done with your usual Dailies but now it entices the player (or forces them depending on your attitude) to stay in and yeah, get in on the grind.

It certainly isnt alt friendly. The game itself isnt very alt friend in some aspects of their systems. But the grind seems to be a confusing thing for players because as we see, there are those who have the OP item (grats btw) and completed a lot of the Bounty feats and its only been one week since release. A grind that is suppose to takes weeks and even months was done in such a rush. Buying Replays to get this done fast (thanks for the supporting the game) has really damaged the aspect of how long the Grind is suppose to be or even take. Every player is certainly different and Im not one to ever criticize money spent, thats your decision purely, but thats again, your decision and a quick way to get burnt out.

The Devs want players to stay in the game and play. How is this done? This is how. Its the start of a new feature that has rough edges that need polishing and hopefully the next version is better using more tools whatever at their disposal. But the Raid here only being 1 on the On Duty Menu is meant to encourage more Raiding done in Open World to build and strengthen a community of players. Obviously the bugs and difficulty hinder such a progressive thought but thats how I see their intent with this design.
    • Like x 4
  7. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Rest easy guys, Trex is here to refute all your complaints and unapologetically defend daybreak yet again
    • Like x 3
  8. Trexlight Devoted Player

Not really refute but give understanding to some things. I certainly agree with the Alt situation.

Also not defending Daybreak, Im defending Dimensional Ink Games :)

But really i should have stayed quiet. Complaints are indeed welcome and I certainly wasnt coming in to start anything but instead share the other side. Of course when I give my own thoughts and enjoyment of something I get that normal rhetoric but when i actually criticize something Im still "defending the devs".

Eitehr way, devs introduce new system to try something. Feedback given of the bad and I give at least the good side folks may not have considered. Its called growth.
    • Like x 2
  9. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

It would be nice if there were less condescension in these posts. I don't see how that helps discussion.
  10. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

The whole idea seems ok, they just took the easy way imo. They just took characters already in the game, scaled up their size, damage, and health pool lol. The whole thing just seems like a big crutch for this episode.
    • Like x 3
  11. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Not just alts. New players are also going to be frustrated. Old content was already a ghost town, after this it will be completely dead. All new players pretty much need to shell out money now for that cr skip or it will take them forever to level up to end game. Then those CR skip players bog down end game raids. It is a cycle that is felt by through the whole game.
    • Like x 2
  12. Trexlight Devoted Player

There's no condescension. Im too tired to act like that. And youre right, it doesnt help the discussion same way the tired rhetoric of "defending the Devs" when I or someone post's opposite of the compliant. But I have to remember the compliant threads are there to complain (still feedback of course), not have a discussion.

Oh most certainly. In 2 Episodes when it's out of Relevancy it'll certainly be a ghost town and its been 9 years of ghost town content out there with no way or system in place to fix it. The Clamped System is the obvious choice but thats another discussion. At this time they havent told us whats going to happen to EA after either. Maybe they'll introduce an extra reason to keep running it even after Relevancy which honestly even wit hthe bonus loot it doesnt help. All i can think is EA could stay and be gained outside of Relevancy and the Bonus Rewards are then tied to EAs and not Source Marks. That would be the ideal thing to do tbh.
    • Like x 1
  13. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Certainly not very alt friendly, but since the requirement of artifacts, it's more along the lines of "choose your alts carefully." With the dlc it's seemingly more, "what alts?"

Personally, I'd like to see the scaling set to where 16-20 competent players could succeed with time to spare. Finding the right phase is way too much of a pain, and yes, when people are done with the grinding, and others aren't, it's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to find the right phase.
    • Like x 1
  14. Tenacity New Player

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this. Getting through Wonderverse will be hell on earth for new players once they finally reach it.
    • Like x 1
  15. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I liked farming the bounties but as I said during test, after 1 month everyone will be tired of them. People will continue to run them, but nobody will enjoy. I see them as content for every once in a while but not recurrent, because imagine farming 5000 times this month and finding out you will have to do it all again. Its like the kill 500 feats and LPVE, good once, twice, but 40,400,4000 times? Nahhhh.

