2020 Name Reclaim Event

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ACLife, Jun 15, 2020.

1. ACLife Active Player

Can everyone please consider an upvote for a possible Name Reclaim Event? There are so many lost names due to people no longer playing the game. A possible name reclaim parameter could be f2p with no login in 5 years. Like the name ICE, where is that name?

Please thoughtfully consider this suggestion.

Thank you!
    • Like x 16
  2. Darth Piper Loyal Player

No. This has been brought up before. It won’t happen.
    • Like x 6
  3. ACLife Active Player

oh well. never hurts to ask a plethora of times, right? :) With the way this year is going, maybe just maybe, it could happen if enough people upvote, possibly maybe. hopefully. :p
  4. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

That is INCORRECT!
    • Like x 3
  5. Schimaera Devoted Player

Don't expect to get anything from a name reclaim without paying, OP. If there would be another one, I'd be taking a day off just to claim some names since it appears that people really really really really want some special names in this game instead of just going for something else. Sounds like an opportunity for me.

And I don't mean "xxXXN4m3XXxx" instead of "Name". I spend most of my time in character creation (in any MMO) on the name selection screen. If something is already taken, go for something else. Be creative.
    The only time I ever had a special character in a toon's name was "Bravebírd" after someone else took the name when I renamed this toon for the first time (for reasons I'm still mad about ^^). I
    • Like x 1
  6. High Troller Loyal Player

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  7. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Oh, look, this again. :rolleyes:

No. No. No. Also nope.
    • Like x 2
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, there's this thread and someone in another thread asked for the Back from the Hack Batman mask as a Batman day gift/reward. So I guess all we need is a "Lantern Healer" thread and we have a trifecta of sorts. :D
    • Like x 2
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Where's our option to down-vote this thread?

I will never be in favor of this idea, it backfired for a reason.
    • Like x 2
  10. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

It's an idea that's long overdue. I have great faith in the reasonableness of the developers and that they will soon realize that their early decisions against this idea were in error.

I have less faith in the reasonableness of the players against this for they have yet to demonstrate that capacity.
    • Like x 2
  11. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

How exactly does this affect/hurt active players again? The backlash for these much-needed quality of life improvements baffles me.
  12. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Derived from how it was put in another thread on this very subject:

What's wrong, did you run out of names you've been sitting on to sell at ridiculously inflated prices?

That's the underlying thing with this "name reclaim" stuff... it's one thing to reclaim a name from an account that has been perma-banned, but those names will carry any baggage associated with the player who was banned. It's another to just say that because X hasn't logged in for 3 years it's time to take away that character's name.
  13. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

Ok, let me get this straight. Let's say the name X isn't available because someone grabbed in 5 years ago and never played since. That player isn't coming back to "use" it.

You are upset at the prospect that Daybreak frees up that name and someone else claims it. And then for whatever reason might turn around and sell it to someone else who wants that name and never had any chance to get it in the first scenario for in game money of which they don't mind parting with in this new scenario.

That's the "problem."

Dude, why does this affect you so much? Why care so much about who grabs new names and what they do with it? Some other people had the chance to get X as a name. It never affected your ability to play or how you play in anyway.
  14. StealthBlue Loyal Player

It doesn't affect any active players negatively, but we've had some name reclaims in the past and they have always had the exact opposite affect of what is wanted by the people that make these threads (unless their real desire is to snatch up names to sell). So we know that name reclaims aren't the answer, and within a week of a reclaim, someone would make another thread like this because they couldn't get the name they wanted.

With name reclaims, several people reserve names to sell. So more than likely even if the name you want is currently on an account that's inactive, you won't end up with it. Also, there could be some names available right now that would be snatched up by name sellers (because they may not be actively looking right now).

And by the way, while name selling might not be explicitly against the terms of service, it can result in intentional (or even unintentional) trade fraud and isn't a supported type of trade. When someone sells a name, it isn't immediately available for someone else to use. If I remember correctly, the account has exclusive access to the name for a short amount of time (either hours or days), then anyone could snatch it up. So you've paid someone for the name, and even if they provide proof that they've renamed the character, you might not get it. They could either rename another character on the account within the time limit (so you can't see on you friends list that the character was named back to what you bought) or someone else beats you to the punch when it's available for other accounts again.

Also, there are still good and interesting names available. I even managed to find a name in the format "adjective noun" (like Superman or Wonder Woman) recently and was surprised it wasn't taken on any server. You could even "create" a word, like I did for my electric character (it basically makes you think he's been stuck by lightning). Some people go to Google translate and type in what they wanted to use and see what it is in other languages. You could even mix languages if you have more than one word in the name.
    • Like x 1
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

Name reclaim event.

Expectation: "Yay, I will finally be able to use Og Batmanfromearth3!"

Reality: "Selling name Og Batmanfromearth3 for 393m".
    • Like x 1
  16. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Don't assume to know what others want out of a name reclaim event. One, we are not a monolithic group. Two, there's an argument to made that it would help everyone by keeping new players coming and old ones staying.

I am in favor of a name reclaim, yet I realize it would definitely effect me personally in a negative way. I already have several desirable names. Since desirable names are so rare (because so many of them are rotting on dead accounts) that makes mine even more valuable. A name reclaim event would cheapen my account to the benefit of the community that gets to play the names they want.

It's going to happen sooner or later. If it happens later it'll be a last desperate attempt to keep the game viable. I'd rather we do it sooner.
  17. Trexlight Devoted Player

The Last name Reclaim didnt benefit anyone. While it was needed last time, i wouldnt expect it to happen again. Even if/when the Xbox and Switch come around, a name Reclaim will do nothing but upset players on all sides.
  18. Mazahs Loyal Player

After thoughtful consideration
    [IMG]
  19. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Oh please, spare me the malarkey.

Every single one of you who makes a name reclaim thread are NOT doing this to help with new players finding a name, you just aren't. The "new players are struggling to find names" argument was used last time, and did any new player find names they could actually use? No.

Most of the names that got freed up last go around were put to a low level character that's being used to reserve a name to be sold.
    New players are going to be F2P, they will not have the required money pocketed away to buy the names yall are selling.

Stop implying the idea that a name reclaim helps new players, It doesn't do that at all in anyway shape or form.

Veteran/Broker Players are the main beneficiaries of the name reclaim, not a new player who just installed DC.
    • Like x 3
  20. Solarbound Committed Player

If we upvote this and the DEVS actually follow through on it, what if someone takes the name "ICE" before you? -_-
    • Like x 1