Issues with Steam Wallet and Daybreak cash

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sprout Robinson, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Sprout Robinson Active Player

At some point in my first day or so of the game I got told I needed at least $5 in Steam purchases in order to play with my friend. I threw $5 in my Steam Wallet and figured that'd be great because I could play a bit and then make an informed decision about what I wanted to spend the $5 on. I have decided I want to purchase the Lair upgrade for $5 (mostly for the other account benefits) and initially couldn't figure out how to get the game to even recognize that I had money in my Steam account. After a few days of problems and a couple emails to Steam, daybreak is recognizing the $5 now, but wants to charge $0.40 in tax (so paying a total of $5.40 for 5 Daybreak Cash. Which is a bit obnoxious; just make it a direct conversion or at least list the real price that includes the tax, but I get it).

The tax however is causing the whole dang system to throw a fit. Daybreak keeps going "You only have $5 in your wallet and this $5 ACTUALLY costs $5.40, so we'll redirect you to Steam.' and Steam keeps going "Oh you want to add more money to your Steam Wallet? Here's a button to add $5 more dollars." This feels scammy as hell, and I confirmed with Steam that you can only add money in $5 increments.

What are my options? There's a $10 bundle but I assume I'll run into the same tax issue. Will I always have leftover money sitting there doing nothing no mater what I do? I hate this. Why can't I pay for just the thing I want? It seems like I can't get the $5 refunded either even though I haven't purchased an actual item with it. Can I cut out the middleman and just pay using my debit card? I don't even see that as an option, it keeps directing me to Steam . I feel like I got hustled.

I've been trying to get this figured out for a week now so I do apologize if that frustration is coming across in my message. Thanks for your time everybody
  2. Draconiano Committed Player

Are you sure about that? When I'm trying to buy something and I don't have enough in the steam wallet there is a button to add the exact amount of money to fulfill the payment, no more no less, but I'm in another region so maybe things are different here.
    • Like x 1
  3. Sprout Robinson Active Player

Yeah unfortunately. It presents me with a $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 buttons and nowhere to put in a custom amount. I have emailed back and forth with them and they have confirmed that I am required to do that, and that any unused money will sit in my wallet and cannot be refunded to me.

A forum on Steam recommended a chrome add-on which magicks in a custom button somehow, but there's a $5 minimum so I can't just slide that 40 cents in there. I would have to try and get my original $5 refunded so I can turn around and add exactly $5.40 in, or else I would have to pick out something slightly pricier and then make sure I add on the exact change I'll need. Either way, seems like more fuss than I'd prefer.

*** If anybody else tries out the add-on and doesn't want change sitting in their wallet, make sure you log into the game first and figure out exactly how much tax is getting added to the thing you want to purchase in your region so that you can get exact custom amount you'll need added to your wallet. Forum seemed to be at general consensus that it works

Personally I'm going to avoid the Steam Wallet entirely and buy DBC directly from Daybreak if I ever decide to get something else. Lotta bologna on Steam's end but Daybreak was super polite and helpful.
  4. Dwild Well-Known Player

I have the game through Steam too. Not sure which one charges the tax...think it's DayBreak when I buy something but I could be wrong. One of them does. And yes...Steam will only let you add to your wallet in $5.00 increments...you can put in as much as you like but has to be a multiple of 5...you can put in 100. But when you go to DayBreak vendor and try to purchase more DayBreak Cash, one of them tacks on the tax for the purchase...so you end up with extra "cents" left over in your wallet. Death and Taxes...they always come for you from some direction. (Although now it's "Death AND Taxes" because Government taxes your assets (even though they already taxed them while you're alive) if you die and your heirs want the money you left for them. You earn it, government taxes it. You die, your heirs try to claim it...Government taxes THEM for it all over again. Welcome to Government Accountancy 101.
    • Like x 1
  5. Sprout Robinson Active Player

Steam's a booger. Seems like Daybreak makes you buy set increments of DBC, but they at least seem to line up with increments used for stuff in the store and it doesn't make you buy weird amounts of extra DBC to cover the tax they're charging; it just gets added on at checkout. Way more straightforward.