Plus, next episode most likely nobody will be running the bounties, what about the new players? Not that this isnt a issue in past content, Starro feats and 8v8 arena feats are really harder this days, but we are talking about bosses that require full groups and need to be killed hundreds of times times with a 20-30min respawn window.

But if they can make it so we have only like 3 bounties without a mechanic like the hydra one next episode with higher mark rewards +a raid or elite alert I wouldnt complain tho
  16. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

lol...thought it was just me!:rolleyes:
  17. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

You do realize that you "giving understanding" is not always the correct perspective right? Im not saying the devs are the enemy. What is very infuriating is that they are commenting on pointless topics in the forums, yet they are stone cold silent on the glaring problem with this DLC.
  18. spikeat Well-Known Player

I have accepted that DC is a casual game many years ago and it has served me well for quick gameplay. I may be in the minority, but the quick gameplay allows me to then log onto my alts. With everyone scared to leave their phases, there is barely any players running any other alert or raids. I even had to wait 10 min in a queue for CoP which is the latest alert that's only been released for a week. Aside from SP and Artifacts, I was able to keep up with lastest DLCs with gear from weekly bounties and daily missions, but this is no longer the case.

I see your little rant about replays, which I agree in general, but has no purpose here as the Bounties are not loot locked.

The way it's setup now, I'm losing a lot of variety of content throughout the game. When you log on, everyone is spamming bounties and It takes too long to get into a good phase for the new bounties. I'd like to see it more of how it was, where I can log in without having to phase but there are enough players there to take down a bounty.

These bounties would be great for seasonal content or other events offering secondary marks for bonus rewards.
  19. spikeat Well-Known Player

I was going to post about this in my original post but I figured there may have been restrictions due to the pandemic. Rehashed content continues to used and rebranded as "New" content ... :rolleyes:
  20. Brit Loyal Player

Total marks earned each week has been reduced by one raid. The claim is that they introduced the World Bosses to replace that raid, but this is untrue. The World Bosses constitute the two Weekly Missions that we always get, just in a more annoying and less player-friendly manner.

For example: in Birds of Prey, we were able to get 8 marks for completing 4 dailies from the chosen quest-giver, and 8 marks from doing Metahuman Experiment, right off the beginning. In Metal II, it was for doing 4 dailies and killing the Giant Metal Hawkman bounty. In Metal I, it was THREE weeklies, for killing Metal Titan bounty, collecting 88 rifts, and killing 2,000 metal people. etc.

What are our weeklies for Wonderverse? Kill a World Boss, and Kill Hydra (which also requires 4 successful consecutive world bosses).

So those Marks are factored in as our weeklies, and we are just missing a full raid's worth of marks.

So gear is going to come slower. It's a mathematical fact.

In contrast, the 30 minutes that it takes to run the World Bosses if you are fortunate enough to immediately log in in a populated Shard so that you can do them without waiting and phasing for an hour, is significantly longer than, say, the 8 minutes it took to run Calculatorobot and Metahuman Experiment. And missions like "complete 4 dailies" and "kill a million metal people" have the luxury of being able to be worked on here and there, a little bit at a time all week long while you're waiting in the queue for other things. That 30 minute World Boss run is probably not going to have somebody drop from the shard and make space for you right before they get to Hydra because they wanted to spend 22 minutes spawning him, but not participate in the kill. Expect to be there for the full rotation, making it not just more time consuming, but also more annoying to schedule. You must literally block away larger sections of time, as though you were going to complete a raid, but where the biggest challenges are finding 30+ players during the off-hours, or getting into the shard and not getting disconnected during the primetime hours.

The bounties are bad, and even if you are doing them, you're still earning fewer marks than in previous expansions, so your gear is going to come slower.

"I know how to stop players from feeling burnt out. Let's give them less to do, but make it slower. People love it when their progress goes slow. That will keep them excited to play every day, knowing that they will only get half as much done during their play time."