Why I just cancelled my sub - my perspective

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mazahs, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Mazahs Loyal Player

I'll try not to make this a rant, but I want the devs to understand why another member stopped subbing.
    I'm not deleting the game, and I'll be on from time o time but the faucet that has been my wallet (for now) is turned off.

I think it's important you know about my time here and in game.
    I purchased this game, about 30 days after launch in 2011... Yes you read that correctly! I'm one of probably just a few left that actually have the disk & still play. I have been an active member on the forums almost the same amount of time. In fact I'm on my 3rd or 4th name:cool: , as I "may" have gotten a few bans from SOE MOD (shudder) Spytle and finally Mepps over the years.

I can't justify paying a monthly subscription anymore for the following reasons:
    1. I'm bored- No I don'y have max SP or Max CR but my main 3 toons are 303,302 & 302 in both roles. Lately I log in do my BOP dailies and log off. Most days I won't even run all 3 thru them cause...well I'm bored. Back in the day I ran dailies, then PVP'd for HOURS on end.
    2. PVP- Don't tell me it's not a broken JOKE or you cannot monetize it. That's BS & I'm calling you on it. This game kept many people on for hours after PVE stuff was done. If people like me are logging off that quickly each day, you can't make ANY $$ of us. It's sad really, since PVP in this game is so unique
    3. Artifacts-I'm not going to say it's P2W since there is nothing to win, BUT it sure is Pay to Keep up. I normally use my loyalty points to get seals, but if you are running both roles you are using at least 4 different artifacts & sometimes 6. Why am I going to pay you $15 per month then blow thru countless seals to try and get a breakthru, then go buy a seal of completion? Because RNG is terrible
    I really have enjoyed this game over the years & while I'm no whale I can safely safely say in these 9+ years I honestly have spent thousands of dollars above my sub. I have stuck around mostly because I love the lore of the game, the mechanics of the game and the people I've met and played with over the years.
    Really wish I could put this more eloquently, as some forumites do, and hope this doesn't devolve into the typical thread you see from time to time.
    Also, NO you CANNOT have my stuff! I'm sticking, premium style. Hopefully they fix or address some of the problems I noted. I'd like to be playing this game or maybe a new DC when the PS5 drops.
    • Like x 10
  2. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Hey, welcome to the club.

While that is discouraging for me that you are dropping your sub, being you are one of those people who have been helpful I believe to the game.

However, I just have to ask, besides the reason that people are not running PvP, can you let me know what you think the problem is and why they do not want to join PvP matches?

Not to call you out or anything, but I continue to hear the complaints but I never really hear why people are saying it.

Keep in mind though, I do know that for the longest time people have felt that it should be just powers and no sodas or buffs, with no HT anything.

Seems to me that you could actually give some guidance on the subject, without sounding to dramatic.
  3. Wallflower Level 30

Definitely know how you feel. Been playing since Beta and would probably have quit a long time ago if I hadn't spent so much money on the game that it now feels like an investment. I feel like the parent who spends thousands on their kid to only watch them flounder.
    • Like x 1
  4. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Sorry, but I just can’t hold back, it’s stronger than me :D at least once someone can be a “real man”, burn down all the bridges and give out their stuff? :D sorry again :D
  5. Mazahs Loyal Player

Since you asked first, and if I ever do then sure ;)
    • Like x 1
  6. Roocck Committed Player

Sorry to hear that another loyal player feel this way, these same reasons Is why I also have been loosing interest, pushing me away to play other games. As much as I love to play DCUO, I have also been thinking of canceling my sub again. It’s just to pricey to play and be good with both roles now on days. Good luck
    • Like x 1
  7. L T Devoted Player

PVP keeps players in the game. There is literally no reason to monetize it beyond that.
    DAMMIT!
    • Like x 1
  8. HL4LYFE Well-Known Player

1. I dont know if i could say boring all the time, but yea tedious is where i stand

2. Personal Opinion, i have never cared for pvp, for me it was always just for feats, i hate any and all pvp in every game tho not just dcuo

3.100% agree, i like the artifacts themselves but the amount of money hungy shenanigans needs to be fixed, this game is no longer alt friendly bc of the artifacts alone, they seriously contribute to like 80% of your character, 10% to gear and 10% to sp. I absolutely despise how they have implemented this

To add on to issues i take, is Time Capsules, i dont have to buy them an i absolutely refuse to buy them, but that doesnt mean I dont have the right to dislike them. im still hoping so badly that they get banned from gaming. there is a marketplace to sell these cosmetic styles but they had to resort to gambling, if i were to just 100% completely quit the game this is the number 1 reason, yes i despise loot boxes this much, DCUO is lucky im still playing bc most games with these stupid things i dont even give a chance
    • Like x 1
  9. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

new dc...PS5 drops...thinking the same thing
    • Like x 1
  10. EP Ice Loyal Player

Man, I thought I was the only one bored! I hop on and run one toon through the dailies and then log off. Lately, it’s been hard enough to just login because the game keeps having issues like it is at this very moment!
    • Like x 1
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

So you're going to go on playing the game, anyway, but simply don't want to support it any more in monetary terms.

