Phases Locked This Strictly Was A Horrible Idea

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AV, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Proxystar #Perception

Have you got a video showing the experience is too difficult with only 8 people, just curious
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i had a similar idea about making the bounties into a survival mode styled raid.

now i'm thinking i'm going to start asking for four tank raids, increasing the cost of stabilizers and for them to break mental even more.

this way when they do the exact opposite we'll be good.
    • Like x 2
  3. AV Loyal Player

(Sorry I'm braindead and didn't see this was @Brit not me)

No, since we have no control over who participates and even PVP phases have had scattered ppl trying to find groups. It's hard to lose the cycle bounties in general (though a DPS-lite phase can take a while on them) but it's easy for randoms to throw the Hydra fight. The issue with the scaling isn't a problem with the number of players, but the roles and the fact that not all players contribute equally (especially during Hydra, where some actively make matters worse). As it's new content and totally ow, there's no way to control for this. Name of the game is pretty much "find a good phase and stay in it forever."

To better contextualize the problem with the walk-in thing, there's about 12min of actual action per hour in this bounty cycle, with 48min of waiting. With the walk-ins, that could be adjusted up to as little as ~5min of downtime (if lower lvl or doing crystals still) or ~12min of dowtime (if higher level not doing crystals), or as much downtime as someone wanted/needed for their taste, all of which is better than 80% of our time being spent doing pretty much nothing. 12min/hr of game is pretty light on the "game" part. That's also not to downplay the economic impact of all of us who were running solos suddenly no longer running solos.
    • Like x 2
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah I understand, I was just trying to ascertain though the difficulty and how its set at 8 people so that even if you're forming say a league run the bounties are easily do-able. because they should be if these bounties are a theoretical raid replacement :)

I haven't had a group of just 8 people attempt it so was just curious.
    • Like x 1
  5. Brit Loyal Player

I don't have a video per se, because I've never taken a video of anything in game and I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to do that stuff.

I am a night shift worker, so primarily I am playing in the early morning hours after work. Friday and Saturday morning, I participated in at least 30 attempts, with groups ranging from 4 to 12, and we never got the bounty below half. I do not know the exact group compositions because I cannot be certain of roles of anyone outside of the literal raid group. I also did not know any of these people personally, so I cannot attest to the level of skill they might have.

As the clock would roll over into early afternoon, the population would experience a serious upswell. Yesterday I managed to clear each of them for the first time. I know there were over 20 people present at the Steppenwolf/Kalibak fight, and we beat it with 14 seconds left on the clock. Again, I cannot attest to group composition or level of skill for every player involved.

I would not consider my own personal experiences to be more than just anecdotal evidence at this point, but I am hearing very similar stories from virtually everyone playing in unpopulated shards or at off-hours times.

Or if you prefer the alternative corroborating evidence, Multiverse's YouTube video shows a group of 40ish players killing the bounties, and they are taking about 1:45 to get them down. If you assume roughly equal contributions across players, that means a group of just 8 would need roughly five times as long to get it done, which puts them significantly longer than the timer allowed for each fight.
    • Like x 2
  6. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Ran ot with maybe 15ppl, and no go. But I found a room that was near empty and started forming a group. Then I left that group and formed another. Then a league mate left that group and did the same till we had about 40ppl. 35 ppl min needed for Hydra win. We barely got Murk with about 25, smooth frames tho. 35 was a fast nuking of bosses with low frame drops. 45 was frame drops but targetable bosses.
    If you see lfgs from me, Azraihell, feel free to accept. We do a healer to 7dps and then make sure another group has a tank and healer and 6dps. No trolls usually. Communication is key. But the league I'm in will be doing it again for most of the day starting at 2pm est on usps server.
    • Like x 2
  7. AV Loyal Player

Our league is running with a few groups pretty much 24/7 but it's still whorish to actually get into phase after logging on. Best chance is after a cycle ends but yeh... took me 25 minutes to get into phase with my group today. The few times people have taken a risk to leave phase, they've generally gotten stuck waiting to get back in. It's gross.
    • Like x 2
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Devs did a good thing IMO by hard capping the phase but they created another issue. Now we try to inv ppl to a group an they cant phase with us (even league members). I propose that group leaders get an alert telling us the ohase is capped so we know NOT to try an bring more in AND an alert when spots open so we can get ppl in asap. Also i propose softening the cap so at least if we are inviting our own league they can come in because its same league. Either way the hard cap is goid because it keeps the game playable But its absolutly brutal now because dont know when to invite someone an its makin lots mad
    • Like x 2
  9. Mentana New Player

A good idea that has bad consequences is not a good idea. Entry into a phase via a group invite was a workable system. Now the system is broken, and LFG is even more useless for grouping up for bounties. Want to fix it? Back out the hard cap, or lower the phase cap (perhaps dynamically) so that all phases are forced to be equally full. This game already has enough luck-based transactions. Let's not have falling into the "right" phase be one of them.
    • Like x 1
  10. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

When someone said on test the raids couldn't be too hard for 8 man I replied saying it wouldn't be a issue because there would be always more than 8 players around. Well, it was true on test, there were either more than 8 players or just a few players, the phasing issues didn't even come to my mind.

