Ice Tank Skill Loadout

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by MrStoob, May 2, 2020.

1. MrStoob Well-Known Player

Sooo... having spent some time moving skills about, and annoying the odd party as I fumbled with an unfamiliar set up, I have arrived at and it seems to work well for me:

Reflection
    Winter Ward
    Shatter Restraints
    Resonating Gale
    Bitter Winds, which I am particularly enjoying using now for whipping up mobs.
    Inescapable Storm.

Thanks again.
  2. Frankzilla Committed Player

Ice tank is ruines super squishy no where near balanced
  3. MrStoob Well-Known Player

Sorry? I don't get you.
  4. Frankzilla Committed Player

Ice is the only tank powerset that would have to kite in fbe. If you dont get that then.......
  5. MrStoob Well-Known Player

I get you now. Other post wasn't very clear.

Anyhoo. On the Resto/Dom shields thing, I reset me stats a few times and pumped my available points one time all into dom, another all into resto, and a third 2/1 dom/resto. Crunching the numbers purely based on the relevant part of the calculation (Dom*150%)+(Resto*112.5%), the 2/1 hybrid came out on top by about 700 odd points. Not HUGE, but more.
  6. RahRah Active Player

As an ice tank, there's no such thing as too many shields. Yeah, sure some people can tank with 3 shields just fine, but there's no harm in having extras... Especially for when one of those pop - disappear - the instant you activate it (hard light does it sometimes). My ice tank runs FIVE shields... Yes, 5 lol. Loadout is Winter ward, hard light, reflection, shatter restraints (a little shielding, but a group breakout AND immunity, which is useful at times - Skull pull attack by Oracle Bot in Clocktower raid for example, means nobody gets pulled if they are not blocking), inescapable storm, and perfect poise. 5th shield is an emergency one - dampening field in utility belt - but is rarely used. I only run perfect poise, because I now use Eye of Gemini (at 200) instead of Dilustel. My other arts are mystic and manacles. If you don't use Eye of gemini, you don't need a supercharge, and can put resonating gale in place of it. Resonating gale is awesome for adds, because you pull them all to you with inescapable storm, then hit them with resonating gale to tightly group them together while at the same time knocking them down. This makes it easier for them to be burned by the dps, and debuffed by the troll (if there is one). Also, if you use chronometric emitters in your utility belt (advised), then once you have the adds grouped and knocked down with resonating gale, you can stun them with the emitters when they are getting back up... Then knock them down with resonating gale again, followed by the emitters (and repeat until they're killed). Timed well, this usually is very good crowd control that leaves them almost infinitely defenseless. For boss fights, you can switch out resonating gale for Frost snipe if you want, so that you can pull adds with inescapable storm and taunt the boss with the snipe (although it's not really needed unless 2 tanks are needed to seperate bosses etc, as mentioned by others).

EDIT: NEVER STACK SHIELDS, ALWAYS USE IN A ROTATION.
  7. RahRah Active Player

Not sure how many skill points you have, but I have 425 and put 265 in dom, 100 in resto, and the rest in health. It seems to work the best. Also, I now use 4 resto gen mods instead of dom (I know, it means a little weaker shields, but not enough to matter to be honest). I do this so I have a little more resto for the mystic procs. It may not be the best thing to do, but have more than enough dom with the gear and the maxed stat points + augs/arts. It's more of a personal preference, as it works very well for me.
  8. Ekart Committed Player

What exactly do you need to kite in FBe as an Ice tank?

My main loadout is this: Inescapable Storm, Winter Ward, Hard Light Shield, Dash Attack, Shatter Restraints, Reflection
    Consumables: Chronometric Emitter

Alternative skills i use: Amazonian Deflection, Sonic Cry, Messmerizin Laso, Frost Snipe
    Alternative Consumable: Personal Dampening Field

SP: Dominance Max, Resto (min) 100, Health 100
    Artifacts: Menacles, Symbol, EOG. But will also level Protoype for situations i can't tank with Dash Attack and need to switch loadout around.

Your loudout should depend on your tanking style and the boss fight you're in, so you should adjust accordingly.
  9. L T Devoted Player

I've used NVB with Earth in Alerts and on Open World Bosses. Works great there.

Raids not so much.
    • Like x 1
  10. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

the altered movement you are describing was taken away from the bat trinket in a recent update...only reason I know is the forums had some posts about it...it upset some bat users that it was taken away
  11. Mass_EuPs New Player

Ice tanks squishy...wow. Can run 5 shielding abilities and the pull. There’s nothing a half decent tank with ice and Amazon deflection won’t be able to tank. I personally have tanked solo the elites upon release as ice in sub par gear from the previous dlc’s. IMO content is progressively becoming less challenging. Bring back throne of the dead Elite or paradox challenge for tanking where mistakes and missed counters meant game over. Then you may have a point for any tank being squishy
  12. Mass_EuPs New Player

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that one rotates their shields. Personally I used them based on how much damage they mitigate, compared to the attack that I know is coming from the enemy. I also personally use my health pool as an extra shield inbetween shields. If you know the enemy can’t take all of your health then I find I always have a shield or two always off cool down for the oh **** moments if the heals go down etc