It would be a more convincing demonstration that the game is no longer fun to play if you actually stopped playing entirely. In no way am I implying you are under the faintest obligation to stop. I'm just noting that by your own statement, the game is still worth playing.

Not that you're wrong about PvP being broken, of course. But it's also extremely normal for someone playing a game for nine years or so to simply eventually get bored with it, no matter what the devs do (who are still creating fresh content after nine years). That's really not a solvable problem other than by either quitting or taking long breaks.
    • Like x 1
  12. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Google "sunk costs fallacy."
    • Like x 1
  13. AquiloFury Committed Player

We can hope lol. I'm still mostly happy with the game right now though.
    • Like x 1
  14. Remi King Active Player

I don't think the devs actually know HOW to fix pvp, and that's what's killing the population of this game, i have friends that would play Dcuo if they had pvp. This generation consists of pvp players, just look at Fortnite, Cs, Elder Scrolls Online, League Of Legends, the biggest games are all pvp, there are literally hundreds of millions of pvp players in our generation and Dcuo saying they don't know how to make money off of pvp is a complete joke. This is the reason why i log into Dc Universe and then after 10 minutes, log off. I am constantly looking for a new game, cause i am absolutely bored to crap with doing the same pve content everyday without the variation of being able to play pvp also, i love this game, i wish they would fix pvp, but i cant take it anymore, i can't stand fighting the same npc's over and over every damn day.
    • Like x 1
  15. Zamara Dedicated Player

You probably know this by now but you can still do the open world stuff without membership and get the same marks, only difference will be the gear you get from the capsules boxes but it seems like you got that covered already.
  16. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

get rid of the word mostly and id echo that statement...
    • Like x 2
  17. Irvynnge Loyal Player

thirded! thirded. . .thirded. . .
    • Like x 1
  18. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

gee...what would that look like!!!???
    [IMG]
    yeah...that's pretty Fed up man...
  19. MrMigraine Devoted Player

:(
  20. Toshknight Loyal Player

i to have played for nearly 10 years. and it's a long time to put into an mmo. its the second mmo maybe 3rd. I've put lots of time into. first was SWG, and Wow sorta on and off, then Swtor, but SWG and This game i have put the most into i would say, and its not just an investment, its a question if you are having fun with that 15 bucks a month, and what ever else you spend if you feel on market place stuff. i get why you're un subbing, i've taken several breaks, but the one thing DCUO is different from then any other mmos, besides ever-quest NEXT, is that it's a server side loading mmo, meaning no mods, it loads as it plays, all that kinda stuff,"i could go into it, but think of it like in wow you can put mods in a folder and change your UI, in this game you can't do that. ", i digress.

i think its good to leave at times, maybe you will feel different after a break from subbing, i sub because the money i put into this game, that 15 bucks, the difference of what i get between what i don't get when playing as a premium account, the time i put in the game with a premium account , i don't get nearly half as much, i actually bought all the dlcs. up until the last laugh, back then and tried doing a premium only with a beefed up premium account, the cash thing is a big thing with me, its worth it to me to sub, i get double the inv space, i get more bank space, faster cool downs. more perks all together, for putting my time into it.

this game isn't all rainbows and unicorns, it has it's large amount of bugs, im not gonna try and name all of them , many other do that heh, but one of the thing's about soe aka daybreak, is their games are very well made when it comes to core gameplay, there may be a sH## ton of bugs but is it still fun to engage, heck ya, how many people do you see in the WT yelling at eachother about how the game sucks, btw we need cross faction chat , "no not a player made chat tab only " im talking PST, and just general chat , it worked great in SWG, by the same company, it brings the factions together and has them less likely to argue with eachother and create alliances, and not alliances against each other but the other faction, these are just some of the things that annoy me as a subscriber, i feel like you know whats going on.

The game also is on a console. one of the only really successful mmo's that was on a PS3 and merged to PS4 along with the PC as it grew, will it go to PS5, Probably imo, we have limitation for the game being on console. not any hate towards console, i have a ps4 , i just play DCUO on PC, its something we have to think about when coming across bugs and needed fixes in this game, it takes time, and with the #stayhome pandemic, we are not gonna get as many fixes as we would normally, it sucks, but they are trying with the extra events, but overall, that's a big Feat , no pun intended when you have a MMO, with a big property IP like DC Comics, that lives on nearly 10 years with 2 cycles of console and pc, AND shares the servers. not forgetting Xbox and switch servers, never really heard of anyone that plays on those LOL JK.

DCUO is very unique and i won't give up on it, a break is needed maybe. i dunno or maybe its just ran its course with your gaming time. but anyway, i just wanted to give my thoughts on this game and quitting/taking breaks, bugs and the achievements it has accomplished. i know this was long but thanks for reading, i just chugged a big cup of coffee so sorry for the rant. CHEERS ALL!!
    [IMG]