Stargirl renewed to Season 2

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Eve, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Eve YouTuber

[IMG]

Seems like they are moving it to the CW Though. I hope it doesn't hurt the budget or the show.
    I mean CW has great shows, but They already have too many shows. And I stopped enjoying Supergirl and Legends ages ago, and Batwoman was nice. And The first season of Stargirl (Even though It's not completed yet)
    is great so far and I don't want the show to loose It's "Magic".

What do you guys think? Are you excited for the show to be renewed?
    • Like x 2
  2. Stardazer Committed Player

I've actually really been enjoying Stargirl so far! I didn't expect to like it so much, especially since the CW shows like Supergirl, Legends, and even Flash just got a little boring for me and I fell off like 2-3 seasons in. But then, like you said, it worries me as they are moving it to CW. I hope it doesn't change the quality of the show - production and writing wise especially.
    • Like x 2
  3. Eve YouTuber

For Flash, I watch it with my big brother so we really enjoy it together. Think the writing for this show is still good. The rest yeah, I totally agree. We can only wait and see. I do not understand why they moved it either, unless they plan to do crossovers. Which is fine, but I remember Supergirl cross-overing with Flash before she joined the CW. So if that's the reason - they could do the same without moving her? I don't know lol
    • Like x 1
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

stargirl has been a very nice surprise. i wasn't expecting to be enjoying it so much. i almost wish the kids decided they weren't ready yet to take over for the JSA and instead named themselves and the show Infinity Inc. love seeing yolanda and beth (and rick) redeemed in this series. you have to love seeing two obscure characters that were killed off in the comics decades ago go on to star in their own television series.

next episode cant come soon enough.
    • Like x 2
  5. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

Ironically while people continue to praise certain seasons, the viewership and budget has dropped for all their shows. Even the disliked season 1 of legends had double the viewers of the fan favorite season 4 and 5.
  6. Magnificent Loyal Player

I gave Stargirl a chance but didn't expect to make it through the whole season. Man was I wrong! Aside from the simplistic high school clique stereotypes (which kind of make sense now), the writing has been very solid. It's right up there with (and possibly surpasses) the early writing on Arrow and Flash. It's one of the few shows right now where I make sure to watch the latest episode almost as soon as it's released.

Stargirl is a SOLID show. The characters are all different and have a depth that helps you understand them. The emotional aspects (like Mike's confrontation with Courtney over Pat, for example) are important to the movement of the characters but are short and to the point, they aren't the main focus. The fights are fast-paced and very well-scripted for a TV show (considering how many of them there are). The intro fight in E1 and the 2nd face-off between Court and Cindy (where the only premonition of it coming is a split-second glimpse of Courtney in the mirror) were incredibly well done and have set a great bar for other shows to attempt to meet. But

I worry over its move to the CW. The writing on Arrow began to suffer once they transitioned him from ruthless vigilante to angsty navel-gazer. While Flash was never ruthless, the writing on it has transitioned from deep storylines with a little drama and surprising twists to predictable and shallow storylines that are more angsty than action and rely far too much in miracle tech Sisco or Wells pull out of thin air. Supergirl moved from CBS to CW and went into social preaching mode in almost every episode. Legends had the most potential of all the shows but decided to go the ultra cheese route (I've never been a big fan of scifi that is purposely cheesy).

And then there's Crisis... Somehow CW was able to take one of the best-known storylines in comicdom and turned it into a 1960's B movie with graphics that would have been stellar at the time but are incredibly sub-par now.

I haven't watched Batwoman, her appearance during Crisis was so underwhelming that I had absolutely no interest.

The shows coming from DC's streaming service have mostly surpassed all of the ones from CW. Titans, Doom Patrol, even the 2nd half of Swamp Thing (the first half dragged out like a root canal) and even the Harley cartoon has had moments of brilliance (like the drunken and frazzled take on Jim Gordon) but I stopped watching during the Robin-nemesis episode as that got just too silly for me. I really wish DC would keep it as one of the stables of their streaming channel and just allow CW to re-broadcast it.
  7. Magnificent Loyal Player

I never read Infinity Inc but now I'm kind of glad I didn't so I can be surprised by the "new" characters. One thing I am loving about this show is they aren't afraid on taking chances with stories like...

**********SPOILERS**********

killing The Wizard's kid, then him and his family and then the janitor turning out to be The Shining Knight.
  8. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

If you're a fan of pre Crisis Earth 2 it could be worth a go. Yolanda, Beth and Rick were all introduced during the Crisis about two years in and have been "de-aged" into high school students. Yolanda was a writer for a "Rolling Stones" type magazine, Beth was already a doctor and Rick was Rick, bad boy trouble maker. Brainwave Jr. is the only "original" Infinitor. Infinity Inc was where Tod Macfarlane started his professional career.

