The New Costume Contest ...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black-Zero, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Updated the Back Style to... Aerial Defender, I believe.

[IMG]

[IMG]

A little closer in some ways, but still not close enough, but what can ya do? Also, it has no animated jet exhaust, or even any visible exhaust vents, so it still leaves a lot to be desired. :(
  2. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

My first attempt at brimstone
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Back to Cobra's forces again. I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea for some of Cobra's helmets, and decided to try my hand at making a Cobra Viper, with... mixed results.

The first problem was how to make their signature helmet, as there's really no helmet like it in the game. So, I decided to try the Investigator Face Style with the Silver Material applied to make the mirror-like face shield. The problem is that the face style still has a sculpted nose and eye sockets that mess up the look of it. And I tried several different Paramilitary-themed chests and was disappointed to find that the ones I thought would work the best don't because the color channel assignments are all wrong. But here's what I came up with:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now, some lighting in the game does eliminate most of the shadows, but you can still see the eye sockets and nose even in those situations:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

But the only Head Style with a face shield built in that even comes close is the Triface/Spacefarer, but that actually looks more like the helmet/head of Cobra's Battle Android Troopers than anything else:

[IMG]

[IMG]

So, at this point, there doesn't seem to be much more I can do with it. If we could get a True Chrome Material, and if it could wipe out the visible detailing of the nose and eye sockets, that might work. So, for now, this one's as done as I can get it.
    • Like x 4
  4. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Oh, one last thing with the Cobra Viper, I did try the Visitor's Head Style with it...

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's probably the best I can do right now, but it still isn't really right for them. I think it works better for Cobra Commander than for his Vipers. That Protector Head Style with a Face Style that gives the proper mirrored/chrome faceplate is what's needed. :confused:
    • Like x 3
  5. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Looking good :) I just trowed together a quick simillar style to see of there was a head peace you could use if you wanted be fore my lunch :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  6. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

Dawnbreaker Beyond. Assuming the Dark Multiverse is infinite, logically there must be a Dark Universe where a series of events led to Terry becoming Dawnbreaker when Bruce got old.

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  7. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Yet another PVP Style I don't have, 'cuz I only get them if and when they drop in the Vault or a Lockbox. But it still doesn't solve the inherent problem with using that Face Style. Basically, my idea was a bust for the Cobra Vipers and/or Cobra Commander. It just doesn't look right. :oops:
  8. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

Why not do what I did a few years ago? When it comes to the point you feel the new episode is more a chore than a game, just cave and pvp. It took me months and months of work, but it was good for getting the pvp styles and good for making me want to play that episode again. After all, when I got more sick of pvp than I did the pve episode I went back the pve episode. lol
    • Like x 1
  9. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

Don't worry about my left arm--or my right shoulder. I'm the Murder Machine. Which means I'm not just a Cyborg, I'm also a Batman. So I can handle both of those injuries with no problem.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  10. mynch457 Well-Known Player

11. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Not sure what you were trying to post, bud, but all we got on our end was "]". :confused:
  12. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

So, over the last week or so, I've been busy working on a character I've wanted to make for a long time, but I waited until now to have all the costume pieces available that I would need.

I grew up in that New Golden Age known as the 1980s, when some of the coolest science fiction and fantasy characters of all time were created. Every afternoon, we'd run home from school to catch all the great cartoons... besides re-runs of Super Friends (responsible, along with the Adam West Batman TV series, and the George Reeves Superman TV series, for my love of DC Comics characters from an early age) we'd catch the latest thrilling adventures of G.I.*Joe: A Real American Hero, Robotech, Voltron: Defender of the Universe, and... HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!

While I had a bunch of the figures and vehicles, and loved all of them, design-wise, He-Man himself was always the weak link in the series. The futuristic look of his gray harness clashed terribly with the barbarian garb on the rest of him. The outfit was a hodgepodge mess, In My Opinion, although I don't think I realized that initially.

Then came 1987, and the LIVE-ACTION Masters of the Universe MOVIE, and FINALLY He-Man was given an outfit that looked like it all went together, designed by European comics genius Moebius and William Stout, and worn quite memorably by Russian bodybuilder and actor Dolph Lundgren:

[IMG]

Very cool, but very tricky to pull off in DCUO. The grieves (foot style) is harder to achieve than you'd think. Even with all the Amazonian styles in the game, none of them works for this costume due to the poor choices of color slot placement and textures. Still, I made... well, I'll call it an homage to the movie He-Man costume:

[IMG]

In the game, we don't have a cape with little fleur de lis along the bottom edge, so I had to go in a slightly different direction there:

[IMG]

Flash forward a number of years. After letting the franchise lay dormant for more than a decade, in 2002, Mattel decides to launch a rebooted, revamped version of Masters. New figures, new cartoon, new costume design for He-Man, this one combining the best parts of both the original costume and the movie costume into what I now consider the definitive look for the character:

[IMG]

Over the years, we've had other, more modern redesigns of the character for concept art for the new movie that's still stuck in Development Hell after more than a decade, and for statues put out by various companies, things like that. Then last year, a company called Mondo put out a new 1/6th scale He-Man figure, their own artistic interpretation of the character that borrows heavily from the 2002 version all the same:

[IMG]

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Too bad we don't have a sword that looks even REMOTELY like any version of the Sword of Grayskull! :(

Lastly, as a kid, I had the Battle Armor He-Man figure, but aside from the Battle Damage gimmick, I was always disappointed that all our hero did was throw on a metal breastplate. Other than that one piece of armor, it was the same old He-Man, with arms and legs vulnerable to attack! Very disconcerting, if you ask me!

The 2002 redesign rectifies the problems only ever so slightly, with a little armor on the loin cloth:

[IMG]

But later on in that line, they came out with a wild new figure: SNAKE ARMOR HE-MAN! Finally, here was a He-Man with some proper ARMOR!

