The OP Discount is Pretty Paltry

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AV, Aug 4, 2020.

1. AV Loyal Player

The reduced price for a subsequent OP cats is still 10hrs of aether farming + the other requirements. Any chance that could be looked at? Seems awfully extreme for a gear slot where being able to buy additional OP would be a QOL consideration.
    • Like x 1
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

While they have made some great strides in making Omnipotence items much more attainable, they were never meant to be as attainable as regular vendor gear. It's a rare high quality chase item...the work needed to attain it reflects that.
    • Like x 3
  3. AV Loyal Player

This is about the discount for additional OP once you've already obtained it, not the cost of the OP itself though. Ie. when someone already has a head/neck/chest/back/hands OP piece, additional OP pieces are exclusively so they don't have to constantly swap turf mods in them. Once someone has gotten it, there's no real reason for the cost to not be better discounted on QOL slots.
    • Like x 4
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I understood what you were saying. I'm saying that they already gave a discount...asking for it to be bigger than that is kind of trivializing the chase.
    • Like x 1
  5. AV Loyal Player

In what way? There is no chase at that point. If a player already has it, the 2nd OP helm would exclusively be so they can have the right mods in armories without manually switching them every time. There is no non-QOL gain, so having it priced so high is unnecessary.
    • Like x 2
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's rather contradictory in a self-serving way. If there's no QOL gain then what's the complaint about??? And how can you say there's no further chase when your thread is literally asking to further reduce the chase?!!?
    • Like x 1
  7. AV Loyal Player

Because it's not a chase.... it's a case of "hey, this is a slot with multi-role turf mods and it has never taken 10hrs to grab the 2nd QoL piece before so we don't have to constantly change mods when we switch roles." When it's priced like this, there's no point to even bothering. The thread is asking for common sense.There's never been an aether-like component before and the idea players would require 10hrs of additional aether grinding just to make the best piece of gear in the game as convenient to use as other pieces of gear is asinine.
    • Like x 3
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Nothing asinine about it. You want the top shiny, they need you chasing after it for as long as possible so that others who are chasing as well (whether for their 1st or 2nd) can have other players to help in the chase. If they make it easier than they have to obtain a second OP item they are reducing the lifespan of the episode which impacts others. Lots of people keep saying "This dlc will be dead in two weeks hurr durr"...well, maybe now it'll be 3 weeks instead.

Besides, we are 6 days into the Episode, and we haven't even seen if there will be a bonus weekend/week. Meanwhile you're complaining about a 10 hour grind which quite frankly sounds like a rather trivial amount of time. If you're already concerned with a second OP piece it would seem you'd have no problem whatsoever getting it under the current discount terms.
    • Like x 1
  9. AV Loyal Player

Yes,... having it priced so it's pointless is "expanding the life." /s Genius.

It's meant for all roles. Making it arbitrarily inconvenient to use on multiple roles due to a QOL limitation is pointless. You're being a contrarian. There is no precedent for this pricing.
    • Like x 2
  10. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

What's the discount? It's not half? :(
    • Like x 1
  11. AV Loyal Player

It is half, but I mean... aether =/= marks is the issue so it amounts to 10hrs worth of aether grind after the ~106ish hrs required to get everything for one role, ie. not including 2nd role elite accessories/weapon which adds another 15 hrs. The volume of aether required is also much higher to begin with. Defeats the purpose. I'd realistically need 3 of them (st, aoe, and tank armouries) but now it's like "cool... guess I'll just use the same sc for st/aoe and manually switch the tank one every time... sweet...." Would anyone realistically consider rebuying it for any reason as is?
    • Like x 1
  12. Proxystar #Perception

I agree with you.

I get having to go through a bit of a grind on an alt, but if all you're after is a duplicate for your main that should be virtually free once you've already obtained it once.

The other solution is that perhaps op gear should have multiple white sockets.
    • Like x 3
  13. AV Loyal Player

Yeh realistically, on the same character that already has one, the price only needs to be high enough to ensure its not worth buying just to salvage.
  14. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I dont personally care about OP items as back when they were a rare drop i never got em anyways. Now it seems less of a rare thing and just a long slog of a grind. You could run the content ad nausuem and still not get the required catalysts and then be forced to spend millions. Nothing really OP about to me. But anyways not the point.

What they should do is equip 2 Tac Mod slots in the gear like said and the corresponding Tac mod is activated when in the corresponding role? Something along those lines.
    • Like x 1
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

There's no waiting, no resetting with aether. 10 hours? Great, seems like a fine goal to knock out this weekend.
    • Like x 4
  16. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Not gonna happen. IMO, if they gave a crap. They'd either stop making OP heads or figure out how to add two slots with just one head needed. This has been requested since Prime Battle Ground.

I'd just grab a dps one and call it a day. Carry a bunch of the head mod capsules and replace them where needed. I'd venture to say a head mod won't make or break a raid, right? Even if you had to switch on the fly.

Players need to stop feeding the monster.
    • Like x 1
  17. AV Loyal Player

Over a full work day to be able to use the OP in multiple armories without mod swapping. What value lol. Time is worth more than marks, of which we eventually have an excess and which is not the case with aether. Seriously though, this is like if we bought a car from the vendor and, when asking about winter tires the dealer was like "lolwut? no... but we'll sell you another car for you to put winter tires on at half the price of this one." It's not the end of the world, obviously, just makes it a pain or, in some cases, precludes the use of certain SCs in certain armouries and the re-buy price in terms of time requiredb is excessive as hell compared to previous OPs, esp when we already have one. Should not be less convenient for multiple roles/armouries than equipping a non-OP slot is.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think it's more like if your hobby is spending time playing a video game, spending time playing a video game is the point.
    • Like x 3
  19. AV Loyal Player

Right but we don't, for example, continue to farm CC bounties once we're done with them. The economy of effort in an MMO is part of the game. This is also besides the point that it's a multi-role gear piece that replaces both role-specific pieces. As others have mentioned, a reasonable fix would be for it to have 2 mod slots, one for each role. No other OP piece in a slot with turf mods has required us to grind for 10hrs to get the 2nd, discounted OP we need to conveniently use it in multiple armouries. It's especially annoying in the head slot, as it's not atypical to have different SC for bosses than we do for hallways, sometimes for both roles. Eg. I'd normally have 3-4 elite head pieces.
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Look, I have no horse in this race because I'm not bothered grinding out two OP helms even if the price of the second one was 1/10th of the original, but your analogy is a little flawed. That analogy could easily be reworked to say that your character itself is the car and the OP helm is the tires/winter tires, of which you're getting the second "set" at half price. You are correct in that the re-buy time is a lot longer than previous ones, but at the same time it's also not gonna cost you any replay badges that you may have spent grinding out marks.

My opinion on all of this is if you want the second helm then grind out the stuff for it. It won't take you as long as the first one. Alternatively just keep a stack of tac mods in your inventory and swap it every time you swap roles. It's annoying for sure but it'll probably be a hell of a lot less time intensive than getting a second OP helm. Just think, this could be the old days where OP items were random drops and you may never even get one, let alone two.

The absolute ideal situation would be for the devs to add two tac mod slots to all future OP items (which have tac mod slots) and programme it to use one mod in damage stance and the other in tank/healer/controller stance.
    • Like x 3