I've always been a little surprised DC never tried bringing the series back but the JSA series started n the late 90's doubled as an extension of Infinity Inc as much as it was the JSA.
    • Like x 1
  9. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

They really needing to stop calling a group of teens playing dressup JSA. I like to show, but for instance, Stargirl...no real evidence or proof that her father was Starman. She just assumes b/c they both died on the same night...thats all. So that reference is VERY weak. Hourman is rock steady when it comes to his kid. The goggle girl...totally random. She basically STOLE the goggles by lying to Courtney's parents to gain unpermitted entry into her house and room, then starting going through her things like a common criminal. Atleast wildcat was chosen but still, the masks cheeks are WAY too puffy. It looks silly, Still, it would have been good if all the kids were actually the kids of the original JSA.
    • Like x 1
  10. Magnificent Loyal Player

I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this. Having them all be kids of the original JSA would just be lazy writing, to me. Lazy writing begets more lazy writing so a series built on such a foundation isn't going to be all that interesting as they would pretty much all have the same backgrounds and motivations with only small changes here and there (more on that later in this post). Don't get me wrong, it can be done (see: Infinity Inc, Super Sons or the original Teen Titans series) but usually the most interesting aspect of those series is more on enemy-of-the-week and less on the growth of the character (I guess it could be argued that being raised in such an environment pushes enough character growth so that the character is more fully realized by the time they team up with others and those others are thus roughly equally formed as well).

A group of individuals from wildly differing backgrounds though... that makes for more wide-ranging dynamics to captivate the audience. It also lends the story a little more of a real-world feel (I mean, how many offices or businesses do you frequent where everyone there is doing the exact same job their parents did?).

Let's look at the characters thus far:

Courtney/Stargirl: The new kid, the friendly outsider looking for friends and trying to fit in within this new environment but failing. While the writers have set around her the trappings of being Starman's daughter, thus far it's still only circumstantial. There still hasn't been a single concrete piece of evidence tying the two together biologically. Her mother has no pictures of him and hasn't seen the JSA photos yet to confirm/deny his being her father. It may still be that Courtney is not his daughter.

Yolanda/Wildcat: Pretty, popular, friendly, outgoing and smart, Yolanda was the "it" girl at school right up until giving into temptation met up with jealousy from another and crushed her entire world. She went from having it all to having pretty much nothing and being trapped within the frustration of not being able to escape it. She was given the chance to be the next Wildcat and quickly discovered it gave her that escape she was sorely needing. She could feed her inner need to do something positive to feel good about herself while the scenario has kept the scowling disapproval of her mother and other classmates from interfering.

Beth/Dr. Midnight: Brilliant but sheltered, an over-achiever who is over-filled with a bubbly, talkative enthusiasm that borders well into annoyance. The goggles/AI become the friend she's never had and the viewer can understand and feel that. She's not in it for being a hero, she's in it for the camaraderie provided her by the AI. Doing heroic things is more of side-effect she willingly takes on in order to not lose her newfound friend. Along that same line, the girl that has never belonged to any real group now has a place in one and is making real flesh-and-blood friends because of the goggles. Both of these aspects help push her beyond what would be her normal (VERY safe and structured) boundaries.

Rick/Hourman: The only verified child of a JSA member. Rick's parents died at the hands of the ISA, leaving a very young Rick in the hands of a resentfully abusive uncle. This upbringing changed Rick from a happy, positive youth to a sullen and withdrawn outsider. When we meet his character we can see he's at a crossroads between his natural inclination and what his upbringing has made of him.

Each one of those characters already has their own deep and rich background with strengths, weaknesses, flaws and differing moral codes that lead not only to interesting struggles within the character and their own stories but also with dealing with one another as well as the group. The addition of superpowers to these individuals then throws enough of an extra curveball into these developing characters as to make their paths as different from one another as they are interesting to watch. As an example, look at Court's approach to hero-ing then contrast that against Beth's.

Now compare them to something like Super Sons (the sons of Superman and Batman). While both John and Damian have some depth, they are also both a bit more generic than those listed above as they naturally pull greatly from the template of their fathers. The stories are fun and somewhat interesting, but they could just as easily be "Superman and Batman as children" without having to change the characters too much.

And finally, I agree on Wildcat's mask cheeks.
    • Like x 1