The bosses do indeed need to be toned down or scale properly to 8-10 man groups, unless they make new tech so the phases work in a more intelligent way, in this aspect I disagree with you. One of the main reasons we have this problems with open world content and always had is phasing not working very well.
    • Like x 1
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Your post doesn't belong in the bug section. The recent changes are working as intended.
    • Like x 1
  12. AV Loyal Player

Been a while since I srsly played other MMOs as much as I play DCUO but I can't remember phasing in other games or having such server issues. Hell, FFXI had 3hr long 64-man raids on PS2 almost 20 years ago and, while there'd be a lil chug here and there like every game when there's a bajillion ppl together when the THF would pull the entire zone so we could pick off the key mobs, it worked. The leveling zones would typically have as many ppl as the bounties, if not more, and were fine. Again, this was two decades and 2 hardware generations ago. Is this a code issue with DCUO? Or a server provider limitation? Or an UE limitation? DCUO does a ton really fantastically but the server system feels like it's running on potatOS.
    • Like x 1
  13. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Apologies, i figured frustrating players to no end because they aren't able to phase with their groups was NOT working as intended so figured this place was best. If that was their goal then sure. Where should i post this then? Cause im just trying to let them know the issue they created and also how their solution to phase stacking is a good one just needs to be friendly to group builders is all
  14. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

They are trying to hold the limit of the amount of players in a server.
  15. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

This wouldn't be as bad if the heroes and villains were not mixed. If they are going to try to hold a set number of players in a server then they need to go back to different phases for heroes and villains like they did back in Central City when it came out. Otherwise when you are the single hero or villain in a phase with a ton of the opposite faction you are basically screwed if you cannot get to another phase.
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Suggestions usually get posted in General Gameplay.
  17. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I think the issue is pretty simple:
    40ppl are in a room. And there's 40ppl in another room, room 2. Room 1 has all the people fighting the bosses, melts fast. Room 2 only has 15ppl fighting bosses, everyone else is farming or doing dailies. The bosses are still scaled to 40 players. Guessing, but it makes sense, no? They never feel scaled, if its 8ppl it's been impossible so far. I was under the impression that we would want smaller groups because if there were 40+ players attacking them, they would become near invincible
    • Like x 1
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The scaling only counts players within the boss fight/map overlay. We are looking at the feedback and numbers from the weekend for further adjustments.
    • Like x 4
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We will look to improve this overall. The battles and the zone are built to scale to 40ish players, though we can tweak that up and down some. Neither are built to scale to 200 players, which just cannot be permitted, regardless of how easy or guaranteed that makes winning.

Battle difficulty needs further adjustment, which the live feedback is helping us hone in on, so that players don't feel they need a bloated zone to win.

For reference, zones should have (should have had) a soft cap for population and a hard cap for population. Once a zone reaches the soft cap, no one will be pushed into that zone UNLESS they are in a group with someone there or phasing to someone in a group there. The idea is to leave that bit of room over the random players showing up so groups can still get together.

The hard cap wasn't functioning properly with launch relating to phasing, and is now. That said, we are looking to adjust the soft cap (and potentially the hard cap) to allow more overhead for group mates to get in.

That said, folks looking to get their whole group into the most populated phase will still just not be able to do so. It will hit the hard cap and be full. Instead, the players in that full zone will want to phase to one of the group mates that didn't make it in. Scaling/difficulty changes should help the impression that the only way to win is to bloat a phase.

-

Glancing at live now, there are three themysciras at the max hard cap, and dozens of others with population in the 30s. If you're desperately trying to get into one of those maxed out phases, you're going to be frustrated. If you are willing to have group mates phase out of those full phases to others, you'll have a better time playing together, and still should have the population to take down the bosses.

We're watching the data and will continue to make adjustments. Check the official thread for themyscira for the latest details.
    • Like x 8
  20. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

There's no way to sugar coat this. The groups of high 30's and into the 40s could beat the bounties.
    Anything less couldn't.
    I saw several fights of 20+ fail in attempting the bounties and there were strong players in those groups.
    You also had to phase to get to them as well.
    Staying in the phase you started in was not an option in any shape, way, or form unless you were lucky enough to start in a populated bounty spam phase.
    The strong hero spams had hardly any villains in it and the strong villain spams had few if any heroes.

Basically if you weren't in an extremely large group and were not in their phase, you had no chance whatsoever against these new bounties.
    • Like x 3