[IMG]

Sadly, Man-at-Arms' signature is all over this thing, with the worst asymmetrical design ever seen on an MOTU figure! The whole left side of He-Man's torso is unarmored and vulnerable! If Skeletor, Hordak, and King Hiss acutally had COMPETENT lackeys, he'd be in serious trouble! :eek:

So, I've always loved the idea of He-Man armored up for serious battle, but I've hated the execution of it for over 35 years! So, here's MY take on Battle Armor He-Man:

[IMG]

As soon as I can manage it, his hand style will be upgraded to the Ninth Tride Tyrant Bracers, 'cuz his forearms need a bit more protection. And I might switch out the legs if I find some I like better than the ones I'm using right now. But for the time being, I'm satisfied with my version of Battle Armor He-Man. He actually looks like he could survive a few blows! ;)

And I'm spent! Thanks for sticking around to the end!

[IMG]

P.S. We really need a new and improved Battle Harness, one that has a chest plate with an Emblem Mesh, so we can have emblems on the thing! And we need a Medieval Cross Emblem to stick on it! :p
    • Like x 3
  13. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Defenders of the earth
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

15. mynch457 Well-Known Player

Sorry, I was falling asleep and made the post in mistake, I'm so sorry!
  16. darth_paul Dedicated Player

Updates to my water heroine, Liquica!
    [IMG]
  17. Batman2099earthcold Committed Player

my current batsuit a mixed between injustice 2 batman and the telltale batman
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

So, last night, I finally went and grabbed the Ninth Tride Tyrant Bracers for He-Man, so his Battle Armor has now been udpated with those, and a different belt that's closer to the look of his belt on the 2002 costumes:

[IMG]

For his standard outfit, I tweaked the coloring a bit, and changed the Waist Style to Metalhead, because that belt has his signature Cross Emblem as the belt buckle, which was also seen on the belts worn by the 2002 version of the character:

[IMG]

While grabbing the Ninth Tride Tyrant Bracers, I was happily surprised to find that the One-Handed Weapon for that set uses the Roman Stinger Sword Style, so I grabbed that for him, as it reminds me of Prince Adam's Disguised Power Sword in the 2002 version (more on that in a bit) and so now this is his Power Sword for the time being:

[IMG]

If only the Devs had pointed the curved, horn-like guards DOWN the blade towards the point, instead of back towards his hand, it would look close enough to the 2002 Power Sword to make me very happy! But sadly, they had to get that hilt all wrong! :(

Now then, speaking of Prince Adam, that's what's been missing. Sadly, that character has the WORST color scheme imaginable for recreating him in DCUO, with at least 6 different colors needed in the Palette! o_O

Unfortunately, it is what it is. Filmation created the Prince Adam "Secret Identity" and the gaudy outfit worn by Adam for the He-Man and the MOTU cartoon in the '80s, and Mattel, in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:, has been A-okay with sticking with that color scheme to this day! o_O

So, with only 4 colors in the Palette, Prince Adam isn't very satisfactory:

[IMG]

Luckily, I long ago figured out that I can suplement my Palette with Materials when a character needs more than 4 colors. And the Royal Chroma Materials seemed tailor-made for this one. I had THOUGHT the Red Royal Chroma Materials would be PERFECT for this costume's chest, and then I could color the pants and boots as needed.

But even with 3 different Red Royal Chromas, it turns out we need a 4TH, because NONE of the 3 will give me a Red vest with Gold trim and a White turtleneck! :mad:

So, I turned to the Purple Royal Chromas for the pants and boots, knowing the results most likely wouldn't be quite what I wanted, and I was right.

Here's Prince Adam with Purple Pants and Boots:

[IMG]

[IMG]

It works, but it's still not quite right. So, I tried changing which Chroma I used on the pants, and got this:

[IMG]

Still not quite right, but I think it's the best I'm gonna do, so I'm leaving it at that. I DO love that the Guy Gardner Chest and Main Man Pants make him look more slender and less muscular than He-Man (except for those biceps that the shirt doesn't quite hide) because that just adds to the look introduced in 2002, where Adam is only 16 and is noticeably smaller than He-Man. Since the whole Prince Adam and He-Man dual identity, complete with transforming in a magical lightning bolt, was lifted verbatim from SHAZAM (a cartoon Filmation made about 5 years prior to He-Man and the MOTU) it was always surprising that Adam wasn't younger than He-Man in the original show (I guess Filmation didn't want to rip-off Billy Batson TOO much! :p) But in 2002, Mattel and Mike Young Productions finally went for the Billy Batson/Captain Marvel parallel 100%, and it's for the better, In My Opinion, because now the secret identity is far more believable than it was in the '80s!

Now we just need selectable Armory Animations, so I can have him change Armories in a flash of lightning when he changes from Adam to He-Man! ;)

P.S. With those reference images of Prince Adam, you can see what I mean about the Roman Stinger Sword somewhat resembling the 2002 Power Sword as it appears in its "disguised" or "retracted" mode it takes on when Prince Adam is carrying it. ;)

P.P.S. Every once in awhile, I go to the Marketplace and look at the Power Set Weapon Packs to see how some of the energy-based weapons might look with a different Material applied. And after looking at them last night, I decided to try the Sacred Sword for He-Man. Turns out it has the basic blade shape of the classic Power Sword "hidden" within its design! :eek:

[IMG]

Sadly, the hilt is all wrong. That, combined with the lack of detail when the Silver Material is applied, makes it a no-go for me. But still, just a curious thing I noticed. :)
    • Like x 2
  19. Quantomane Level 30

What is the emblem and belt u used?
    • Like x 2
  20. Quantomane Level 30

What's the shield called?